or Connect

Posts by diy speaker guy

Conclusions restated If you start with a simulation and lay out your fold with the advanced centerline method the physical horn should be a bit longer than if you laid it out with the centerline method. But when reverse engineering from a plan, the sim you end up with using the advanced centerline method should end up a little shorter than if you plotted it out with the centerline method. If a folding method is to be considered "correct", you should be able to start...
Refolding the F20 using the centerline and advanced centerline methods The next step in this experiment was to refold the horn using both the centerline and advanced centerline methods to see what would happen. I've already shown that my reverse engineered advanced centerline sim is closer to the measurement than the centerline sim. The advanced centerline sim is also almost exactly the same as the designer's orignal sim that he used to fold the horn in the first...
Comparing the simulations to the measurements The next step was to run the sims I made (both the centerline and the advanced centerline versions) to see which matches the measurements of the physical horn the best. Below is a picture showing both sims, advanced centerline on the left and centerline on the right. FIGURE 10 The advanced centerline sim (left) gives a very slightly higher tuning. When compared to the F20 measurement (Figure 3) the advanced centerline...
Reverse engineering the F20 using the centerline and advanced centerline methodsSince I started with a plan the first thing I had to do is reverse engineer it back to an accurate simulation. Lilmike did post his Hornresp inputs but I needed to reverse engineer my own to create two simulations, one based on the centerline method and one for the advanced centerline method.To begin the reverse engineering I used Sketchup to chop the blank F20 drawing into 37 segments. When...
The test subject Lilmike offered a blank Sketchup file of the plans for his Cinema F20 front loaded horn as a subject for me to study. When opened it Sketchup it looks like this. FIGURE 2 And he had built it and measured it too. Since his measurements are trustworthy, this is the perfect example to study, it means I wouldn't have to design a test protocol and build and measure my own example horn. Here's the F20 measurement. FIGURE 3 And a link to the F20 thread...
IntroductionSoho54 has been MIA for a couple of years now but while he was around he was one of the best resources for horn info in the forums. From his EZ horn design spreadsheet to his Akabak tuturial to his horn folding using sketchup tutorial, this guy did all the heavy lifting and gave us his results on a silver platter. And although I've only actually read a small percentage of his posts on the various forums he participated in, I've never seen anything to make me...
There's a lot of information here so for the people that don't want to follow the process to see how I conducted this experiment I'm showing my conclusions at the beginning (and also at the end). The conclusions are all you really need to read if that's all you are interested in. Conclusions If you start with a simulation and lay out your fold with the advanced centerline method the physical horn should be a bit longer than if you laid it out with the centerline...
Yeah, this will work. It's not at all what I had in mind but it will save me the time and effort of designing a test protocol and actually building and measuring something myself. It's going to take a bit of time to learn Sketchup. Let's see how long it takes me. I'm going to do the F20. Normally I'd use Akabak to reverse engineer something with this many segments but maybe if I'm using Sketchup anyway I can use it to find out where S3 and S4 should go so Hornresp...
They need more than pictures, they need real proof. I'm thinking about a way that I can provide some real data.Sorry for the delayed reply, I was away all day.Yes, this is my current understanding of the centerline method.Thanks for pointing this out. This seems to make sense, I'm not sure why I was thinking otherwise.If these last two quotes are true that means some of my comments about the advanced centerline method in the last few posts are wrong.I've been thinking...
I agree with the part in bold, it's what I've been saying. The quotes from Danley, BFM and soho54 suggest that all 3 of them agree with both of us. So I'm not sure what you are referring to as being backwards.Let me try to put this another way.A random guy (let's call him Dave) makes a horn sim with Hornresp. Dave lays out his Hornresp horn sim into a folded horn plan using the centerline method. He doesn't use reflectors in any corners. He builds the horn and...