or Connect

Posts by diy speaker guy

Since this is an interesting subject, here are a couple of quotes from soho54 from here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/175658-tham15-compact-15-tapped-horn.htmlIt's a long thread but highly recommended (even if you only read soho54's posts), it's jam packed with useful info on horn folding. (He also talks about the importance of placing the segment markers in exactly the right spot when simulating/folding in this thread, which can be a problem with Hornresp's...
Regardless of what causes the difference (be it turbulence, flow interruption, extra air in bends that don't have reflectors or rotational mass) the advanced centerline folding method makes the measurement of the end product agree with the simulation. Soho54 used to say all the time that when the measurements didn't match the sim, the person didn't build what he simulated. He went on to prove it by simulating the end product accurately (which included adjusting the...
There are a lot of bends in the tht, so using the centerline vs advanced centerline method will made a very noticable difference, easily accounting for the couple hz differences we are seeing between the measurements and the sims.Soho54 spent a LOT of time simulating horns and correlating them to measurements and this is the method he found that worked.Here's a link for those that don't know what the advanced centerline method is, post 13 -...
Ok, well your sim is close enough to Bill's that I thought it was his. And yeah, I think it's the folding (centerline method) that's accountable for the difference between the sims and the measurements. Not just the 180 bends though, all the bends.
Actually the low peak in that measurement lines up pretty well with lilmike's measurement, they both look like they are right around 23 hz.The sim you overlaid was Bill's sim, no?I've got an idea what might be causing the difference in low corner between the sim and the measurement. I see this all the time where the measured horn is tuned just a bit lower than the sim predicted. This is a common beginner folding mistake for people that don't understand the implications...
I'm aware of that measurement, I actually linked to it (the same measurement was posted in the tuba-ht-tht-compromises-trade-offs thread which I linked to) in post 87, 8 days ago. I actually talked about it a bit too at that time.post 87 - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484963/any-reason-not-to-do-a-tht/60#post_23661740That measurement might be of limited usefulness to the person that measured it but it's completely useless to anyone else. There's no details about the...
I have a long history (probably about 7 years) at diyaudio.com (different user name there). I have a shorter history (probably about 3 years) at techtalk.parts-express.com. I already admitted I have a personal history with Bill (probably about 2 years) in which he enjoys destroying my informational threads on horn design and construction (not on this forum). I also have a history of pointing out inaccuracies in specs and claims with different companies. As you can...
Not sure which part you are unhappy with, but I suspect it's this:I wasn't talking about you specifically, let's change that to "If people don't understand these issues...Asking where your measurements are is a legitimate question. Have you simulated or measured this design? If you haven't it's probably for the same reasons most other people haven't. It truly would be nice to see some accurate 3rd party high power performance measurements taken outside in an...
That would be nice, wouldn't it? Where are your measurements? Maybe you can send your tht to Ricci at databass.com to be measured so we can all see some definitive data.Here's the problem - fee based IP protected plans with no real objective data attached have an inherently relatively small user base. The vast majority of that user base doesn't have the time, motivation, equipment, knowledge, or appropriate environment (outside large open space with low noise floor) to...
To put it simply, depending on what you are used to, you very likely will not be disappointed. In fact you will probably be really impressed, horns are fun. But that does not mean the tht design with a cheap driver and no hpf is particularly impressive when compared to other designs in a similar price range.Remember what WVSyd said about builder's bias? Build threads almost universally end in subjective blissful reviews, especially when the builder doesn't know how to...