or Connect

Posts by diy speaker guy

I just posted that as a joke to highlight the fact that recommendations are useless without an idea of budget and goals. But, sure, if you want to see it.Same horn, same driver, 1500 watts, 2 pi space.Should be used with a hpf to limit excursion to 12 mm xmax but it's safe without. In a stack the LF corner is lower, the second highest excursion peak is lower, allowing more excursion limited max spl if a hpf is used, and the FR curve is flatter (especially in the lower...
Well... that's pretty special. (It's also $5000 to build and the size of a small garden shed though.) But even that can be beat with more expensive drivers and a more refined design.It's a stack of eight front loaded horns in 2 pi space, each with a single B&C 18tbw100, 2400 watts to each cab, and each cab a bit bigger than Labhorn size. The design is a super simple unfolded t=1 expo flare.http://www.usspeaker.com/B&C-18TBW100-1.htmSeriously though, it depends on end...
Here's a quick sim of a completely different design for context. Compare this to the pic in post 122 (which is the tht guess sim with the Dayton dvc, 300 watts and a 20 hz 2nd order hpf).That last sim is a 15.5 mm xmax 10 inch driver in a tapped horn 1/3 smaller than the 24 inch wide tht. Shown at xmax with 500 watts, 2 pi space.Top row, FR and excursion with no hpf.Bottom row, same thing but with a 21 hz 4th order hpf.The driver is the HiVi SP10. ...
Sure.Your suspicions are correct, a 20 hz 2nd order filter keeps excursion within xmax with 300 watts for the Dayton and also the Tempest driver. So technically it is good enough but when used like this output is not very impressive for a horn of this size.
That info is in post 61 but I'm going to do it again with the Dayton dvc. It took a 27 hz 4th order hpf, here's post 61 if you want to see it with pictures - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484963/any-reason-not-to-do-a-tht/60#post_23659531Thanks.Good points, I'll do a couple quick sims with the Dayton dvc - but remember this is just a quick and simple guess at what's in the tht, not a 100 percent accurate simulation. I'd recommend the OP sim this for himself using the data...
Well thanks for reading it, I know it was long but believe it or not that was the version that was edited down, the original was easily twice that long but I didn't think anyone would actually read it.I have no idea what amps people use with their tht or what hpf (if any) may be typically included in or applied to those amps. But based on your comment, here's a pic showing my tht guess sim with 300 watts. Top image is excursion with no hpf applied, bottom image is a 4th...
I've got nothing better to do right now so I have time to present some more info to explore this issue in a bit more detail. Hopefully this will greatly clarify my position. The last paragraph is a simplified summary for the tldr folks. So how to decide if a flh needs a hpf or not? The first thing that needs to be addressed is that front loaded horns are different than resonant enclosures that do not use a sealed rear chamber in some important ways. This is extremely...
Come on guys. That claim stood on his website for years and was disputed since it was put up there. In fact a quick search will show that you guys (avsforum) have discussed this before, a few times. Start here but check post 88 in particular (Bill tries to verify the 1 hz claim) and read to the end where several reputable members dispute the claim. He only changed that claim to 10 hz when it started to become too much of an embarrassing liability. But even flat to 10...
Someone just sent me an email with a small clip from the plans confirming the 295-470 (the dayton classic) is recommended. In fact he said it's the only driver mentioned in the plans by name or part number other than the classic Tempest. I'm not going to include the quote here since I'm not sure if that violates copyright. But it does say that drivers with 8 mm xmax are sufficient for most HT applications. No mention of xlim values.If you know a bit about horns it's...