or Connect

Posts by MilesBFree

One more thought - check the depth of the racks you are considering. Width is somewhat standard; 19" is the standard equipment mounting width so most racks are just a few inches wider, such as around 22" - 24". But depth varies a lot depending on the rack. They make deeper cabinets for more "industrial strength" servers and other gear and I have seen those at up to 48" deep (outside of rack measurement) and there may be even deeper ones out there...Also check to see how...
I would build a bigger equipment closet. It is 6' 6" x 8' 6" and the racks just fit in the room with the doors open and allow me to walk around them to the back, but there isn't much space to work behind the racks where much of the cabling connects. I have 3 full size racks purchased off of eBay, one for mostly wiring termination and low-level stuff like the security system panel. The second is mostly network, server, and storage. The third rack is mostly the HT and...
Thanks Foxbat121 and teachsac, those are the players I am considering. Since the 2012 Sony S390 and S590 were replaced by the S3100 and S5100, I will probably wait and see if/when the S790 is replaced by an S7100. The Panasonic 500 looks good too; will have to go check them out and compare. I have a Panasonic PT -AE7000U projector but am not sure if that gives their player any sort of edge in terms of integration. Despite just finishing the theater in the last year or...
Thank you everyone for the replies. It looks like the best bet is simply to get a newer player that might be a bit faster than the PS3 just by virtue of the PS3 being a bit long in the tooth now. I will also check out the menu possibilities again, as I tried that at one point but it was hit or miss as to which discs supported it. We do watch a lot of Disney
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a player that can get us to the actual movie fastest? By that I mean ones that not only boot quickly, but also have the ability to jump right to a movie. I know there probably isn't a way to get past the copyright messages and that is fine, but all the other annoying garbage at the beginning should be able to be bypassed / skipped. I am currently using a slim PS3 as our player, which was purchased prior to the...
Update: I contacted Monoprice, who said that this cable won't work for an iPhone or iPod. They said that anything beyond a simple device won't work past 15' even with an active extender. It sounds like Kinext and PS3 Eye devices are simple enough so they will work with the cable (as the description says). My guess is that the communications are synchronous and the distance messes that up. I guess I can always just put the music on a cheap USB drive and play it from...
In case it may make a difference, I have an iPhone 4GS. (Mods - if it would make more sense to move this thread to a section that deals with cabling such as the subforums related to builds, please do so. However, the cables works with other devices just not the iPhone so it seemed to fit here better.)
Hi, I was looking to see if anyone had any experience or recommendations on a standalone Skype device, i.e.- one that will work without a PC. We have family and friends overseas and Skype is fantastic for keeping in touch economically. I am looking to take it to the next level... The media room has a Panasonic projector, 180" Seymour 4k screen, Onkyo receiver, 11.1 sound, etc. I also installed an omnidirectional mic in the ceiling right above the couch. That would...
Hi, I was looking for a recommendation for a long cable, around 50', to connect an iPod / iPhone to the front USB port of an Onkyo receiver. I have all of my equipment in a closet off of the media room, so I installed a bank of input jacks at the back of the media room so I can connect devices to the receiver without having to have the closet door propped open (such as for an iPod for music, laptop for slide presentations, USB drive for photo presentations, etc.) The...
I have an earlier version of the following (HDMI over Cat5e) in my living room for a flat screen mounted over the fireplace: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=7955 I saw they also make similar ones to go over coax: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5304 The Cat5e ones work very well*. And it even works after I inserted an A/B switch to go between the satellite receiver and the PS3 (movies and games). The Dish receiver is...