or Connect

Posts by soupdragon

But with the new range, this has turned on its head and you get more dynamic contrast with the iris open, not closed.IMHO these new Jvc's work better with screens a bit bigger now because you can ramp up the light output and get even better dynamic contrast. Off the top of my head, you could drive a 140" 1.0 screen at 14fl calibrated in high lamp mode and get 350,000 ish contrast (would recommend a hush box though )
Hi Seegsjust read my own post and it sounded a little aggressive. Not my usual posting style and it doesn't read what I was trying to convey - sounds more like I was having a pop but that's not my intention. In terms of comparing to direct competitors, we know there really are none right now. I just want to understand its good and bad points as its the LED which is the main attraction for my own use. I'm looking at removing the tv from my living room and making all the av...
The h9080fd is 3 times the price and the sharp and planar are bulb projectors so none are direct competitors with each other. Its good to know how they look in comparison to each other but that's as far as it goes. Your clearly looking to put them all in some kind of pecking order but they all occupy different price points and different feature sets. For example, some people may relegate single chip bulb dlp straight to the scrapheap due to rainbow artifacts. As you say,...
I'm not sure how to multi-quote so I won't quote your previous post but I totally get where your coming from, keeping people's feet on the ground etc...and your probably also right about most people not demoing prior to purchase. I'm living proof of that too - I generally buy projectors I'm interested in based on reviews/forums like this and then live with them for a while and see how I like the tech. I also think that the avforums review has been taken a little out of...
Yes they do. It's bizzare why you are saying projectors like the Runco will likely be better, or that Optoma owners are blissfully unaware of their inferior machines. You have neither seen the HD91 nor do you know about Optoma owners in general not knowing any better. So the casual reader (who you seemingly want to support) is being tainted by your statements, put across in such a way to appear as almost fact - yet that's not the case at all.For the record - I bought both...
Thanks. Thats what I was thinking. Projector ordered so no turning back!For my X90, I changed screen size and therefore native contrast and zoom ratio depending on the content. At times, I went smaller screen size, less zoom which meant I could close the aperture to gain higher contrast and still maintain the same FL and I did this for movies like Lord of the Rings etc - all those contrast rich movies.I am hoping that I can run maximum brightness and screen size with the...
I think where Kelvin was coming from was to set your manual position to that which is best for both your set up and how you like to view. The risk of setting manual iris more open is that you could leave yourself more open to uncomfortable 'too bright' scenes and also from the view that if I already set my iris closed, is there much point in upgrading to a newer model for a more minimal benefit? - ie, if I'm already quite closed, how much benefit will a new model bring -...
Hopefully we'll find that out soon enough once more reports come flooding in. My guess, is that the more open the aperture, the more benefit you'll get from increased dynamic contrast (but with potential caveat that you could possibly be more susceptible to pumping and gamma/colour shifting at wide open set up)But even with your relatively closed aperture, you would expect to get at least a triple up on contrast if not more.....how much more noticeable that would be I...
Edit. Missed the quote button. @Kelvin re: Mike response... That's what I was going to say - run with it more open and give yourself a bigger range. Pierce your retinas on the bright scenes and when it switches to the dark scenes, your pupils are constricted and it will look as black as night The good thing is, you don't necessarily need the range so you've loads of room to fine tune it to however you like. Me? I absolutely need the range due to no gain and 63sqft of...
Kraine. In your review, you say this (google translate) Finally, the third configuration, we used a 4K Focus on the X700 to seek rendering differences compared to our previous test SONY VPL-VW500ES. And then the conclusion is clear, the alignment of the panels and therefore the accuracy of the image are in favor of ..... X700. With a 4k signal, you say the X700 is more accurate. What do you mean by this? Is it colour performance or sharpness or is it your subjective...