or Connect

Posts by Thunder240

Right. I've got a 200wpc amp, but voltage gain is only a little over 27dB, meaning that with a 1.2V preout I can only get a 50-60% of my rated power.But I thought 2V was supposed to be "standard"? Maybe not anymore.
According to the specs published on pg 86 of its user manual, the 3808ci has an analog rated output of 1.2V, and a D/A rated output of 2.0V. Can someone explain what this means? I *think* the analog rated output refers to the maximum voltage of the preouts. True? what about the D/A rated output? If I'm playing from a digital source, does this mean my preouts can put out 2 volts? If neither of these specs refer to preout voltage, does anyone happen to know what the max...
Actually, digital coax can pass PCM 2.0 at least up to 192 kHz 24 bit. (My receiver displays bit depth and sample rate, and it knows when I'm sending it HD PCM. It doesn't support 384/32, so I'm not sure if digital coax can pass PCM 2.0 above 192/24) I believe you're right that it cannot pass PCM 5.1 regardless of sample rate.I can't speak to optical.
I guess I feel a little better knowing that the 2007 release only had a lossy audio track, since I was imagining that this signified that WB was joining Lionsgate in pulling HD audio tracks from their rental BD. Still, I wanted the lossless experience, but in this case I concur that it's no one's fault. @ mgkdragn: what absence of sonic detail does or does not "substantially impede" the experience is subjective, and having still not heard the lossless track, I don't know...
Last night I watched Deliverance on BD, which I got from Netflix. Audio was DD 5.1 only, no DTS-MA track. I was very disappointed, since there is a ton of wildlife sound all around you. Deliverance was released by Warner Bros, not Lionsgate, so this vile cancer (omitting lossless audio from rental BDs) is spreading. This is not going to stop me from subscribing to Netflix, since the cost of buying BDs (at least those I want) is usually prohibitive, but I'm still very...
Arnyk, thanks for the helpful response! Your logic makes sense, and it's also consistent with the hometheatershack post that GIEGAR referred me to. Regarding the hiss, it is most noticeable from my tweeters. My woofers are almost silent, even with my ear right up against the phase bullets. I powered the dbx crossover off but left the amp on (which I hadn't done before!), and the hiss was equally loud as with the crossover on, so I am in full agreement that the cause is...
I'm posting to find out what if anything I can do to maximize the SNR in my 2.1 stereo system given the equipment I'm using, which includes a piece of pro gear (and therefore may be causing problems by mixing -10dbV and +4dbu line levels). The system is comprised of a consumer digital pre/DAC (Emotiva XDA-1), a pro crossover (dbx 223s), consumer power amp (Odyssey Stratos), and consumer sub (Outlaw LFM-1 EX) along with 8 ohm speakers (Ascend CMT-340SEs). I use RCA...
At the time I bought mine (2010) I recall several used Power5 amps on the market for between 800 and 1100, with the oddball who was asking for a lot more thinking his was special because it was "like new". I have no idea what the market has done since then -- sorry. I believe that there are more class D options right now, which would have the effect of driving down the price, though I'm just guessing.
Two years ago (and 3+ years after I purchased the TV from Best Buy), my TV started going through several power cycles before starting up. I'd push the power button, the read light would start flashing, and I'd hear it click on and off for several minutes before I'd finally get a picture. Also, when I eventually did get picture, there were two or three vertical purple lines spaced at varying intervals across the panel. I called Samsung customer service, they said it sounded...
Hey guys, I've been reading all the happy customer reviews of the 8060s, as well as the Absolute Sound review, and it got me wondering, what's different between the 8000 series and the 7000 series that I own? (I have a pair of 7002s in an HT setup, though I use them quite often for stereo music). Did Deftech introduce any new technology on the 8000 series? Has anyone noticed sonic differences? I doubt that I'd upgrade, especially after the work I out into fixing a problem...