or Connect

Posts by Scott C.

Where can I get a flowerpot like that? Would it be possible to get the frame of a returned/broken sub from a manufacturer?
Thanks! I just clamped wherever I could and used weight where I couldn't. I did screw a couple pieces but just to other parts of the horn path. There are no exposed screws on the outside of the enclosure.
As soon as I preordered one of the new 4Ohm Anarchy drivers I decided to get to work building one of lilmike's tapped horn subs. The flat packs were tempting, but I haven't built a horn before, and it gives me something to do on the weekend, so I went ahead and started building my own. (It was also an excuse for me to go out and grab a new circular saw, which I love). I've been working on it for a while, so here's everything up to the present day all at once: I used a...
Just got my driver in today. Expertly packed as always. Thanks Erich! Quick question: I was just checking the driver to make sure it was alright, and in my free-air testing I could hear a little bit of a fluttering sound when the cone was moving a good bit. I wasn't anywhere near Xmax, but I could see the cone moving a fair amount. Is this fluttering sound normal? I'd just like to make sure my driver is good (which I'm sure Erich already did, but just in case) before I...
Thanks! I don't currently have the cabling for that, but when I do I'll try it out. For now I guess it's safe to say that I should disregard the summed plots. Just out of curiosity, why would the propagation delay through the sound card change between measurements done minutes apart with nothing changed in the setup?
I'm inclined to say no because I didn't do anything special for that. Would that just mean using a loopback in one channel while measuring/outputting to the receiver with the other channel?
Thanks Bill, I got around to measuring, and it seems to confirm what I heard. I'm glad that I wasn't just caught up in the "new" sound, and it actually measures pretty well (or it does now). Here's what it looks like: Right + subs Left + subs Right + Left (80Hz xover) After looking at this I realized why the bass seemed so different. It looks like the mains were interfering with each other/the subs pretty heavily, so I decided to raise the crossover to 100Hz and...
This is all the info you should need to set the gain structure: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/35677-gain-structure-home-theater-getting-most-pro-audio-equipment-your-system.html Basically all you need to measure the preouts is a voltmeter and a source of pink noise. However if you'd like a USB sound card I've got one up in the classifieds (But like I said before you don't need one to measure the preout level from your...
Well, I gave angling the setup a shot, and so far I'm very impressed. I haven't broken out the measurement gear yet, so I can only give subjective impressions right now. The first thing I noticed was that at high levels and high frequencies it never once sounded harsh. Before certain things like glass breaking, etc would make me wince a little, but now everything just sounds very clear. Turning up the volume just sounds like the sound source is getting bigger and closer...
Maybe there's a default filter built into the DSP that's attenuating the bass. I'm not sure since I haven't owned one of these, but the DSP settings are where I would start looking.