or Connect

Posts by PCD

USB to serial dongles can be notoriously finicky, especially concerning driver selection. I have tested MANY of them.Most motherboards (doubly so if you built your own HTCP using a brand name board) have a com port header on them. The cable to make it work is under 10 bucks. Failing that, if your M/B has an open slot, I would just get a RS232 add-in card.If you do choose a USB dongle, try to get one (FTD) that retains com port settings after power down. This eliminates the...
In my humble opinion, it is time to give it up. You aren't getting anywhere that I can see. They will never be able to prove things to your satisfaction, and you aren't going to get your receiver back (or any receiver) without paying them what you owe them. From previous posts in this thread, you know I'm not attacking you, so no need to go off the deep end, just look at things realistically. 1) You have no proof they switched receivers. Dent cannot be proven. 2) They...
Mac: You are obviously a very knowledgeable person regarding the SC37 and other receivers you repair or work on, so a question... Is it possible (similar to a car V.I.N. which is located in multiple places on a vehicle, some not very well known) that the serial number is engraved, stamped, or laser etched inside the case, or on a major component, as well as the sticker on the back? The OP is certain the repair shop switched the sleeve upon which the serial number sticker...
No problem.At first I thought the OP was maybe worrying a bit too much, but the more things progress, the more this starts to smell a little. I mean, if Sony was buying the board back from the repair facility, why not just SAY so....like "Hey, Sony gives me 50 bucks for these boards and I already credited you the 50 bucks on your invoice dude, if you want the board back to KEEP I'll have to charge you the 50, but if you just want to SEE it, sure NP".
While I have dealt with a "core" charge before, I've never heard of it in the Electronics business. Just FYI a core charge is where you purchase a new starter or alternator, or something for your car and they give 5% back for the old one because they will rebuild it and sell it as "rebuilt". That is a core charge.Pete
No, it was a long time ago, 25 years maybe. Shortly after, a custom home stereo shop opened up right beside where I was working at the time and I networked their store (BNC 10base2 baby! Ahh the memories lol) so adding some money I think I purchased a different receiver and 2 speakers for about 1k. Wish I still owned it.I knew it wasn't he same amp because it would start to distort at "5" on the volume knob instead of "9".Well, if he fixed it, there's not much else to say...
Yeah, the reason I posted after reading your story was the exact thing we are discussing happened to me. Way back I had a Marantz receiver, I've long forgotten the make and model, but it was top of the line when Marantz was one of, if THE best name in the business....anyway, repair guy put some cheap replacement amp in it. Sounded terrible, had very little power, etc. Don't be surprised though if the guy gets annoyed, because you are more or less questioning his integrity...
Hi SapranoAren't power amps fairly heavy? I could believe 40 bucks, especially if it was shipped with insurance or via courier (which could be another reason it was expensive-courier shipping). I would think the amp section is a lot heavier than the piece of cloth you had shipped for $11.00It really doesn't matter if he had your part in stock for six months, he still had to pay shipping at one time or another, maybe that's why he "had the part so fast".As for the cost of...
I myself killed an Onkyo 609 by doing the very same thing. Very silly on my part. Heat is death for electronics and if yours is going in to thermal shut down then for goodness sakes don't run it until you rectify the problem. Buy a new stand or re-arrange your components. Adding a fan wont help if the hot air you are trying to exhaust has no place to go. If the stand has one of those cardboard backs, perhaps you could cut it to open up some airflow? Good luck.
If you follow this advice, your 809 will not reconnect to your LAN for the next 100 years, assuming that is the problem in the first place.Disabling DHCP means your router will not let ANYTHING connect that you have not already assigned a static IP to.A static IP is when you enter your routers client configuration tables and hard code a devices IP, either the current one it is using, or one of your choosing. You can do this by using the MAC address. Lets say you go in to...