or Connect

Posts by dctrombly

Oh, yeah. I didn't mean to say that I'm all that shocked. I know SVS has their reputation for a reason. Just an interesting point of note. The PB enclosure is much larger as an obvious potential factor.Well I'm happy with the KRK. I'll definitely look at SVS again for HT when I know I'll have a proper receiver to manage crossovers and the headroom by the mains.
Interesting that stated measurements are so different since they're both a ported 10" design. It's too bad mine weren't functioning correctly as I would've kept it.
Wanted to reply on my impressions with my A5+ with subwoofer. I ordered the SVS SB-1000 and PB-1000 since I'm a pretty big basshead. I went with SVS specifically for the high pass filter built into the subs, which would allow the sub to take over 80Hz- frequencies, allowing the A5+ to play distortion free at low frequencies. After numerous tests I declared that the high pass filters in BOTH subs were not functioning at all, although I would have chosen the PB-1000; it hit...
Sorry, but I'm not in the mood to respond to every comment. lolI tried a different test. Since I have the SB-1000 and the PB-1000 I connected my source (MacBook) to the PB and high passed from the PB to the SB. I turn the gain on the PB all the way down so that only the SB is playing and a 30Hz tone is just as loud high passed to the SB as it is playing directly to the SB.I'm fully convinced that the HPFs are not functioning properly.DESPITE what's going on with the high...
Thanks for the extensive reply. I'm doing my listening tests with the volume on the sub all the way down when connected through the sub, so that I can see the true effect on the speakers. The connections are all right, and I've used multiple cables to see if that made any difference.I try to adjust the overall volume by ear, and with or without the sub/HPF, the bass sounds just as loud. I realize it's not very scientific. I'm looking into getting measurements now but...
I'm really focused on this high pass filter business before I do any serious listening comparisons. The PB-1000 seems to have the same effect, or lack of I should say, on sub 80Hz frequencies. My tests are extremely crude however; I'm using sine tones, judging by ear, and comparing the sounds straight from speakers to source, and speakers to sub. There seems to be MORE bass when "using" the HPF on the SVS. I don't know the first thing about measuring frequency levels...
If I was in the market for a higher end sub, I don't think I could bring myself to purchase the current offerings knowing that SVS has explicit plans to upgrade the entire line. Or is the Ultra an exception? Of course this would depend on if you have something to make do with in the meantime.
I'm in the process of packing/moving so it surely won't be pretty. I also only have my little Canon point and shoot (or my iPhone) so I wouldn't be able to do the subs much justice. I'll see what I can do though.
Well I get my PB-1000 today for my desk setup (AudioEngine A5+). I recently ordered the SB-1000 and got the PB-1000 for comparison. I think I'll like the PB better, especially since the high pass filter on the SB (refurb) I received isn't even working. Beside that though, I listen to 90% electronic music so it'll be a nice upgrade in sub bass output.
I just got my SB-1000 and am enjoying it pretty well so far, despite having ordered the PB-1000 for comparison. I'm almost certain that the high-pass filter on the line-level RCA outputs aren't working at all. I run a cable from MacBook to SB-1000 inputs, then outputs to AudioEngine A5+ inputs. When switching between output from the SB-1000 (with volume on the sub off) and directly from my MacBook I notice no difference in bass response. I've only tested by ear but it...