or Connect

Posts by Gorilla83

Potential dates? What kind of electrical service do they have?
You have a point here, sir. I think having a GTG every few months really helps build motivation/interest.
Thanks for the reminder...ordered!!
It does appear to come with ArtCAM express (150 dollars), but almost no units will come with a true CAD package. With that said, a LOT of drawing can be done directly in the toolpathing software (like artcam) but I find drawing in something like Solidworks or sketchup to be a lot faster. At 7999 for a relatively small table, as a hobbyist or small production I think you could save a bit more elsewhere.If you're getting serious about this stuff, download a trial for either...
Very nice. I'm still learning solidworks but mainly use sketchup for modeling. Is your machine for hobby, work, or both? In principal the wood routers will use a router (hobby or light use) or spindle (commercial) combined with and "end mill" for cutting, engraving, or drilling. Most machines are 3 or 4 axis with dual motors along the X on the larger units. I assume you are already familiar with toolpathing which should be similar between wood or metal.
I feel compelled to share a few more pictures/video from this weekend: A "mans meal" at popalock's house on Thursday night. YUM! Lineup of twenty foo's at SI: SI24 on the dedicated test bench:
If you decide you might be interested in buying or building a CNC wood router, my advise is to learn all you can about modeling and CAM/control software to make sure you will enjoy the type of work required. See my list above.
Hi Awedio - Appreciate the response. There are lots of similarities between metal/wood routers and mills. What do you use for CAD and CAM software?
BTW for anyone seriously considering something like this, here are the main items you will need to budget/plan for: 1) The machine itself (duh!) including table, stand(s), motor/electronics, and router/spindle 2) CAD software for drawing - I use and love sketchup and it's free (optional) 3) CAM software for creating toolpaths - I HIGHLY recommend the vectric products like Cut2d or Vcarve Pro. You can download these for free in trial form and access tutorials. 4)...
Many of their units (including those linked) even come with a PC and the router/cutting tool, and some software. I started with the Fireball V90 which is their smallest unit (and cheapest) but it will still cut the same items, just a little slower and with smaller pieces. It was plenty to get me to learn the software though and it even uses the same cutter as the larger units. I was able to buy, use for 3-4 months, and sell at only about a ~100 dollar...