or Connect

Posts by R.Power

Ok I’ll bite …. I used the paint from the article and have to say that it worked well as a temporary solution. I was able to get comfortable with what screen size I liked. 30% of the time it was an excellent screen with good gain and if I could live with the massive hot spot and obvious texture I would not need to buy a screen. It seems kind of foolish to spend large amounts of money on A/V components and then think a can of household paint could put screen manufactures...
Well I exchanged the 15” SW_115 klipsch sub yesterday. It had a bad buzz that kept getting worse over the week I owned it. I thought it was the cabinet but due to how much better the replacement is performing it might have been the amp or driver. I was going to move to a more expensive sub but it seemed similar (not better or the same) to the HSU VTF-15H on paper and had a great street price. It will leave some funds on the table for a new Denon AVR with Audyssey multi EQ...
I found that the best spot for the sub ended up being in the front corner of the room. Unfortunate I sit in the middle of the room and now know that it will bring some challenges. The klipsch is probably a great sub value and I’m sure another one would make a big improvement. After spending a couple of years building and setting up my theater room I’ve built up some pretty high expectations. I’m starting to clue in that I better change my sub budget or start looking into...
Thanks for the suggestions .. I’m going to get the REW package. I have to admit at first glance it looks pretty intimidating. I’m also trying to do a better job of using the search options on the site to get up to speed. Is there a book out there on audio that all the new guy’s should read?
Thanks for the 0.02 cents. I bought the klipsch sub at a pretty good price and the specs looked decent on paper. I know I have a lot to learn and thought this was a good place to start. I really have no reference to go from as I haven’t demoed any decent home theater set ups. The poor economy has taken its toll here and we have lost most of the A/V stores. Picking the projector and main speakers was pretty easy from the information here at AVS but the subs are a different...
Thanks for the list .. I was looking at dual HSU VTF-15H but not sure if that would move the needle. I’m new to the world of subwoofers and not sure if the 15” HSU would just move the similar amount of air. Is higher wattage what I should be looking at or more square inches of drivers (more 15-18” subs). I was able to demo some butt kickers at the local store and I wasn’t sold on them.
I’m discouraged with the results of my theater construction. Any help with what my expectations for bass should be or what I need to add to be able to “feel” the bass and make the couch shake would be appreciated. My basement home theater is 18x25 with a 10x12 bar area off this room and an 8’ ceiling. Walls are 2x4 construction with full spray foam floor to ceiling. Walls/ceiling are 5/8 dry wall and floor is ¾ dry core plywood screwed to concrete. I have a Klipsch RF 7II...
I was at the same point as you last year. I was used to my Kuro plasmas and was concerned with the drop in image quality and the idea of sitting in the dark every time I wanted to watch TV. While I still enjoy the 50 inch in my master bedroom at night, I haven’t turned on the 60 inch in the living room for at least 6 months. I went with a JVC RS45 downstairs and am very happy in a “dim” room and thrilled in a darkened room “blinds pulled down”. It’s not really an apples to...
You2slo, Thanks for the great review!! It sounds like this sub is a great buy and will get some attention from the ID guy's after the third party reviews. I feel much better informed with your help. I was concerned with finding nulls in my room with my limited placement options. Sounds like you may have discovered one also. I'm hoping having two sub's will solve this in my setup. shadyJ thanks for the Audyssey XT32 suggestion. I've been reading up on it today and I'm...
shadyJ I feel I'm much better informed on the decision with all the help here. I know it's a crap shoot buying something that hasn't been reviewed yet but it's good to know that some more knowledgeable than me don't see any glaring issues. I was able to demo the SW-115 briefly at a (somewhat) local store. I can see why Klipsch might have neglected this segment of the market in the past. It's a big box for any room that isn't a dedicated theater. It also looked a bit...