or Connect

Posts by wsume99

No need to wait on the Seagate results ... go back and read the Backblaze post again. It includes over 4200 of the ST3000DM001 which is the 7200.14 001 that you are referring to with 3 x 1TB platters running at 7200 rpm. I'm guessing they have so many because they are normally the cheapest 3TB drive you can find. The average age of their drives was 1.4 years and the AFR is ~10%. Not very impressive IMO considering the 3TB Hitachi (HDS5C3030ALA630) shows up with nearly the...
The smaller sample size produces more uncertainty WRT the true AFR however because the two ranges do not overlap we can conclude that based upon the data thus far the WD Red drives are statistically more reliable than the Seagate DM drives. Now you can pick at the sampling technique since the average age of the Red drives is less than the Seagate DM drives so perhaps it's not a totally fair comparison. However given the overall AFR trend of WD drives the failure rate may...
Yep, if your cable provider flags the content as copy protected then you'll be forced to use WMC to playback that content. Some do (Time Warner) and some don't (Comcast). You may want to checkout Media Browser. You can use WMC for TV and XBMC for movies if you want you'd just need to setup your remote to control both applications. It's not too difficult.
Doesn't the OP's original question - a private cloud based system to share media - already exist? It sounds a lot like Plex Media Server and its ability to stream local or cloud based content to remote users. Setting aside the question of how did the encrypted content get removed from its media, what is the legal threshold for a "public" broadcast? If I stream the same movie to two TVs in my house at the same time is that considered a public broadcast? How about if I watch...
The answer to your basic question is that yes the best way to connect all the devices is to run a Cat 6 cable to each device. In my house I have two wire runs to each drop just in case I ever had a problem with the wire I have a spare and the wire is pretty cheap. You can probably get 1000ft for ~$100. For this to work you'll need a router to manage the traffic. Most modern wireless routers have 4 ports. Make sure they are 10/100/1000 speed. If you need to connect more...
I use WMC + HDHR Prime but not an extender. From what I've read the general rule is one CPU core and 2GB of RAM for each active extender. I have a feeling that is probably an overestimate on the CPU side but maybe someone who uses an extender can provide some info. Since you mentioned extenders (plural) I'm thinking an i5 is probably the right CPU. I would stay with a CPU that has an integrated GPU so stay away from the AMD FX CPUs. An AMD APU would also be fine however...
When I built my first HTPC I used the Hauppauge 2250 and I had no problems with it. I had cable and used WMC for my PVR application. I recorded NTSC cable and Clear QAM. The 2250 is a dual tuner so you can record two shows at a time or record one show and watch live TV on the other. I am no longer using the 2250 and it's been replaced by two HDHomeRun Primes. If you are going OTA then I see no reason why the 2250 would not work but I'd go with the HDHomeRun. It is just...
As said above Plex transcoding is a CPU intensive process so don't skimp on your CPU. Also, I would go with Intel over AMD for this task. AMD will give you much better integrated graphics however that will be of little/no when transcoding. Intel is preferred for CPU power.
Link to TigerDirect page $140 - $30 MIR = $110 (Limit 2) Currently $15 less than Amazon but you'll have to wait for the rebate. Lowest price I have seen yet on any 3TB RED/NAS drive.
According to this PLEX wiki: FAQ: Plex Media Server and NAS - ATOM is not capable of transcoding 1080p (may be possible at 720p but it is not recommended) - 1080p transcoding requires a Core 2 Duo @ 1.6 GHz - For multiple streams they recommend multiplying the passmark of the above CPU by the number of streams desired. Passmark for Core 2 Duo P7500 @ 1.6 GHz is 945. Passmark for i3-3225 is 4399. According to the PLEX wiki that would easily handle 2 streams plus local...