or Connect

Posts by basementdweller1

Buying a sub is a mystery for me. I have a Paradigm Cinema series system upstairs with a sub that back in the day was recommended to "match" that series from Paradigm. It all sounds good to my tin ears but with kids and a picky wife we never approach reference level anything. I want to be able to run the basement theater system louder, at least someday, and have it sound good. Right now the plan is 3 Def Tech UIW RLS II L/C/R in walls with 4 Orb Audio Mod 1 surrounds. No...
Bit worried my sweet spot is really between the rows. I think the best seat in the house is the back row with eyes about 15'-15.5' back with the front row being only 9'-9.5' away which is too close to be honest with the size screen I want. According to many calculations my idea on screen sizes (115-120" diagonal) would be THX standard at about 12.5-13'. Also the Center Stage XD material has a weave you can pick out on white areas from around 9' but having viewed a friends...
Riser shots coming later I promise! That said rough electrical has begun, a have a smaller contractor working it and so progress isn't super zippy, but I think it should be done by Saturday, perhaps Monday or Tuesday next week at the latest. Cans/Switches/Boxes are up and currently they are working the conduit. In theater news... I ordered an Epson 8700UB. I wanted the black levels it produces but just couldn't pull the trigger on the price of a 5010 or 6010. Coming with...
I bit the bullet and ordered a new 8700UB. This will be paired with either a 115" or 120" diagonal Center Stage XD acoustically transparent screen with a 1.2 gain. The PJ will be ceiling mounted dead on with the screen center. The front of the lens will be just about 17' from the screen, perhaps a few inches less. The room can always be completely light controlled any time of day and will be for movies, perhaps with very dim lighting during sports. The other options I...
It looks so nice, what a great space you've created for your family.
Attachment 235397 Poor camera phone pic better to come on Sunday. Riser is done, 12x6 two levels. The higher is 14" and 8.5x6. Ply top not on that is just sitting loose for ladders and electric goes in next week. I'll run edges and trim around nose in pine and stain, top surfaces will be carpet. I'll stuff it with insulation and already have 30 lb roofer felt on the bottom.
Well my inspector came through, he will allow a ceiling height of 6'4" or greater on the riser. Don't ask me where that number is coming from as I sure don't see it on the code but I am sure not complaining. The last few days of riser crisis brought me to this final plan though... Center part of the riser (centered with screen and the area for the seats) is 8.5' long by 6' deep and 14" tall. It will have a step at the front left corner. On the entire right side of the...
The room is framed not drywalled. Electric rough is going in next week. I wanted the base riser in so electrical (must be metal conduit, no Romex allowed here) can be run into it and inspected at rough inspection. The ply top layers will be added after rough. The room is 15 wide but I am putting in an asymmetric riser which is 12' wide. When 3 chairs are centered on it the riser will have a 3.5' empty area running to the wall acting as a walkway and having a wall table...
Here is the likely construction... going to use roofers felt over the concrete, a pressure treated lumber bottom plate (1.5" thick and yes even with the felt to prevent issues with a picky building inspector) and then 2x4's over the top (so there is the next 3.5"). After the electrician runs conduit and 2 outlets and the inspector passes the whole rough inspection I'll add insulation and then we will finally add 2 layers of 3/4 ply glued and screwed together. This will all...
That's a fine question, the reality is my framer has done a nice job and can whip this up at a low cost (yes, I know I could do it for almost no cost) so I figured I'd let him. The only issue is if the way he wants to do it will be a problem with sound isolation or strength.