or Connect

Posts by pretzelface

The sub doesn't sound like it's absent at all, it just doesn't have the brightness and warmth of the speakers. As far as off-center seating, that is a concern. My favorite chair is outside the sweet spot, but it's a smallish apartment and it's not likely to work out another way without my fiancee killing me.
The reason I was hesitant about the center channel is that my room layout doesn't really allow me to move my fronts very far apart; there's only about 6-1/2' between them. If I go for the center, though, I'll definitely get the matching Paradigm; the Lava sub already sounds a little flat compared to the Mini Monitors. I imagine the effect would be worse in the same frequency range.
If I wanted to upgrade my system piecemeal, would it make more sense to start with a center channel or surrounds? I'm running a 2.1 system right now with a Pioneer VSX-521-K driving some Paradigm mini monitors and a Lava LSP-10. It gets more HT use than music, but music is my primary concern (the fiancee doesn't care how her TV shows sound as long as there is sound coming out). Also, if I decide to go the 4.1 route, what are some good inexpensive surrounds? The...
I just got a pretty good deal on this receiver, and aside from a couple of setup quirks (MCACC incorrectly setting my front speakers to "large," picking up a ground loop hum from the cable box) it's been easy to configure and sounds great! It definitely blows my old Insignia NS-2001 out of the water. One question though: do the EQ presets (rock/pop, classical, acoustic, etc.) bypass the MCACC configuration? This is really the only device I've ever had where the EQ presets...
I can't really see that thing making a good HTPC replacement. In fact, I really can't figure out what the heck it'd be useful for. Therefore, I'll only be buying one or two of 'em until I do figure it out.
Interesting. What processor/gpu do you have? I can't imagine that 3 cores makes that much difference over 2. I did my benchmarks using 10 seconds' worth of "Sucker Punch," pulling from 1000 seconds in, more or less arbitrarily. mplayer -nosound -benchmark -vo vdpau -ss 1000 -endpos 10 Sucker\\ Punch.mp4 vs mplayer -nosound -benchmark -vo xv -lavdopts threads=3 -ss 1000 -endpos 10 Sucker\\ Punch.mp4 I saw the vdpau version finishing in about 3 seconds, and...
I thought I'd share my experience, in case anyone is on the fence about whether to buy a discrete video card for their Linux HTPC build. YMMV. I finally got around to upgrading to a threaded mplayer build from svn (the most recent release was not threaded). Doing a couple of benchmarks on 1080p H.264 content, I've discovered that software decoding is now about 3 times faster than libvdpau! My processor is nothing special; it's an Athlon II X3 running at 3.5 GHz. The...
I've been listening to my LSP-10 all weekend, and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. As I mentioned above, I'm running it off the speaker-level inputs (cheap 2.0 receiver). I set up the crossover and volume using my phone's SPL meter app, so I'm sure it wasn't accurate, but it sounds pretty good. I wasn't able to do the sub crawl for placement, as there's only one spot in the apartment that was acceptable to the fiancee. The listening area is about 16'x13', but open on...
On my TV, an LG LK450, I found that a 4' length of scrap coaxial cable (the same stuff that plugs into your cable box) made an adequate antenna for picking up local broadcast channels. I was in a ground-floor apartment reasonably close to the middle of town, though. Since you probably have some coax lying around from your old cable installation, try this before you buy an antenna. You don't have anything to lose, after all! Just hook one end up to the TV, and let the...
I just ordered an LSP-10 as well; I live in an apartment with neighbors, so I figured the 12" might be overkill. I'm running a 2-channel stereo receiver, though, and nobody in this thread seems to have anything to say about what it sounds like when you use the speaker-level inputs. I imagine it'll have that 13 dB boost at 40 Hz, but other than that?