or Connect

Posts by seekr613

After a decade of solid performance, my Marantz SR5200 seems to have blown its Left channel. I'm not an engineer and I don't know the exact issue - perhaps its a loose connection or dirty potentiometer. But my guess is that it's not worth repairing. So - what to replace it with? I have Energy Connoisseur 7 tower speakers, with matching centre and surrounds. I enjoy music from this setup, though not as loud as I used to now that we have a little one. So, mostly TV and...
Thanks mcnarus, I'm glad you chipped into the discussion. In your 'solid-state amps' comment, are you including pre-amp sections, e.g., an AVR will sound the same as an integrated, and an integrated the same as separates? This is the question that bugs me the most as most commentary seems to focus on power amps only, not the different varietys of receivers, integrateds etc. that many people use to perform, more or less, the same functions in their audio systems.
yup, I would have bought 2-channel if the AVR wasn't already available for free. your comments make it seem as if, in your mind, there ARE discernable differences in amp sound - can you explain a littel bit further? Your last comment is particularly intriguing - what is the threshold these days, and do you have some products you've personally tested that you would put forward as sounding 'better' than other amps? Thanks for the input!
Thanks for all the replies so far... my setups are nowhere near the elite level I'm sure many of the members here have built for themselves, but I'm happy to share nonetheless: Home theatre (70% TV & movies, 30% music...but definitely the 'main' system in the house) - Energy Connoisseur 7 floorstanders, with matching centre channel and dipole surrounds - Marantz SR5200 - Marantz 5-disc carousel (I think CC4300 by memory) - HTPC running windows 7 and xbmc with an LG...
Hi all, I'm relatively new to the audio-obsessive world (if you're posting online about it, you're probably obsessed!) and have some questions. I've read a lot about 'audio myths' and most sound completely nuts to me - this thread isn't about very expensive cables, little crystals, or wooden knobs. It's a much more simple, down-to-earth question. I currently have two old AVRs in two different setups - one in my home theatre, and one in a two-channel only stereo...
Yeah I saw that it looks like a heck of a deal! Only question in my mind is $279 for HK 3490 vs $500-$800 for separate amp + DAC... is the extra cost really worth it, would my system sound twice as good? tough call!
I'm thinking of upgrading our old Yamaha 5.1 receiver to a newer model that has an on-board DAC and is dedicated for stereo listening (we have a separate home theatre set-up, don't need 5.1 in this room). Most of our listening is via Airport Express or turntable, some CDs. I'm considering the Harmon/kardon 3490 and the Onkyo TX-8050. They both have phono stages and optical in for the Airport Express. Any thoughts on either of these units? HK is rated 120wpc, Onkyo has...
Thanks for the feedback - I understand your point about using the AVR DAC vs. AE DAC, certainly. I will probably hang on to the system as-is then.. I haven't heard a whole lot of support for going preamp/DAC like the Grant Fidelity unit, and the DAC inside a reasonable AVR (like my Marantz) is probably good enough. In the next year or so I might look to upgrade my home theatre AVR and can then re-purpose the Marantz for the living room. Thanks for the input
Thanks. This is exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for. I have another AVR, a Marantz SR5200, which does have optical inputs, currently in service in my home theatre (Energy Connoiseur 7s, CC1 centre, dipole surrounds). One option may be to upgrade the home theatre receiver, and bring the Marantz up to the living room to perform the AE-based stereo duties. It's still older than 5-7 years.... probably closer to 10, but let me know what you think. Also... if...
Hi, I've recently put together a simple little system for mostly background listening. We are using an Airport Express, analog out to an old Yamaha 5.1 AVR. The speakers are Aperion Verus Grand bookshelves, which we A/B against Axiom m22s and Aperion Intimus 4T... was a fun couple weeks, but ultimately the Verus was the unanimous choice. I guess I'm wondering what I should upgrade next - I think I buy the "amp is an amp - as long as it's not driven to distortion"...