or Connect

Posts by DDBear

If the homeowner can have enough control to add another login for a new iPad, or adjust the timercontrol events so that something turns on at 5pm instead of 8pm, there is nothing for you dealers to worry about. This idea of having such absolute control to babysit the homeowner over every little setting is going to drive away customers (like me) to other products. If you're wondering why I'm not using another product (yet) it's because it's not so easy to uninstall the...
I'm not worked up, instead I return the favor to the forum community to cut through marketing BS and tell the real world experience. I personally like truth, science, facts and I'm NOT the only real homeowner expressing bewilderment about this lack of control over the system.
You must be thinking about DHCP if you think it doesn't need changing every once in a while. Let's say the homeowner switches from Cable modem to AT&T Uverse.. The subnet may change and Lutron just makes it that much more cumbersome to manage the network. Then there's the issue of having no homeowner control over timer events or system logins either. Lutron Philosophy = call your electrician to plug the toaster into a different kitchen outlet. Standard practice = just...
This is not comparable to Apple -- it's much worse. At least with my iPhone and iPad I can manage my network settings, edit the clock timer, and edit my logins and passwords. Imagine if you had to go to the AT&T (or Verizon etc.) dealer every time you wanted to change one of the things mentioned above. If that were the case you could make the Apple comparison. Right now Apple is way more open to the customer managing their own device, than Lutron. I hope that Lutron...
It's not my dealer's fault that Lutron has this undocumented quirk. I doubt many customers would even buy Lutron in the first place fully knowing how they're locked out of the system. In addition to not being able to change the network settings and iPad logins, I can't even edit the timer settings from the iPad .. this editing only works from within the programming software. Who the heck would pay thousands to put RA2 tentacles in every corner of their home fully...
By the way we found the fix, unrelated to IP addressing. The installer had to add one of the physical button keypads to the configuration even though the iPhone and iPad is my only keypad so far. Each iPhone/iPad requires a separate telnet login. If I buy a new iPad then only the dealer can add it to the system. I feel so protected from myself.
There is no increase in reliability by preventing the network admin (homeowner) from changing the static IP address. There are 3 types of "static IP" under a loose definition of the term causing confusion here. 1. A static WAN IP, 2. A static private IP coupled with DDNS, 3. A DHCP lease IP. The fact that there are so many ways to configure even a "static IP" is further argument that Lutron should allow the network admin (homeowner) to edit this address, not just the...
wkearney, I said in my previous posts that I think it is understandable to use a static IP. So I agree with you on that point. However what I think Lutron is doing crazy is to not allow the homeowner (the homeowner = the home's network admin) to change this static address. If the Lutron is designed to work over a static IP (which is fine) then give the homeowner access to programming software to administer this address. Also, it is bizarre that the same is true for the...
I agree with your assessment fcwilt. Lutron seems to have this philosophy that things are set in stone according to their proprietary preferences.. that's ok for switch electronics, but networking is fundamentally a layered architecture that Lutron should interoperate with, rather than trying to control the homeowner's network configuration. Once the dealer gets my system working I will be very interested to access the RA2 while I'm away from home, and I'm planning to...
I found the manual for the Lutron iPhone app. Indeed, it requires a static IP. It also requires a PPTP VPN to be setup if the homeowner wants access from a remote network (and a router that supports this feature). Each different iPhone and iPad in the home needs a separate telnet login account configured in the RA2 programming software. Now consider that this programming software is not easily available to the homeowner so if you have a new iPad that needs a login.....