or Connect

Posts by DDBear

Yep, I gave Lutron's dynamic IP (192.168.1.101) a DHCP reservation, a static lease associated with it's MAC address in the router settings. I power cycled the RA2 main repeater. Same error message. If the tech support guy is correct - I can understand why Lutron would design it so that the device requires a fixed IP address entered into the settings. That's the only way the Lutron can guarantee the foundation is in place for the iPhone/iPad app to work on external...
Good insider info Neurorad and Sequoiadave, thanks. How stripped down is the "essentials" software for the typical home user?
Yes, that's what it sounds like - Lutron designed it that way so that the iPhone app will refuse to work if the installer does not use a static IP. It makes sense because dynamic DNS (dyndns.org, no-ip.com) and port forwarding etc will only work with static IPs. This is necessary to access a home network device from some other external network. I use static IPs by assigning an IP in the router that is below the DHCP range (
We're talking in circles because I understand all of these networking principles including static IP assignment outside the DHCP range, DHCP reservations, port forwarding etc. --- but the following issues remain: 1. The iPhone app fails downloading configuration and Lutron tech support tells me this is because the programming must be set to use a static IP inside the Lutron device. Logically it doesn't make sense why it wouldn't also work with DHCP inside my own...
fcwilt I see what you're saying, but Lutron told me themselves... that it must have a static assigned IP for the iPhone/iPad app to work. If the IP is assigned by DHCP that's why I get the error downloading configuration data when the app starts.
Even if I can change the router subnet, it is annoying that the Lutron device "controls" the configuration of my home network based on the static DHCP reservation choice during initial installation. I've had to change static DHCP reservations before to re-organize my numbering schemes as I started adding a lot of devices that needed these static IPs with port forwarding. It seems odd to me that the Lutron RA2 sets my home network in stone. Lutron has taken this lockdown...
I understand I can make static DHCP reservations, but if I get a different model router that does not use the 192.168.1.X subnet range then RA2 will stop working until the dealer comes out. This already happened to me with the security cameras, but Panasonic trusts the end-user enough to update the IP address of the device (and DirecTV and virtually every other Internet enabled consumer device lets the user change the network configuration). Lutron took this "closed...
Lutron tech support told me it cannot be set to DHCP when using the iPhone/iPad apps, it has to be a fixed IP. Different routers can indeed have completely different subnet ranges: http://www.net.princeton.edu/iprouters.html It already happened to me where I changed the router model and I had to update all of my securiy camera static IPs to fit within the new subnet range.
That's strange, the Lutron tech support rep made it sound like this limitation applies to all versions. I think I saw 5.5.4 on the dealer's laptop screen (if I remember correctly). Do you mean that 5.5.4 is "really old"? Could you tell me the latest version so I can check it against his version next time he comes over? I see some courses listed on the Lutron website entitled "RadioRA® 2 Preferred Systems Provider Accreditation Training" and "RadioRA 2 Preferred...
The IP address of the RA2 unit can only be changed using the dealer software. This software is not available to end-users. Suppose I change my router to a different model that uses the subnet 204.153.49.X instead of 192.168.1.X (this actually happened last month, and then I had to change the static IPs assigned to my network security cameras). Or if I change ISP providers and the static DNS1 and DNS2 settings change... With the RA2 I'd be hosed. I would not be...