or Connect

Posts by designcouch

I just wanted to tie this thread up with a bow. I completed my home theater on budget and almost exactly as I had initially planned. Uses an Optoma 720p 3d projector, a samsung 3d bluray player, a Denon receiver, and sound by Boston Acoustics. The Proscreens Rear Projection screen material is hand stretched across a custom built wall and was purchased on Amazon for less than $150. All components are out of sight in the projection closet, which doubles as extra storage...
I can't believe how helpful the folks at this forum have been - you guys are seriously a godsend. You've given me a huge amount of ideas. I know the budget is tight, but this system will probably be getting incremental upgrades as I am able to sell the wife on their value. To give you an idea of where I've come budget-wise: when this was first requested by my wife, it was because of how much the kids enjoyed it when I brought a work projector (ANCIENT Epson that we use...
Petew - definitely painting the closet black. I've already got a few gallons of matte black, and the whole thing (ceiling and walls) will be painted. Good point about the shelving too. The 3d will be mainly for movies (another request of the wife - I don't care, but the kids like 3d) and yes, I've already got a 3d bluray player. If I can save enough on other components, will probably upgrade to a better one. As to the bass shakers vs. subs, I had a friend convince me...
Thanks guys - but my main issue is that 3k is my budget for all components, not just the screen and projector. Starting from scratch - and not looking for the best balls-to-the-wall ht out there. Just a good experience for the family. Does anyone have any experience with the Proscreens rear projection material listed on my wish list?
Dwight - The projector that I'm looking at is designed for short throw, and the measurement of the throw distance is how I originally came to the 90" screen (that's the max for the distance I've got). Almost all home theater projectors come with a "Rear Projection" setting as well that will flip the image so that it is not a "mirror" of the front projection counterpart. I've checked with Optoma, and this particular projector does have that option. I've considered doing a...
Hey everyone - this whole prospect is completely new to me, so I'm simply trying to take into account the limitations of this project. The wife isn't trying to derail the project, as she's the one who requested it. A few extra details for clarification: The lights are low level soffits, so we're not talking overhead fluorescents, but they're necessary because we foster special needs children, and a totally dark room would make it pretty dangerous for them to move...
really high quality build - I love your doors.
This is a beautiful build - jealous!
Hey all - this is my first post on avsforum, and I need some input from you veterans. I'm setting up my first dedicated home theater, and had some major requirements from the other half. Her requirements were: All the components are hidden (including projector, if needed) the speakers included are either in-wall or hidden (including subwoofer) the screen be bright enough to allow room lights to be on, and at least 80" diagonal (no windows in theater - it's in the...