or Connect

Posts by dat56

I don't see anything to keep you from using the Bose speakers with another receiver. It may involve getting different speaker wires than what Bose supplied, though.You will want to make sure the new receiver can do a fairly high crossover from bass module to sats, though. Some receivers will only allow you to set the x/o at a few points, with the highest one being maybe around 150Hz. The Bose system should probably x/o above that. Maybe 200 Hz. And btw, in spite of...
I don't know who said the 901 "produced bass as good as a good subwoofer". It wasn't me. On the other hand, the 901 does indeed go below 100Hz, and it does it very well. Mine measure relatively flat to below 30 Hz. And that is with the bass cut engaged, inserting a 6dB dip at 35Hz. Without that, bass response actually rises down into the 25Hz range, then falls off abruptly. But to me the sound is better with the bass cut in-circuit. Of course, I can't verify the...
I didn't mention Bose. I advised him to compare and make his own decision. And I will post whatever I please.
My Bose experience: 901 Series IV ('79-ish) I liked these just fine until I moved. The new house had no good place to set them up properly. They did sound a bit colored to me, though...a bit chesty sounding. I sold them to a friend who kept them until the surrounds rotted, upon which time Bose replaced them free. How's that for customer service? 901 Series VI ('09) I bought these because I thought their dispersive characteristics might work especially well in my...
To the OP, I would suggest you ignore pretty much everything you've read in this thread and just listen to different speakers and look at different speakers and then decide for yourself.
I'm not making any claims with regards to the accuracy of my posted measurements. They are what they are. I've already covered what I used to take the measurements but I haven't really said anything about the room. The room the 901's are in is 16' x 18.5' x 8.67' (WxLxH). They hang 18" from the ceiling and 17" from the front of one of the short walls. Each speaker is 37" from the nearest sidewall. I took the measurements from the listening position, which is about...
I clearly stated that I measured the speakers with the Bose EQ on. That is the only way you listen to the speaker so it would be kind of pointless to measure them without it. You don't measure speakers w/o their crossover, do you? Try it and see how long your tweeter lasts! Of course the response of the 901 will drop in the bass and treble without EQ. I suppose I could measure them without just for comparison purposes. Then, you could clearly see what the EQ is...
Well, obviously it is possible because that's what I measured. I told you what I measured, exactly how I measured it, and the tools I used. What more do you need?
Now you're calling me a liar? You only believe what you want to believe, apparently. The figures I cited were from memory. I went back and looked at the numbers. I had taken the measurements in '09. So here's some fresh numbers, taken 2/20/2013, in room, from the listening position using STEREOPHILE's Test CD2 and my old Radio Shack analog spl meter, again, correcting readings from 125Hz on down, with known corrections of meter inaccuracies.. Tone controls bypassed,...
Amen to that! The thing is, everyone is so conditioned by the ubiquitousness, if that's a word:) of crossovers and multi-band speaker systems that their deleterious effects are not even noticed. They are just accepted because most people don't hear any alternatives.I had the opportunity a number of years ago to buy a mint, used pair of Ohm F's for $400. I passed, and have regretted it many times since.