or Connect

Posts by Accuphase

I did run the Audyssey setup and it set my mains (DefTech SM65) at 40Hz. I've been trying to dial in the sound so that (and don't laugh..) the congas in the beginning of Hotel California from the Hell Freezes Over album come in clear and not muddy or boomy. The DTS mix on the DVD version is clear, however, the stereo version on CD (or mp3 download) isn't as defined. Audyssey setup at first pass didn't give me the sound I was looking for so I've been toying with settings...
You're right, I wasn't considering how gradual the slope must be in the AVR. I didn't expect as much information being passed to the mains. I could set the crossover to 100Hz and still hear a 50Hz test tone, but not as loud as if I had set the crossover at 60Hz.
That makes sense, so the question is just how severe the slope is, 12db/octave? 24db? I was just surprised how much sound was coming from the speakers. Looks like I'll need to do some measurements with the SPL meter.
So I have my receiver - Denon 3312 - set to cross my fronts and center at 60Hz so the idea is that all information at or below 60Hz is sent to the sub and not to the mains. Correct? However, when I play back test tones, say 40Hz, I can hear it through my front channel. Should my speakers play information that is below the 60Hz crossover point? I've tested by simply powering off the sub and not turning the sub off in the AVR menu. I should not, in theory, hear any...
So I have my receiver - Denon 3312 - set to cross my fronts and center at 60Hz so the idea is that all information at or below 60Hz is sent to the sub and not to the mains. Correct? However, when I play back test tones, say 40Hz, I can hear it through my front channel. Should my speakers play information that is below the 60Hz crossover point? I've tested by simply powering off the sub and not turning the sub off in the AVR menu. I should not, in theory, hear any...
Besides the 3" thick foam on the brick wall, do you have any other room treatment? I'd like to use bass traps but the speakers are in the living room so covering corners with traps is not an option. I've tried tuning the speakers by moving the speakers in and out from the front wall and it's clear that the passive radiators on them really boom near walls. My other speakers never pronounced as much bass near a wall as the 65's. Moving them further apart widens the sound...
So you went from the ported PB to the sealed SB? What are your impressions so far?
Are you using towers or bookshelves on stands?
Curious how far from the front and side walls your speakers are placed. I have the DefTech SM65 speakers mounted on 26" stands with the back of the speaker 23" from the front wall and 6' from the sides. I find that if I move the speakers to less than 1' from the front wall, I can easily notice how boomy the sound gets and vocals definitely lose their clarity. I honestly can't hear the difference if the speakers are moved further from the wall than where I have them now...
I'm in a similar boat of trying to decide whether to 'upgrade' to a powered center or to keep the Mythos Ten as the center channel. On the Mythos Ten, dialog and vocals (in 5.1 from Palladia TV) is clear and Saruman's Voice in Lord of the Rings has a nice gravelly sound. I can't comment on how a powered center channel would compare since I haven't heard either the 8060 or the 8080 yet. But I can assume the 8080 would be a better match for the SM65 since they both use...