or Connect

Posts by thedest

I own an Ipad 2. Even using simple tools to check the calibration shows horrible results on it. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ It is a toy next to my monitor. And what P&Struefan has said is true. That may be my main problem. Most people dont have calibrated monitors. Those who have it are the minority, so most people wont be able to enjoy all the latitude and colors of the display. A smooth shadow on my monitor shows up crushed on my ipad. A well saturated image can show...
Just watched it on my ipad and it does look much better on it. That may be reason. A consumer camera should be calibrated for the popular consumer devices.
Nah... its hard to explain. You need to understand what is a superwhite. Its not an exposure problem per se. Its a problem with the algorithm that the camera uses to cook the image. In a high contrast situation, even if you expose correctly, the camera will record 10% of the highlights on a superwhite area, so even though the highlights were recorded, they will show up like those hot spots.That also means that the camera is 10% overexposed. That will bring gamma shifts....
I do use a high quality, well calibrated display. Specially because I like to edit my pictures and videos.But talking about displays is not important. Checking that is very easy.Here you can see the AX100 framegrab. The red arrow indicates the level of saturation recommended for a well calibrated TV. That is the parameter used for TV delivery. The blue arrow indicates the level of saturation that you can use on high-end displays and in pictures, without bringing artifacts....
Thats the reason why I think that the picture profile is the key and the zebras wont help that much.In this first picture we can see your "raw" video. The red line on that green graphic indicates the limits of our displays. They can only show highlights up to the 100 value. This camera, just like most "cheap" cameras, record superwhites, as you can see. It records highlights up to 110. So 10% of that information is simply lost when you play the video.If you correct the...
I have a doubt, and since that you have much more experience than I do, maybe you can answer that to me. I have never owned a camcorder capable of manual exposure, and there is something that I cant understand. On most of the shots the subject is well exposed, but even being well exposed you still have those cheap blown out spots. That is so cheap. Isnt there a way to expose properly? Everyone was crazy about the Zebra feature on the RX10, but shouldnt it be used to...
Those colors look very cheap and camcorderish. They are pale, fluorescent and undersaturated. It looks like a sad and depressing video (not your fault). And there is a purple cast. Typical on Sony camcorders.Im afraid that your framegrabs wouldnt be good pictures Mark. The resolution is great for a video, but they dont look like real pictures. A 1080p framegrab from a 5D 1080p RAW video would give you a much better picture.Is there a way to change the picture style on this...
RAW really makes things more fun. I cant wait to put my hands on 4k RAW. It gives you freedom to be creative. And yes, I like heavy grading. And I like it for the same reason why people buy surrealistic paintings and dont hang pictures on their walls. Here is my before/after, taken this weekend.
Its not "worn out" enough, because it seems that you havent been able to understand it. Saying that Blackmagic cameras have superwhites is just a way to show that. Superwhites on a Prores or raw file that are going to be processed? Please..."Superwhites" is a problem that affects highly compressed videos. It means that 10% of your highlights can be recorded with values higher that those that your display can show. That will result in a lot of uncontrolled blown out...
Thats why I used quotation marks in "original". Please, pay attention.The colors and the dynamic range are what they are. The superwhites are also present. What can change here is the amount of detail. Will it change dramatically? I dont believe, since Sony is well known for making mushy/water paint consumer videos. Mark has posted some videos in the past that also show that very well (the comparison between the NEX and the EOS M)