or Connect

Posts by acarney

I'm in a charter market that has confirmed external drive support and of course are pushing the 1Tb WD DVR extender. Guess I'll order a 2Tb guy from amazon and hope it works, or that I can return it no questions asked...
Well that's frustrating. How hard would it be to add 20% more quality or something on the h264?! We're talking what, maybe an extra mbit would give decent improvements vs having to add maybe 5mbits to MPEG2. Anyway, this will at least allow more hours packed onto the DVRs... How do you verify it's h264? Is there a hidden diagnostic menu that will show it? Also, are h264 channels passed along the 1394 port to a computer in native format, or transcoded down to mpeg2...
Does anyone know the max size an eSATA expansion drive can be for the dcx3501? I would rather not waste the money just buying a 1TB drive when for like $50 to $75 more I could get a 3TB or even 4TB drive... Charter recommends the specific "DVR AV expansion drive" sold by WD which is only 1TB, but I'm not sure if that's simply because they only tested one drive to verify it works, or because it requires a FAT file table or something and has a limit on the size... hell, even...
Is anyone else frustrated that the TV can't display super HD? When running netflix's test stream the best it'll do is ~3800kbps. My samsung bluray player will step all the way up to like ~5800kbps. I'm on a 100mbit connection and the TV and bluray player are connected via Ethernet to the same router so I don't think it's anything network side that's holding the tv back. I wish Panasonic would update the app or something. The tv has got to have the power to decode a ~6mbps...
Oh man, after reading the 2010 issue and the tech note panasonic has I'm worried I've got a hairline crack too... I would say volume while using the TVs speakers of 7 or 8 and a bright screen I can hear a buzz. Totally can hear it on a white screen like hockey or something. I thought it was the "normal" buzz you get from plasma, but if some people can watch bright content with zero buzz at all... Then I'm wondering if I should call for a Panasonic tech...
Somewhat new plasma owner here (Panasonic GT50, 3 months old) and I'm amazed by the picture quality every time I turn it on. I'm running HD-Masters settings and I love it.... BUT, National Geographic channel is HORRIBLE. The sharp strong yellow logo seems to be perfect to cause very fast burn in. I stopped watching the channel for about a week to allow it to dissipate but "Locked Up Abroad" pulled me back in for back to back episodes. With just TWO hours of viewing I had...
Added my three items! (just starting my HT...) http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/5593#
Would an AMD APU for sure avoid the 59/29 bug? You trade a HUGE amount of x264 encode performance compared to an Intel chip, but if it FOR SURE avoided the bug, then that might be a key change for me...
9 times out of 10 I watch HD channels. However, if there was something super important to watch that only aired on an SD channel and I didn't mind waiting a day to watch it or something, I could record that channel in SD and then use handbrake or something to upscale to 1080 and encode into mp4 or something and then play that back and I would get around the issue of not being able to use that "whole new world" of upscaling, yes? Are those kind of ultra high quality...
I'm hoping not as again I would like to keep the Ceton inside since I'll already need a SDV tuning box and i've got my bluray player AND possibly a battery backup stuffed under my GT50...Also, it looks like the only passively cooled card that is close to the one you suggested is the AMD 7750. I'm worried that might produce too much head for the tight case AND might not even fit...I do watch some SD content, would it look at least as good as a standard cable box going to a...