or Connect

Posts by prazsky

I like the sound of crashplan. $3/month is an amazing deal. But my Internet is way too slow to even consider the option of cloud backup.
It's possible to keep the FlexRaid parity drive totally offline. Let's say you update your movie database snapshot once a week. You then disconnect the ext HDD like any backup drive and keep it in a fireproof box or something. You only need to take it out once a week to update the parity but as I have learnt the downside of this is if somehow data gets corrupted in the meantime due to malware or slow hard drive deterioration in one or more of the drives, it will jeopardize...
I did some more digging and it seems you're correct on that front. The FlexRaid wiki says I'm protected against renames & moves but vulnerable against deletions and edits. Data corruption basically falls in the latter category. I have been bitten in the past with this problem and cannot take the chance again. I think I will stick with my current backup scheme which has served me well. Thanks for enlightening me.The question that keeps spinning in my head is that, if...
I am well aware of the pitfalls of standard hardware and software RAID configurations and have hence avoided them like the plague for years until I heard about FlexRaid. From what I have heard FlexRaid seems to be a little different. I still have my doubts hence I am asking here to cover all bases.It seems unlike ordinary RAID which updates parity in real time, FlexRaid has a manual system that allows you to update and sync the parity drive at your convenience. So even if...
I have done a bit of research on FlexRaid and from what I could gather is that it works with the data rather than at the drive or file system level. So its way more reliable than any other form of RAID and chance of losing data is minimal with OS crash or component failure. Even accidental deletions or data corruptions can be remedied since you need to manually update the RAID parity. So as long as you notice the problem before updating the snapshot, the parity drive can...