or Connect

Posts by samsway

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'd did run CAT 5e to all potential keypad locations for every zone (that's for the future). For now, I was planning on installing cheaper volume controls from monoprice.com. You suggested hooking up two amps to the avr. Which amps would you recommend?I was also looking at costs, and the HTD receiver for the basic setup is not that expensive and will allow me to double up on speakers at each channel. Then, in the future, I can hookup their...
Hello, I have been thinking about how to control my whole home audio system with 12 pairs of speakers. My initial plan was to use the mid level system that HTD sells but I've gone over budget with just speakers for my media room. Here is my setup and what I need help with: I will have 12 pairs of speakers in the whole house and outside. For reference, these are 9 pairs of Polk Audio RC60i, 2 pairs of RC80i, and 1 pair of Atrium 4. All cables from each room run to a...
Thanks for the quick reply (as always!!) 1. I'm doing 4 conductor cable only so I can biamp the speakers... Plan on doing that in the future. 2. Price includes labor and material (but not wires that I would run in the conduits). I'm located in Houston, TX as well. Security system is the standard that you would get for an ADT setup... No cameras included but pre-wired 3. Agree with the zoning... Makes more sense now.. 4. Budget is going to be a concern, considering all...
Following up on my previous thread, I just wanted to share what it is going to cost me for the following pre-wire and conduit plan as provided to me by my builder. I used all the advice that I got here, so I thought it would be best to share with everyone! 7.2 Channel setup with 4 conductor cable at each surround channel (14G) in the media room 11 network audio zones in the house (Cat5e + 4 conductor speaker cable) and 2 speaker positions in each zone. One zone has 4...
Thanks for the info on the siamese cable. I was thinkin of using the cable which has 2 x Cat6 and 2 x RG6 bundled together. Also, planning for the Cat5e bundled with the 4 conductor speaker cable to the keypad locations. My understanding is that the builder will charge me by the number of runs of cables he has to make. So, it'll have to be a balance between number of cables to run, vs cost of the different cables. For the CCTV, I like your idea about monitoring all...
Take a look at what htd.com has to offer. Your solution might be the mid-range system that they offer for whole home audio. Even their basic system is not that bad. Their explanation will also answer your questions about wiring.. Hope this helps!
Since you guys have been so helpful, here are a couple more questions: 1. What do you think about siamese cable available in the various combinations? I'm thinking more along the lines of quality, cost of material, and cost of installation during construction? 2. Thinking ahead, I would also like to prewire for outdoor security cameras... What locations do people generally place cameras in and how many? What kind of cable is most commonly used? 3. Should I also prewire...
Here's another question: Instead of using HDMI over Cat5e/Cat6, how about if I use long runs of HDMI 22 or 24 AWG cables with an inline signal repeater? Will I be able to get 1080p @60Hz with this?
Awesome... Thanks a lot! I'll keep y'all updated on what i do and how much it came out to.
Thanks a lot for all your input. This really helps. I'm not a techie (not even close) but an Emergency Physician. I enjoy educating myself, so everything I've learnt has been through reading. The house has 4 bedrooms (2 masters), 2 secondaries. One gameroom, one media room, one sunroom. Plus the usual study, dining, living, breakfast, kitchen. 2 stories. Here is what I understand: 1. Atleast one RG6 quadshieled in each room. 2. I will have volume control in each of...