or Connect

Posts by GIEGAR

True. It's because to those types of audiophile, it's all about style and expense and very little about actual performance (substance).Those that manufacture/cater/market for the audiophile segment loath the idea of high performance, internally amplified, DSP controlled speakers. Why? It severs the insidious speaker > cable > amp > cable > speaker > cable > amp... "upgrade" churn that the high end audio industry relies on.I'm convinced active/DSP speakers are the way to...
I run a C5 and I'm very happy with it. Dialog clarity is such a non-issue, it occurs to me that I've never really given it any thought. I guess that means it's excellent. You have chosen well with the T6 and B4's too.
I did losservatore. (Well about as much as I could stand... about 3 minutes.) Am I heading up a dry gully? The OP's room is only 5m x 4m.@walterwhite: You've given metric measurements. Where are you located?
It depends on the amplitude of your test signal. For SMPTE/Dolby/THX "reference" calibration, the levels should be set such that a -20dBFS pink noise test signal reads 85dBC at the LP. If it's a -30dBFS signal, levels should be set such that it reads 75dBC at the LP. This applies to all speakers and sub(s).No, the subwoofer output is calibrated at the same level as speakers. The LFE channel (ie. not the sub) has a fixed +10dB boost over the satellite (or main) channel...
Hi WalterIf you want the best loud, accurate sound on a budget you need to forget about the usual home audio suspects. For your intended use, I would seriously consider something like a pair of these:KRK ROKIT Powered 10-3Tri-amplified mid-field studio monitorProduct page: http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-rp10-3.htmlSpecs here: http://www.krksys.com/manuals/rokit/Rokit103_cutsheet.pdfThe Rokits featured at a big speaker shootout about a year...
Thanks carp. I still feel odd quoting myself. Your observations are interesting. I can sort of understand the apparent differences between JTR's and other designs... such as the disparity with the Danleys due to testing methodology, as explained by @desertdome. I suspect there's a hint of exaggeration from some brands too. But I can't really understand the disparity between the Noesis siblings as you'd think Jeff would've used the same methodology to determine their...
JL, just a few points from the above:If you're only going to run 5 (or perhaps 7) channels, you should check around for an Onkyo TX-NR1010. Two less amplified channels is the only appreciable difference between it and the 3010. (BTW, the seller is incorrect in his claim that the 3010 is the flagship. The TX-NR5010 is.)The Onkyo 929 is not quite as capable amplifier-wise as the 1010, 3010 and 5010 models (THX Select -v- THX Ultra certified). Perhaps more importantly,...
:shakes head in disbelief: Crook move Onkyo.
^ Pretty much equal @coolgeek! There's no tangible difference power-wise between the 5010 and the 3009. The 145WPC v 140WPC delta is only 0.2dB... and I suspect the 30xx's are under de-rated anyway. Both THX Ultra 2 Plus certified, so (in theory) will have 12dB in reserve at reference with 101dB/1W/1m sensitive speakers. Still, sucks to be cheated. Dirty mongrel.
BillsSVS SB12-NSD - Piano Gloss - Outlet - $549 shippedGame over!