or Connect

Posts by Mark Kramer

I have the Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Sound System. What I want to do is force the back speakers to do the same thing the front speakers are doing when it's playing 2.1 sound. Is there a setting for that? It seems pointless to only use two speakers when the rear ones could easily be being used as well. 2.1 just sounds so one-sided.
I have the Onkyo HT-S3500 sound system: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077V88V8/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00 I currently have it connected to my computer via an Optical Cable. I decided to run a test to see if the 5.1 was working properly before I used it for anything and I did so using this file: http://www.lynnepublishing.com/surround/www_lynnemusic_com_surround_test.ac3 Every speaker plays in this file except the Front Left speaker but I know the Front Left speaker...
I know it sounds silly, but I didn't know I was supposed to do this until today. Have you removed the protective plastic tips from the Optical Cable?
This is a support forum, shouldn't you be able to mark a problem as solved?
I actually just got it to work, but I have to hold the cable in in order to get sound. Are Optical cables supposed to be this loose? Is it just me or is it always like there's nothing holding them in, they fall out so easily. Really? No one thought to mention that those plastic tips aren't supposed to be on the cables? I have two packages for Optical cables here and neither of them say the plastic tips aren't supposed to be on there. I just wasted 5 days and thirty...
It doesn't work with a new cable either. I just don't know what the problem could possibly be. The only conclusion I have left to draw is that the Optical pots on the receiver don't work.
Thanks, you're right about that stuff, but I already read the manual and verified the settings. I know that stuff isn't the problem. I inspected my optical cable and noticed a small chunk missing from the clear rubber on one of the ends, so I think that's the problem. I'm gonna buy a new cable and see if that fixes it.
Yeah, I tried it with my computer too. Everything should be working because I know the sound from my computer works, the cable is lit up red, the sound on the receiver is set to 30 and not muted, the receiver is set to TV/CD with the cable plugged into the correct port, and all the setting seem correct. Yet it's still not working. I know the receiver works because it works with my Satellite and the radio, but the optical ports don't seem to work at all, I think they might...
The cable box doesn't have an optical port on it. I think my computer does, though. I'll test it tonight after I get out of work.
The cable isn't the issue. I have DirecTV which uses an HDMI cable that I can plug directly into the Onkyo receiver. That gets 5.1 sound. I want to get sound from my TV to the receiver. It's a smart TV so I'm taking about like if I'm watching Netflix on the TV or if I plug a USB drive into the TV.