or Connect

Posts by drmyeyes

I agree about the availability of content as a requirement for success of the format. What has changed is the internet as a source for rentals. Someone, somewhere will adapt the Netflix model for HD, speeding the whole process along.
It was the high cost of VHS/Beta that started the rental market in the first place. (Remember when tapes cost $60 and up, in 1980's dollars?) While it will be a while before your neighborhood store invests in a new inventory, considering they just switched to DVD, rentals will be available immediately on the net, and over the next few years in your neighborhood.
I've been reading Miles Davis' autobiography this past week. He talks about trying to get a blues guitar type voicing into his music after he spent a lot of time listening to Muddy and BB. (Not specifically adding a guitar, but by changing the way he played horn.) Later he talks about wanting to add an actual blues guitar to his group, but was frustrated because he couldn't get "the best" - Jimi or BB. Whatever you think of Miles, he did get to play with lots of great...
Re: BB & Albert When I first began playing the blues, years ago, I played with a pretty good NY area musician, who right off insisted that I listen to a lot of BB. I picked up a whole bunch of stuff on LP that he did, I think, in the early 50's. When you immerse yourself in his music for a while you realize how much of an influence he's been on most of the other players we now all listen to. Every young blues player there is (well, a lot of them, anyway) learns...
Hey, Robert, Yes, I got to see Bryan Lee many times at the Old Absinthe. I passed by what feels like 25 years ago when I heard this incredible electric torrent coming out the window and spent the rest of the night transfixed. I try to get to New Orleans every year or two and have always made it a point of seeing Bryan, usually more than one night, searching him out wherever he's playing. I was there in October '04, and spoke with him for a while. He says 20 years was...
Bryan Lee is a great New Orleans area electric blues guitarman who has a number of cd's out and can be caught live most nights at small clubs in the Big Easy (blind, doesn't travel too much.) Sounds a lot like a cross between Albert King (did anyone mention him?) and Stevie Ray.
Quote: Originally posted by RobertWood I'm happy with DVD. For me to attempt to explain that would be pointless. No one participating in this thread would accept it no matter what I say. And I'm okay with that. [/b] On the contrary, I agree with you completely. DVD on my HT already looks better than my local cinema. While I'm sure that HD looks better, ultimately content must rule. I learned my lesson many years ago when I fell victim to a...
Quote: Originally posted by LoveMovies drmyeyes, p.s. are you a Jackson Browne fan, or an eye doctor? Both. The Jackson Browne part, however, goes back so many years that he's somewhere in the basement storage closet of my musical influences. Always did like the song, though, and felt it made a good moniker.
Quote: Originally posted by RBO I give my duplicates or no longer desirable dvds to the in-laws. I gave my no longer desirable in-laws to the video store!
Me, too. Just missed a week of work, lying around coughing (and I'm a doctor). Part of the problem is that when I lie down, I start coughing, so I haven't even been able to toss back and forth in bed. I'm finally starting to get better, I guess, since I just succeeded in watching 'Sky Captain', one chapter at a time, sitting upright at my desk, on my computer monitor. It's four AM as I type this, which may not be too unusual for many of you on a Saturday night, but is...