Pros: Great sound, Many hdmi inputs, Dual hdmi out, internet and local audio streaming, usb port for ipod/usb drive
Cons: Finicky with roku streamers, limited upconversion, no processing on zone 2, remote isn't backlit
- Audyssey to setup speakers and to enable night mode playback
- instapreview is awesome when you have multiple hdmi devices including a cable/sat stb
- Although I generally only use Pandora it is nice having the other choices available to stream
- I love the app support for smartphones/tablets but unfortunately my ipod touch is too old to use the ios app - I was able to test some of the features with an app designed for older onkyo receivers
- having a 2nd hdmi out is really great if you use this for a projector and a flatscreen - note the sub hdmi don't show the osd/gui
I currently have this setup as htpc>hdmi>onkyo>hdmi>lcdtv with my nintendo wii directly connected to the tv and using hdmi arc to handle sound from wii/digital ota tv. I used the setup mic to calibrate the speakers. It was very simple just plug in the mic and place it in several seating positions while it does its thing.
The UI pretty straight forward but I suspect that non techy people will prefer to only use net radio and instapreview elements and never touch the setup screen after initial setup. This avr also features a web interface similar to routers where you can manage your streaming credentials and network settings from your pc/mac which is way quicker then with a remote.
Overall this avr sounds way better then my yamaha home theater in a box kit with the speakers that came with that kit. I would comment on the video conversion but as said previously it don't work at all for my particular resolution.