or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Am I the only one who doesn't like Ascend Acoustic's Sierra-1's???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I the only one who doesn't like Ascend Acoustic's Sierra-1's??? - Page 15

post #421 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Lo0P0o View Post

The suspense is killing me LOL. I cant wait until this all unfolds. I personally have been loving every minute of my sierra's. I'll be logging in from work to see this one out

Just remember: one guy's opinion in his room, using his source material.
post #422 of 450
and no bias controls... is there level matching?
post #423 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Lo0P0o View Post

I cant wait until this all unfolds.



I can.
post #424 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post

Just remember: one guy's opinion in his room, using his source material.

Yeah I understand that, but I have played so many different types of music from a vast amount of genre's on these and have not been disappointed at all.
Maybe it is his room, who knows?
post #425 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post



I can.

Me, too... I'm finding this whole thing to be the epitome of lame.

J.
post #426 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Lo0P0o View Post

Maybe it is his room, who knows?

More importantly, who cares?

Seriously, to give a thread such a silly title, to waffle back and forth about one speaker and another (did someone say PULLIAMM?), to be so coy and secretive about the new speakers coming in, and finally to chide others for intruding on his thread...give me a break.

I hope UPS drops them...gently...

J.
post #427 of 450
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman View Post

More importantly, who cares?

Seriously, to give a thread such a silly title, to waffle back and forth about one speaker and another (did someone say PULLIAMM?), to be so coy and secretive about the new speakers coming in, and finally to chide others for intruding on his thread...give me a break.

I hope UPS drops them...gently...

J.

Then why not just let the thread die? That's what I really want anyway. Did you just have nothing else to do today, so you thought you'd revive this thread and complain? If you ask me, you're the "epitome of lame". Now go build some speaker stands so you're not in such a bad mood.

And for the record, I have a good reason for keeping my mouth shut. I will post on this thread no more...
post #428 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

And for the record, I have a good reason for keeping my mouth shut. I will post on this thread no more...

Well, I for one would like to hear how your journey concludes. So I hope you will post your final findings somewhere if not in this thread!
post #429 of 450
If you want the thread to die TJHUB, PM a mod and ask them to close it. Otherwise it'll live on like genital herpes.
post #430 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Otherwise it'll live on like genital herpes.

The gift that keeps on giving!
post #431 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

Then why not just let the thread die? That's what I really want anyway. Did you just have nothing else to do today, so you thought you'd revive this thread and complain? If you ask me, you're the "epitome of lame". Now go build some speaker stands so you're not in such a bad mood.

And for the record, I have a good reason for keeping my mouth shut. I will post on this thread no more...

Wait, so we aren't going to find out what speakers you chose that fit your requirements?

That's kind of disappointing...I'm sure most of us here want to know what you went with after all.
post #432 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggingITGuy View Post

..............I'm sure most of us here want to know what you went with after all.

speak for yourself
post #433 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

I would have, but Jim Salk gave me a about a 3 week lead time. Too long as I would have had to send the Sierra's back before then. I was curious and almost took the plunge, but then a couple of other things developed. The SongTowers would have been a bunch of extra $$ as I'd need a center channel too. Unfortunately I'll be always be wondering "what if" about them. I can only imagine just how great they may be. Oh well...

You passed on them? Bummer, as I think they'd fit the bill perfectly. Oh well... Good luck in your search.
post #434 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf View Post

Just so we're very clear. According to PULLIAMM

Def Tech is better than EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
a while later
B&W 602 is better than EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
a while later
B&W 705 is better than EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
a while later
some cheap studio monitors better than EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
a while later
KRK better than EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
now its
Cambridge better than EVERYTHING ELSE!!!

I probably missed a couple of speakers in there, but its impossible to keep up...


Ya you did:

Insignia is better than EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
a while later
Infinity Primus 150s are better than EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
a while later
Mirages are better than EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
a while later

etc etc... i probably missed a couple dozen speakers myself... LOL


LOL sorry for the OT... back on topic here I would like to see how your quest ends TJHUB. Having the 604 S3's myself I can relate to many comments in this thread. Are they very neutral speaker that measures flat... well i will not be the first to say they are not... in my decision making it was all about tradeoffs. To fill a large space at loud spls from a far listening position I needed a speaker that was dynamic and effortless, and did not compress... I find the 600 B&W line to be a tradeoff of muscle and fidelity (several other speakers had the muscle but not the fidelity, and others that had more fidelity but couldnt give the realism at louder spls. There are certain things my cheap $250 boston CR67s do better than my B&W's, so goes to show that price is not necessarily indicative of sonic performance. Every speaker is all about tradeoffs in my opinion, and obviously there are some bad designs out there, good and bad values all alike.
post #435 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgriel View Post

Well, I for one would like to hear how your journey concludes. So I hope you will post your final findings somewhere if not in this thread!

With all the build up and suspense I was also hoping to hear what he finally went with. Too bad, it started out very interesting...oh well.
post #436 of 450
Thread Starter 
I'm sorry. I guess I'll make this last post for those that may care:

The situation is really complicated and I have no interest in explaining everything. In the end it really doesn't matter anyway.

I purchased a pair of B&W 805S's about 2 weeks ago and I love them. They aren't better than the Sierra's in every way, as a matter of fact they are more on par with most aspects. The Sierra's midrange/bass is really something special. I think the B&W's come very close, but the Sierra's edge them out with a special clarity and overall tone. For me, the 805S's edge out the win over the Sierra's with the metal dome tweeter. I just prefer it. I think the Sierra's are just a little to neutral sounding for me. I guess my British ears just can't be changed.

David Fabrikant understands all of this and he was nothing but a pleasure to work with. He really helped me a lot with PM's and emails. He is VERY objective about his speakers. He's beyond a great guy; just simply one of the best.

I do feel a little sick spending the extra money, but I'll have these speakers a long time (hopefully). In the end, the ~$1,400.00 for the Sierra-1 mains and center is a lot easier to swallow than the ~$3,600.00 for the 805S's and an HTM4S center. I hope I made the right decision...

I appologize for this situation turning out so strange, but as I've stated before, I didn't create the entire situation. I'm just trying to do the right thing, and I hope everyone can just try to understand.

Thanks.

(This is really the end of this thread for me now. )
post #437 of 450
I for one, am glad you found the speakers that work for you.... that is what it is all about...

You and I pretty much ran the same gammut, being a Paradigm Studio fan, trying the new SVS MTS series, but opting to go back to the sound that I was taken with and was familiar with, used too... I moved up in the Paradigm Line to the Signatures...

When I sent back the SVS MTS series, I caught alot of hell for it as well... but they just didn't do it for me, and in the end, that is what is the most important. They were very good speakers sonic wise, but I preferred a different sound characteristic.

There will always be someone there to have their own opinion about your decision, but truly it was only yours to make.
post #438 of 450
Glad it worked out for you. Think of these as a long term investment put some music on turn of the computer and most of all ENJOY THE MUSIC.
post #439 of 450
A somewhat surprising conclusion, but glad you found something which really works for you! Often in those cases, I'd also have recommended spending the extra money to get what you really like. Otherwise, all too often you end up regretting the decision... The 805s are definitely one of the B&W speakers I'd be able to live with, great imaging (out of other qualities)! Enjoy!
post #440 of 450
Hey, glad to here it worked out. I think speakers have to be the most difficult of the choices to make and while there are plenty of opinions to go around, it's what works for you that counts. Enjoy.

If you're smart you will stay away from the speaker section of the forum for awhile. In the end, it really is difficult to actually hear many of the brands discussed, and with all the discussions and praise about brands you never heard and new models being discussed it always brings back the "what if" thoughts.

Personally, I've had a set of M&K's for 5 years now and while I enjoy them very much it is hard not to wonder when scanning this forum. However, since I don't have the funds to do anything about it, I can safely read along with no serious intentions of trying to satisfy the urge to switch.
post #441 of 450
Excellent speakers! Kind of an anti-climatic ending.

Now just kick-back and enjoy.
post #442 of 450
Was following this thread, and I don't think it's a surprise at all. Started with some nice B&W's and ended up trying something else that didn't do it for you. So you ended up going back to the brand that has the distinct sound you enjoy. There is nothing wrong with having a different preference then others. Thats why they make SO many speakers.
post #443 of 450
Heeeey, good for you TJHUB! I am happy that you found the speakers you were after. Enjoy, pal!
post #444 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

I'm sorry. I guess I'll make this last post for those that may care:

The situation is really complicated and I have no interest in explaining everything. In the end it really doesn't matter anyway.

I purchased a pair of B&W 805S's about 2 weeks ago and I love them. They aren't better than the Sierra's in every way, as a matter of fact they are more on par with most aspects. The Sierra's midrange/bass is really something special. I think the B&W's come very close, but the Sierra's edge them out with a special clarity and overall tone. For me, the 805S's edge out the win over the Sierra's with the metal dome tweeter. I just prefer it. I think the Sierra's are just a little to neutral sounding for me. I guess my British ears just can't be changed.

David Fabrikant understands all of this and he was nothing but a pleasure to work with. He really helped me a lot with PM's and emails. He is VERY objective about his speakers. He's beyond a great guy; just simply one of the best.

I do feel a little sick spending the extra money, but I'll have these speakers a long time (hopefully). In the end, the ~$1,400.00 for the Sierra-1 mains and center is a lot easier to swallow than the ~$3,600.00 for the 805S's and an HTM4S center. I hope I made the right decision...

I appologize for this situation turning out so strange, but as I've stated before, I didn't create the entire situation. I'm just trying to do the right thing, and I hope everyone can just try to understand.

Thanks.

(This is really the end of this thread for me now. )

I wanted to ask you a quick question?....just kidding Nice speakers BTW.
post #445 of 450
Awesome TJHUB! While I haven't posted yet on this thread, I've been following it and have been very curious as to which speakers you'd end up with. I'm really glad you ended up with speakers you enjoy .
post #446 of 450
I love the inclusion of a 'hush hush' element into the finale of this little drama. Now I'm thinking TJHUB is actually MI-5 and somehow his choice of speakers will play a part in delicate negotiations with double agents working for Vladimir Putin.

Or maybe it's all about genital herpes.
post #447 of 450
Please come see my ad at AVS classifieds
post #448 of 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

I love the inclusion of a 'hush hush' element into the finale of this little drama. Now I'm thinking TJHUB is actually MI-5 and somehow his choice of speakers will play a part in delicate negotiations with double agents working for Vladimir Putin.

Or maybe it's all about genital herpes.

Shhhhhh!
post #449 of 450
Just wanted to say, that was a great thread. I know it was stopped a month ago, but I just found it now doing what TJHUB did - searching for reviews on the Sierra 1's.

It's funny.. my current (10 year old) Mission 702's, I believe have that British sound and I too am looking to replace them with Sierra 1's. I'd love to find a graph showing the FR on the Missions and see if they have the same smiley face FR. I bought them ages ago when I didn't know much about speakers, or what I wanted in them. Just like TJHUB, I love they way the sound with Jazz, but not much else. When auditioning speakers, I found I rather enjoyed some of the Totem designs.. which turn out to have a smiley face FR as well. Maybe my ear is less critical and in quick listening, I am caught by that Boom and Sizzle act? I've also fallen in love with the PSB Synchrony Two B's which I understand have a much flatter FR. Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and thank TJ for starting this great discussion. I learned a bunch!



spin
post #450 of 450
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spincycle79 View Post

Just wanted to say, that was a great thread. I know it was stopped a month ago, but I just found it now doing what TJHUB did - searching for reviews on the Sierra 1's.

It's funny.. my current (10 year old) Mission 702's, I believe have that British sound and I too am looking to replace them with Sierra 1's. I'd love to find a graph showing the FR on the Missions and see if they have the same smiley face FR. I bought them ages ago when I didn't know much about speakers, or what I wanted in them. Just like TJHUB, I love they way the sound with Jazz, but not much else. When auditioning speakers, I found I rather enjoyed some of the Totem designs.. which turn out to have a smiley face FR as well. Maybe my ear is less critical and in quick listening, I am caught by that Boom and Sizzle act? I've also fallen in love with the PSB Synchrony Two B's which I understand have a much flatter FR. Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and thank TJ for starting this great discussion. I learned a bunch!



spin

I was surprised to see this thread back from the dead. I'm glad it helped you...or did it?

I still really like the B&W 805S's and I really can't find much fault with them even today. One aspect I wish they did have from the Sierra's is that punchy low end between 80-100Hz. I also find my 805S's as forgiving as the Sierra's for all genres of music.

Now that I would like a better subwoofer, I really wish I had liked the Sierra's because with the money I would have saved, I could get ANY sub I wanted. But because I dropped $4,700.00 on my mains and center instead of the $1,400.00 on the Sierra's, I can't (at least right now anyway).

Do yourself a HUGE favor and find a pair of speakers that you like but are as forgiving as possible to any music genre. NOTHING is better!

Good luck!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Am I the only one who doesn't like Ascend Acoustic's Sierra-1's???