or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Owners Thread [No Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Owners Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 2

post #31 of 12670
There isn't any buzzing at all: not from the electronics (ie. ground loop), not from the speakers (ie. distortion) during audio, not when on mute or when dialog is low and volume is high.

There are two settings under advance video for noise reduction but I don't see any difference when applied. Video Noise Reduction (Video NR) and MPEG NR. I tested both with SD signals from cable and DVD, couldn't really see a difference. I think its scaler is pretty good. I have a 59avi and I prefer to let the TV scale my DVDs. Last night I fed it 480i via HDMI and watched part of "The Return of the King". Seeing how great the picture was made less anxious to upgrade to Bluray.
post #32 of 12670
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeaustin View Post

feds27....thanks for the shots! Question...is the screen really that gray?! Or is it black and thats just the way it came out in the pics?

It's not grey at all, it's just the way it came out in the pics with the flash. I tend to be against posting screen shots because what I see may not be what others see. Things like lighting, angle, exposure, color management all affect the photo. What others see on their computer screen may not be what I see.
post #33 of 12670
Thanks a lot man! Pics look great! I can't wait to get my buzzing 5080 returned today and get my 58u!
post #34 of 12670
feds27,

thank you so much for the pictures!!! you are the first person to provide useful photos and with content on the screen.

if you have some time later could you please take a picture of the inputs in the back and the side?

thank you again.
post #35 of 12670
I was going to post photos of the inputs and side controls but I saw that Crutchfield posted them last week. Do you guys still want me to post them? Crutchfield's remote control, side controls, and rear inputs shots are spot on.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...0PZ85&g=146350

This is for the 50" but it's identical to the 46" that I have.
post #36 of 12670
Quote:
Originally Posted by feds27 View Post

Here's the custom setting. I was limited in my previous post. This is the factory custom setting. I have yet to run Avia/Essentials to configure the color.

I am hanging around waiting for the delivery of the same set here. It should be here in a couple hours. I noticed in the calibration forum they recommend ISF only after the phosphors have settled (>100 hours). Does the same apply to AVIA calibration?

Avia is available via netflix, I see that I can order the filters from the ovation website. Is anything else required? (I don't want to shell out the bucks for the disk until the new Blu-ray AVIA comes out).

Lastly, since my pz85 will be used in all sorts of light conditions does the light sensor automatically adjust the color settings to optimal values or am I dreaming? How do others handle this?
post #37 of 12670
great pics. you made me even more anxious to get this set.
post #38 of 12670
Quote:
Originally Posted by feds27 View Post

I was going to post photos of the inputs and side controls but I saw that Crutchfield posted them last week. Do you guys still want me to post them? Crutchfield's remote control, side controls, and rear inputs shots are spot on.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...0PZ85&g=146350

This is for the 50" but it's identical to the 46" that I have.

If you could please, like a shot of the whole backside?

post #39 of 12670
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeaustin View Post

feds27....thanks for the shots! Question...is the screen really that gray?! Or is it black and thats just the way it came out in the pics?

great pics feds27, thanks. looking forward to the sharper tripod pics....yeah, the screen looks quite (lighter) grey when off as compared to the 700/77 which if I recall look much darker....could be the new AR filter.

Personally I'd prefer a TV to look dark (as close to black) when off especially when it's a 50" monster in a room only 10' wide can other people who own or have had a chance to see these 85u's comment on how light the grey is compared to the 2007 pannys (700/77) when turned off?

EDIT - oops, I just saw your post # 32 feds27....."It's not grey at all, it's just the way it came out in the pics with the flash", good to know....when u take the tripod pics can you take a pic on long exposure w/o flash so we can see how it looks. thanks!
post #40 of 12670
Quote:
Originally Posted by am777 View Post

great pics feds27, thanks. looking forward to the sharper tripod pics....yeah, the screen looks quite (lighter) grey when off as compared to the 700/77 which if I recall look much darker....could be the new AR filter. Personally I'd prefer a TV to look dark (as close to black) when off especially when it's a 50" monster in a room only 10' wide can other people who own or have had a chance to see these 85u's comment on how light the grey is compared to the 2007 pannys (700/77) when turned off?

It can look pretty grey when off but when turned on it is one sweet picture. In feds27's pics he did have a lot of light coming in, the one I saw wasn't as grey.
post #41 of 12670
great pics feds... you're right, it doesn't look too bad at all! hmm may just have to consider this set now!
post #42 of 12670
Are there any fans in the rear of the unit? is so how many?
post #43 of 12670
I have to say I like the bezel better on the PZ85 then the PZ80, it looks cleaner to me, what do you guys think.
post #44 of 12670
Thanks for the pics! I just ordered mine thru my EPP at work and am waiting to see when I might get it. I hate having to order stuff. When I put out 1,700$ for something I want it now. I am sure it will be worth the wait.

OH please more pics. I can't get enough.
post #45 of 12670
Feds27, try to stay away from the vivid setting, they only use that in the stores showroom and when you take it out of the box its usally set on vivid, there are many posts on this site recomending not to use it, your picture/set will last longer.
post #46 of 12670
Sweeeeeet!! Thanks for the pics!

I think the bottom speakers actually look beautiful when you look down at the TV. Can't wait for my PZ85!!
post #47 of 12670
fed27, very nice pics!
If possible, can you measure the depth of the pedestal i.e. distance between the outermost front edge and front of screen.
Trying to figure out if i can place my center channel speaker on top of the pedestal

Thanks
post #48 of 12670
Quote:
Originally Posted by specgeorge View Post

Feds27, try to stay away from the vivid setting, they only use that in the stores showroom and when you take it out of the box its usally set on vivid, there are many posts on this site recomending not to use it, your picture/set will last longer.

Thanks for the warning. I noticed right away it was set too bright and with too much saturation. I've been running it in Cinema mode since I unboxed it minus the few shots I took for comparison.

I ran AVIA earlier today using the Custom preset, however, I started with the same values as Cinema. I figured if I'm going to alter a setting it should be the Custom and, having liked the Cinema setting, I figured I'd start with those values. For some strange reason Custom is not equal to the other presets because the same settings for Cinema are brighter and with more blotchiness when run under the Custom preset. I read a few other threads where people reported this difference, so it seems like the norm. I may jot down the original Cinema settings and then run AVIA under the Cinema preset.
post #49 of 12670
After seeing this set in person the "shelf" for the speakers turns out to be a non issue, it looks way more pronounced in the official photos. Just ordered my set for next Tues delivery.
post #50 of 12670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post

fed27, very nice pics!
If possible, can you measure the depth of the pedestal i.e. distance between the outermost front edge and front of screen.
Trying to figure out if i can place my center channel speaker on top of the pedestal

Thanks

6" from the screen and 17.75" wide. I slopes downward so you would most likely need to prop the front of your center channel up to compensate, that is if your listening position is higher than the pedestal.
post #51 of 12670
Quote:
Originally Posted by feds27 View Post

6" from the screen and 17.75" wide. I slopes downward so you would most likely need to prop the front of your center channel up to compensate, that is if your listening position is higher than the pedestal.

That was quick
Thanks
post #52 of 12670
Hey there,

Hmmm looks like Panasonic is creeping up on Pioneer.

Does anyone know when the 58 inch version will be out?

Thanks!
post #53 of 12670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurich View Post

After seeing this set in person the "shelf" for the speakers turns out to be a non issue, it looks way more pronounced in the official photos. Just ordered my set for next Tues delivery.

The press photos don't do it justice. For some odd reason they make the speaker look grey when it's actually gloss black with the perforations facing downward.

This is not an issue for me but I was surprised to find out the speakers are definitely molded to the case and removing them is not an option.
post #54 of 12670
Camera exposure plays a huge part in screenshots. I took each of these photos at 3 different exposures in trying to get shots that resemble what I'm seeing.

The screen shots are of 2001 A Space Odyssey in HD off of Cablevision with a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR. I tried to shots people would recognize and that challenged the Panny's darks and dynamic range.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #55 of 12670
more pics...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #56 of 12670
this one is more familiar....I've seen it floating around on this forum in a few different threads.

That's the power LED in the lower left hand corner of the shot. This movie is 2.35:1 so I get the black bars on top and bottom.
LL
post #57 of 12670
Wow!!! Pioneer is in trouble!
post #58 of 12670
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeaustin View Post

Wow!!! Pioneer is in trouble!

Riiiiiight
post #59 of 12670
Not to take away from Panasonic but if Pioneer wasn't so darn expensive....

I got my 46" 85U at employee pricing so that was a HUGE factor, not to mention they also had a 46" model. The Pioneer Kuros only came in 42" and 50". I was debating the 42" 720p Kuro but I'm glad I went with a larger screen.
post #60 of 12670
Quote:
Originally Posted by feds27 View Post

Not to take away from Panasonic but if Pioneer wasn't so darn expensive....

I got my 46" 85U at employee pricing so that was a HUGE factor, not to mention they also had a 46" model. The Pioneer Kuros only came in 42" and 50". I was debating the 42" 720p Kuro but I'm glad I went with a larger screen.

Your pics look great. Even from pics you tell the detail and sharp black background. This set is going to be a huge seller.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Owners Thread [No Price Talk]