I am a LOST fan. Ive watched every episode and am pretty wrapped up in its "mythology". Right off the bat I will tell you, if you do not like LOST, have never watched or seen very little of LOST or have no idea about the story arc, dont bother with this game.
I got to play thru at least two "episodes" last night (with my wife, also a LOST fan who never watches me play a video game!)-GRAPHICS - 9.0
- They did an amazing job with the island. This is definitely a very good looking game. Everything is where it should be and will be immediately recognizable. The jungles "feel" lush and react to you stepping thru leaves and brush. There is a sense of heat and atmosphere. The characters range from looking very close to themselves (Kate,Jack, Ben, Locke, Sun and Jin) to looking like video game plastic versions (Hurley, Michael, Sawyer, Sayid and Claire). The animations on your character are very good. The lighting is also pretty perfect. Oh and the Black Smoke Monster is.....perfect. Definitely a win in this column.STORYLINE - 8.0
- You're a photojournalist with amnesia and you start off on Oceanic 815, which is pretty cool in itself. Your job is to piece together your past thru interactive flashbacks. Then its to find out what is going on in the island and how to get off. Although, chances are you probably wont find out whats going on and you wont get off the island. Just a guess. The interactions are accomplished thru relatively simple conversation trees. No real surprises. You can ask specific Quest related questions or random "Getting to know you" type questions (Why were you on 815?). The characters actlike themselves which is nice. For LOST fans, it is awesome to feel like part of the storyline and little bits of detail will be very cool and noticeable only to those that really pay attention to the show. As solid as a storyline based on an ongoing continuosly evolving story can be.GAMEPLAY - 7.5
- I guess this is the games weakest point. This game was not meant for a "hardcore" base, so its reflected in its controls. Fairly simple, walk, run jump, use. You can switch to a stationary first person view at any time which is wonderful for exploring the island and its surrounding. The money system is based on bartering so one coconut = $2, one water bottle = $5. You'll need to find stuff like that to get items from people like hard-assed Sawyer who charges $50 bucks for a friggin' oil lantern. Pretty funny. There are also puzzles which are, at least as far as I got, moderatley challenging and enjoyable. My wife aced those for me since I pretty much suck at puzzles. Navigating your way thru the jungle is interesting too although lacks variety. Nothing too memorable gameplay-wise.SOUND - 9.5
- Incredible - They got the music and the sounds down very well. It adds so much to the game. Hearing the Black Smoke Monster for the first time circling around my surround sound was a goose bump moment for both me and my wife. The voices that are not the actual actors (which are the majority) are just ok, but was not as much of a distraction as I thought. I got used to it. I was thrilled to hear Ben was actually Ben. If it isnt, it may as well be. REPLAYABILITY AND ONLINE COMPONENT
- Probably pretty low and no online component - What would you play? Team Deathmatch? Claire vs. Charlie?... Although... Survivors vs Others may have been a missed opportunity OVERALL - 8.5 - Very Good - Rent for casual and leisure LOST viewers\\Purchase for hardcore fans\\ Forget about it for pretty much anyone else
- I guess I was expecting the game to be more of a letdown since I hadnt heard much about it. I am pleasantly surprised at the quality and execution of the game. It definitely feels like episodes of LOST (Missions are actually broken down into episodes that begin and end the same way all the episodes do... Awesome!
). I also definitely "feel" like I am on the island although my connection to the new character is not too strong. Maybe that'll change or maybe it wont. It probably wont have much replay value once you're done, so keep that in mind. Like I said, my wife never watches me play a video game, but she sat with me thru two hours of it... and wants to watch me again when I play tonight! Kudos to the development team for actually putting some heart into it and satisfying at least two fans with a decent TV show based game.