or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › Which Album (CD or Vinyl) Are you listening to now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which Album (CD or Vinyl) Are you listening to now - Page 7

post #181 of 11311
Return To Forever, Romantic Warrior. They are touring now...
post #182 of 11311
Anybody get the re-issues of the first 2 Metallica albums on 45's.
post #183 of 11311
Morphine - Yes (vinyl)

post #184 of 11311
pink floyd, 'obscured by clouds'.

grammophone cassette, '72.
had to retune aphex exciter to get some high hz out of this 36 yr old tape.
ok, now it sounds good.
post #185 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

pink floyd, 'obscured by clouds'.

grammophone cassette, '72.
had to retune aphex exciter to get some high hz out of this 36 yr old tape.
ok, now it sounds good.

geez, that was short. as were most single lps/tapes back in the day.

now, put on '10cc live', taken from a 'king bicuit flour hour' show, '77, iirc.
ah, 'wall st. shuffle', i remember this song. vaguely.
post #186 of 11311
well, 10cc is done. now onto

stravinsky's 'firebird suite'!
post #187 of 11311
Wow must be Synchronicity (no that's the Police) !
I had 10cc "How dare you" followed by the Tubes "The Completion Backward Principle" .
Not Stravinsky but not bad.

-t
post #188 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarry View Post

The album you have stashed away is (It Aint Easy) and that has (Dont try to lay no Boogie Woogie on the King of R&R) I just picked up that Cd a while back mainly because of that song. They reissued both albums on Cd, Mr. Baldry passed away not to long ago R.I.P. Unfortunately I removed my turntable to make room for a new Pioneer Rec., although I do plan on setting up a another system with a vintage marantz Rec, and some old Coral speakers I purchased in Hong Kong while in the Navy. Couple other albums I listened to before removing player, John Mayall (Back to the Roots) and Savoy Brown (Raw Sienna).

quarry, i just came across the LJB lp i had buried away, its titled 'Baldry's Out!', emi 1979.

got your 2nd system set up yet?

post #189 of 11311
now playing LP of jean-luc pontys' 'electric connection'.
been a while since ive heard this.

and now for a beer.!
post #190 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

now playing LP of jean-luc pontys' 'electric connection'.
been a while since ive heard this.

and now for a beer.!

the jlp lp was pretty darn good!

now on deck is 'fever' by ronnie laws , huberts younger bro.
post #191 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

quarry, i just came across the LJB lp i had buried away, its titled 'Baldry's Out!', emi 1979.

got your 2nd system set up yet?


I dont think I ever seen that lp before, checked amazon, and see it was released on CD in 94, (live/import) how much vinyl do you own? Music Machine to Jean Luc Ponty, sounds like my record collection, as far as diversity. Morgana King?? Have any Thirteenth Floor Elevators or John Klemmer. No 2nd system yet.
post #192 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

now playing LP of jean-luc pontys' 'electric connection'.
been a while since ive heard this.

and now for a beer.!

Last night it was Beatles-LOVE 5.1 DVD, with Bells (Best Brown Ale) in hand. I saw this show in Vegas at the Mirage 1 1/2 yrs ago it was incredible. The sound was the best I've ever heard in a theatre, they actually had small spkrs. in the headrests of every seat. Anybody else see it? George Martin and his son did a great job on the sound production.
post #193 of 11311
listening to Yael Naim over Rhapsody. My wife asked "who is that singing on the MAC Air commerical", so a quick minute or so with Google and there she was. It's a pretty good album - some songs in French, some in Hebrew and some in english.
post #194 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarry View Post

I dont think I ever seen that lp before, checked amazon, and see it was released on CD in 94, (live/import) how much vinyl do you own? Music Machine to Jean Luc Ponty, sounds like my record collection, as far as diversity. Morgana King?? Have any Thirteenth Floor Elevators or John Klemmer. No 2nd system yet.

how much vinyl?,
+/- 250 lps. not a large collection, actually. but they are somewhat diverse.
+/- 200 commercially produced cassettes
+/- 400 cassettes copied from lps from '72 thru '04. (a lot of life time used up there-i try to listen to them as much as possible to 'reconcile' some of that time)
no TFE or klemmer.

other than concert dvds of mostly classic rock artists i havent bought any new music since '03. am currently awaiting delivery of d gilmours 'remember that night' concert dvd.

dont have time to listen/watch all the stuff i already have.
post #195 of 11311
Wolf and Muddy.




Fela Kuti, Big Mama T and Etta James



Got some vinyl coming in soon.....can't wait.
post #196 of 11311
Jesse Cook - Vertigo

Ottmar Liebert - Nouveau Flamenco

-t
post #197 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

how much vinyl?,
+/- 250 lps. not a large collection, actually. but they are somewhat diverse.
+/- 200 commercially produced cassettes
+/- 400 cassettes copied from lps from '72 thru '04. (a lot of life time used up there-i try to listen to them as much as possible to 'reconcile' some of that time)
no TFE or klemmer.

other than concert dvds of mostly classic rock artists i havent bought any new music since '03. am currently awaiting delivery of d gilmours 'that night' concert dvd.

dont have time to listen/watch all the stuff i already have.

I know what you mean by (Dont have time to listen/watch what I have now.. I also have a lot of cassettes, I remember spending hrs just to record a single 90 min tape from vinyl, they truly would become labors of Love. Let me know how you like d. gilmours dvd. I have Roger Waters (in the flesh) which sounds excellent. Recommended for any PF fan.
post #198 of 11311
The Allman Brothers Band-Wipe The Windows,Check The Oil ,Dollar Gas
post #199 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarry View Post

I know what you mean by (Dont have time to listen/watch what I have now.. I also have a lot of cassettes, I remember spending hrs just to record a single 90 min tape from vinyl, they truly would become labors of Love. Let me know how you like d. gilmours dvd. I have Roger Waters (in the flesh) which sounds excellent. Recommended for any PF fan.

i neglected to include in my 'collection' list the approx 900 dvds (movies and concerts), again most (80%) of which i havent even seen yet.

i also have r. waters' 'in the flesh' and havent seen it yet. also pfs' 'pulse' which i have seen and love.
check out 'strat pack' dvd with d gilmour, j walsh, b may, etc.
post #200 of 11311
Tonight's listening:
J.S. Bach: Wachet aut, ruft uns die Stimme, BWV140
Performers: soloists Giebel, Topper, Schreier and Adam; Thomanechor Leipzig; Mitglieder des Gewandhausorcvhesters Leipzig
Archiv Production LP 198 407 - quite a magical cantata which I haven't auditioned in a LONG time. Very good sound quality and captivating performance.

Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 5 in D major ("Reformation")
Performers: Israel Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Leonard Bernstein
Deutsche Grammophon LP 415 018-1 - eloquently played, this composition does have a lot of rhetorical "fluff" which can be a bit heavy compared with Mendelssohn's lighter works, but Bernstein captures the strengths of this work. The Israel Philharmonic rises to the occasion and sounds splendid.
post #201 of 11311
The Kills - Midnight Boom
post #202 of 11311
right now, the fab fours' 'rubber soul'. vinyl. not a scratch!
WOW!
post #203 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

right now, the fab fours' 'rubber soul'. vinyl. not a scratch!
WOW!

that was quick.

now onto 'olias of sunhillow'

jon anderson (yes); '76 solo, vinyl again.
never actually have played this lp. i had a crappy home-cooked cassette of it for 30 yrs and got the lp (exact same lp i made the crappy cassette from) from a friend 5 yrs ago. this is my 1st play.
post #204 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

right now, the fab fours' 'rubber soul'. vinyl. not a scratch! WOW!

Nice! I listened to a worn (fair condition) LP of the White Album late last week, the music and engineering still shines through!
post #205 of 11311
Right now I am listening to the Doors Boxed Set just released on 180gm vinyl last week. The entire Doors collection remastered by legendary engineer, Bruce Botnick. Every Doors release with all cover art, and inserts exactly as orginally released. Only 12,500 copies worldwide. Even includes a mono copy of the first LP as well as a stereo version. Sounds fantastic.

post #206 of 11311
The early Doors albums have fantastic engineering. The contents on albums after the 2nd is suspect, with great stuff here and there, until an incandescent finish with LA Woman.

I don't see the double live album. If it's there, does it have the cuts added in later issues? And there are several live albums released years later.
post #207 of 11311
Thread Starter 
Guilty Pleasure, Madonna, Hard Candy
post #208 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

The early Doors albums have fantastic engineering. The contents on albums after the 2nd is suspect, with great stuff here and there, until an incandescent finish with LA Woman.

I don't see the double live album. If it's there, does it have the cuts added in later issues? And there are several live albums released years later.

The same engineer, Bruce, that engineered the Doors albums in the early days is the exact same person who re-engineered them now. The quality is excellent. In fact, he delayed their release several times because he wasn't satisfied with the end product. The last time by 2 months because he wasn't happy with the colors on one of the covers. The attention to detail is evident. I agree that after the 2nd album the material is inconsistant, but for nostalgia purposes its still nice to have the collection. No, none of the live albums or best of albums were included. Its just the orginal studio albums as shown on the picture. The collection started off being advertised for $145 ended up at $180+, selling on Ebay for close to $200, and is completly sold out at this time. I was lucky to order last September and waited until last week to receive mine. I flirted with not opening them, but the hell with it. I opened the package, partook of a little herb to bring back the feeling of the 60's and listened to them in one sitting. Nirvana.
post #209 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarry View Post

I know what you mean by (Dont have time to listen/watch what I have now.. I also have a lot of cassettes, I remember spending hrs just to record a single 90 min tape from vinyl, they truly would become labors of Love. Let me know how you like d. gilmours dvd. I have Roger Waters (in the flesh) which sounds excellent. Recommended for any PF fan.

'remember that night' dvd showed up in yesterdays' mail but i havent played it yet. very soon, tho!
post #210 of 11311
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

Nice! I listened to a worn (fair condition) LP of the White Album late last week, the music and engineering still shines through!

i dont believe i have ever owned a copy of 'the white album'. ive heard it a few times, i think, but never bought my own copy. i should.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 2 Channel Audio
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › Which Album (CD or Vinyl) Are you listening to now