or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB) › Dish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter - Page 217

post #6481 of 6754
The DTVPal Plus claims to offer a better signal in "weak" signal areas... but I haven't noticed anything compared to my earlier DTVPAL units.

The Plus and it's box will look much like the DTVPAL box but will have a logo decal that says DTVPAL Plus on it...

For most that will be it's only noticeable difference. They act the same in other respects. Same remote... etc.
post #6482 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post

The DTVPal Plus claims to offer a better signal in "weak" signal areas... but I haven't noticed anything compared to my earlier DTVPAL units.

The Plus and it's box will look much like the DTVPAL box but will have a logo decal that says DTVPAL Plus on it...

For most that will be it's only noticeable difference. They act the same in other respects. Same remote... etc.

I got a better signal with the older 101 version of the pal. BUT the 106 version Pal plus. Is less buggy.

everything else is the same
post #6483 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

I too have been looking in vain for the Zenith 901 but could not find one. Most of the K-Marts I checked have the DTV Pal. I am considering it. Is this a good box? I didn't notice if the ones I saw were the DTV Pal Plus or not. Could someone tell me the difference?

I got a Zenith 901 quite a while ago and like it. On the last day the coupons were available I realized I actually have two analog TVs and better get another coupon. So I ordered them. I have until early November to decide. (The first was purchased using a friends coupon.)

Rick R

Has the BEST guide imo
post #6484 of 6754
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will get one.

Rick R
post #6485 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will get one.

Rick R

Here is a picture I found of the guide. The box is quirky though. Freezes once a month or so. Need to unplug or get a strip like i did for my aunt

post #6486 of 6754
hi all... sorry to have not posted recently, and i hope i'm not covering ground that has not already been covered, but i believe i have an answer to how to get this TR-40 ( and derivitives ) to actually work ( in my case )...

i will post this on all TVGOS threads that i'm subscribed to, in hope of conveying to all.

1 - my setup

OTA > TR40 ( using RF channel 3 ouput ) > PANNY DMR-E95 V7 ( analog tuner, analog TVGOS ) > TV....

2 - TR40 programming process

TR40 initialized using regular installation process...

3 - Panny programming process

panny set to Cable NO, Box NO, regular ZIP ( mine is 89052 - las vegas )

4 - sequence of events

shut down panny
wait at least 24 hours ( important... be patient )
panny might get confused... might display ' search for data has failed '
leave the thing alone and let it sit turned off longer
panny clock gets updated when it finds a host channel ( important -
panny has not necessarily figured it all out yet. all it knows is that it
found enough guide data to set its clock... it's still working on stuff )

leave the thing alone some more and wait...
panny then finds its HOST channel AND host identification ( important -
it is NOT just the RF channel, here, but the identification of the
host as well. in my case, it found the host with data on CBS, normally channel 8-1, RF channel 7 ( on the TR40 ), and on RF channel 3 on the
panny.

at this point, the panny has enough to obtain a channel lineup...
wait for the panny to display a lineup grid ( it will indicate NO LISTINGS for everyhing...

here is where the panny gets really confused... in my case, the panny knows where the TVGOS data is coming from... RF channel 3 ( output of TR40 ), AND the CBS affiliate. but in the listing grid lineup, the panny thinks that CBS
( KLAS ) is on its normal channel ( in my case, channel 8 )...

if you leave the panny in this state, you never get a listing update because the panny goes after KLAS, which it thinks is on RF channel 8... after several days, you continue to get no listings due to this, and then finally the panny will give up...

once you have a lineup, it's IMPERATIVE to go into the listing channel lineup and CHANGE the host station to the same channel that the panny uses for its found host channel... in my case, i manually changed KLAS from RF channel 8
to RF channel 3... while i made other changes in the channel editor, i don't
think it's important to make any other changes in the TVGOS channel editor.

the key, here, is that it's not only important to keep the host station turned ON in the channel editor, but to actually assign that station to whatever channel your panny thinks that host station is transmitting on. once the panny has a lineup, it will use whatever channel that lineup says is for the host station. if you have not changed the station in question to the same channel as it originally found TVGOS data on, the panny will get lost and stop working...

so far, i've gone 48 hours, and continue to receive grid updates... i'll report back again to advise if i get a full week's worth of updates...

5 - important notes

1 - success is on my oldest TR40 with F103 firmware. i suspect that it will also work on my newer TR40 ( still F103 ), as well as my DTVPAL+ ( F106 ),
although i have not tested these other boxes all the way through.

2 - these boxes DO have bugs. if the tuner is commanded ( in TVGOS mode )
to go to an unoccupied channel, the boxes will lock up and may not recover without a power down restart. all 3 of my boxes do this. sometimes if i wait long enough, they will once again respond, but i usually just do a power down restart to get them to respond again.

3 - these boxes have some problems with the remote IR receivers. one of my boxes is almost deaf in that i must hold a remote within INCHES of the box for it to respond. another of my boxes is suceptible to spurious IR signals, even from RANDOM light in the room. in my case, this is what causes the box to want to jump out of TVGOS mode. the solution is to COVER the remote
IR detector with BLACK vinyl tape after setup so it becomes DEAF to ambient
light. in this condition, the TR40 will still respond if you hold a remote about 1
inch away from the box.

4 - this setup works properly, if the object of the game is to just get listings
without using the box for anything else. in my case, i just want a week's worth of listings, and i use external stuff for actual reception. in my case, i'm currently mixing the channel 3 TR40 output with the RF distribution output of a dish network SAT receiver ( modulated on channel OTA channel 51 )...

you can do whatever you want as far as the mix is concerned, as long as the TR40 ( on channels 3 or 4 ) is in the clear in the mix, and the panny can receive it without interference from other channels in the mix.

5 - again, the real key to this mess is to update the host station's RF channel
to channel 3 ( or 4 if you are using the TR40 output on channel 4 ) once you get a lineup into the panny's TVGOS system. the panny NEEDS to have what it thinks is its host station synchronized in its channel editor in order for it to get past the lineup and start populating the grid.

sorry for the long post, but i've been going crazy trying to get this thing to work right for over a year now, and it finally came to life...

best regards and good luck....

ron g...
post #6487 of 6754
A post I read last week referring to occassional problems with the Pal Plus dealt with something like the video freezing. I had never had that problem, just the box occassionally not turning on or off, but no problem while watching a program ... until last night. First time since I have had this box that problem occurred.

While watching a program, the picture froze while the audio continued normally. I thought there may have been some problem on the transmitting end or perhaps a neighbor of mine was using her electric blender. Nope. Within 30 seconds the entire picture turned to a beautiful monchromed shade of green with no sound. I hit the "recall" button. Nothing. Tried to power off the box. Nothing.

I unplugged the box, waited about thirty seconds and got a picture back but when I hit the "recall" button, got a gray colored screen with no audio. Couldn't turn the box off either. I unplugged it again, waited a few minutes, and after plugging it back in, saw the "green light" on the box, which after 30 seconds or so turned itself off - for a second and then turned back on with the appearance on screen of the "downloading" page. The box then operated normally.

I surmise that its software may have gotten jammed, plugged up, whatever, which caused its program to stop working until it cleared itself of whatever jam had occurred.

The occurrence was unnerving in that such a problem has NEVER occurred with the Insignia or Zinwell boxes I have. The worse behavior of the Zinwell is that it can lose the audio/video synch at times, and once in awhile the Insignia will go to a station number that I didn't punch in, one that doesn't exist, quickly corrected by selecting up or down a station.
post #6488 of 6754
After over a year of planning (ever since learning analog TVGOS was going away), and after many months of trial and error, I now have my Toshiba 42HP95 TV working with TVGOS again and recording cable channels again. This was thanks to the many great posts in this DTVPal thread, and in the various TVGOS and TV Guide On Screen threads. I would have been happy enough if I could have maintained regular TVGOS clock signals so I could at least manually record to my Toshiba Symbio AVHD (which is firewired to the TV in an integrated approach from Toshiba). But my recent results were far beyond what I had hoped. I now receive the "Verizon FIOS of Seattle, DigitalCableCARD lineup" directly from the DTVPAL, and as a result I can see all of the upcoming FIOS cable programs for the week which allows me to do regular (not manual) recordings. On top of this, since I am using the FIOS Cablecard, I am able to do the recordings in full High Def to the Symbio.

Details of my finally successful configuration are in my post at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17144482
post #6489 of 6754
Wow, for the first time with daily timer, my DTV Pal was frozen with its green power light on. No idea what happened. Maybe having it on only for one hour and ten minutes was not enough?

Also, I lost my timer schedules. Is it normal for DTV Pal to forget/lose them from unplugging power (only unplugged for a few minutes) or something else?
post #6490 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Wow, for the first time with daily timer, my DTV Pal was frozen with its green power light on. No idea what happened. Maybe having it on only for one hour and ten minutes was not enough?

Also, I lost my timer schedules. Is it normal for DTV Pal to forget/lose them from unplugging power (only unplugged for a few minutes) or something else?

fwiw, the video on my TR40 (F105) sometimes freezes....maybe once a month or so.....there seems to be no pattern as to why....sometimes u can see it coming (parts of the pic start to freeze) and changing the channel seems to 'prevent' the freeze....or at least delays it.....unplugging the ac power fixes it....and sometimes it comes back on its own after a few minutes....

and i unplug all my tv related equipment via a power strip switch every night for many hours at a time and i have never lost any TR40 timer settings....
post #6491 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm3839 View Post

fwiw, the video on my TR40 (F105) sometimes freezes....maybe once a month or so.....there seems to be no pattern as to why....sometimes u can see it coming (parts of the pic start to freeze) and changing the channel seems to 'prevent' the freeze....or at least delays it.....unplugging the ac power fixes it....and sometimes it comes back on its own after a few minutes....

and i unplug all my tv related equipment via a power strip switch every night for many hours at a time and i have never lost any TR40 timer settings....

Interesting. And you use it daily? This is not good for me if I have to use it for recording and watching. Grr.
post #6492 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Interesting. And you use it daily? This is not good for me if I have to use it for recording and watching. Grr.

hi phildaant...

here is some technical info i have gleaned during my past year of frustrations with the PAL... i have 2 TR-40s and 1 PAL plus... the TR40s have F103 firmware, and the plus box has F106...

bugs that i know about as follows -

1 - the remote IR receivers in these boxes are unpredictable... 1 of my units is relatively deaf, in that i need to get within inches of the box in order to control it.

the other 2 are OVER-sensitive, in that they respond to random room light and cause havoc with the PAL. in these boxes, while in TVGOS mode, they will suddenly respond to random light and pop up the ' want to cancel tvgos mode ? ' display. while NOT in tvgos mode, these over sensitive boxes usually respond by interpreting the random light as a command to go to ' analog pass-through ' mode...

for these over-sensitive boxes, i put some black vinyl tape over the IR detectors...
this stops the sensitivity problem, but also reduces the range to ' inches ' .. the IR signal from the remote will get through the tape, but the range is bad... since my situation only uses the box as a pure TVGOS listings grabber, i don't need to control the box, so it works for me...

2 - tuner bug... when in TVGOS mode, if the PAL is commanded ( scientific atlanta style, using IR blaster or a universal remote ) to an unoccupied OTA channel, the PAL will do one of 2 things.... it will either get hung up and stop responding to further commands for a while, recovering on its own after anywhere from minutes to hours, or will simply not recover, requiring a power up reset. in cases where the PAL DOES recover after some period of time, it will often truncate remote commands and run them together, producing erroneous commands to the PAL... eg, if it locks up, and you subsequently send more channel commands while it's locked up, when it recovers, it may truncate those subsequent commands into a single command... eg, in locked up condition, if you send a channel 11 command, and then send a channel 07 command, the PAL may truncate these and interpret the 2 commands as a single command for channel 1107...

this bug hinges on the fact that the PAL gets stuck trying to lock onto unoccupied channels.... this bug has been acknowledged by the dish folks, but they have not come up with any fixes...

hope this helps...

rgds,
ron g..
post #6493 of 6754
Thanks Ron. Darn bugs!
post #6494 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg22 View Post

hi all... sorry to have not posted recently, and i hope i'm not covering ground that has not already been covered, but i believe i have an answer to how to get this TR-40 ( and derivitives ) to actually work ( in my case )...

here is where the panny gets really confused... in my case, the panny knows where the TVGOS data is coming from... RF channel 3 ( output of TR40 ), AND the CBS affiliate. but in the listing grid lineup, the panny thinks that CBS
( KLAS ) is on its normal channel ( in my case, channel 8 )...

if you leave the panny in this state, you never get a listing update because the panny goes after KLAS, which it thinks is on RF channel 8... after several days, you continue to get no listings due to this, and then finally the panny will give up...

once you have a lineup, it's IMPERATIVE to go into the listing channel lineup and CHANGE the host station to the same channel that the panny uses for its found host channel... in my case, i manually changed KLAS from RF channel 8
to RF channel 3... while i made other changes in the channel editor, i don't
think it's important to make any other changes in the TVGOS channel editor.

best regards and good luck....

ron g...

I had the same issue but I followed another thread that said to tune the E85H to the new host channel immediately upon initiating TVGOS support so that it does not use the old default, so this is what I did: I reset the E85H and set it up for a cable box (Sci Atl) using the alternate zip code (00002 in LA). Then I initiated TVGOS support from the TR-40. Immediately after that I tuned the E85H to 121, which is CBS, the TVGOS host station, and shut it off. I let the system go overnight and the channel line up came in and the guide started populating up to 8 days with no problems.
post #6495 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucmerick View Post

I had the same issue but I followed another thread that said to tune the E85H to the new host channel immediately upon initiating TVGOS support so that it does not use the old default, so this is what I did: I reset the E85H and set it up for a cable box (Sci Atl) using the alternate zip code (00002 in LA). Then I initiated TVGOS support from the TR-40. Immediately after that I tuned the E85H to 121, which is CBS, the TVGOS host station, and shut it off. I let the system go overnight and the channel line up came in and the guide started populating up to 8 days with no problems.

hi ucmerick

this is probably correct and would work as well, assuming you are using ' cable box yes '

in the case where the panny is NOT set up for cable box yes, the mechanism requires one to update the channel editor AFTER a lineup is received, and BEFORE, the listings get populated.... upon receipt of a lineup in the case of NOT being configured for cable box, the PAL is just feeding data on its RF channel ( in my case ).... so what happens is that the PAL blindly finds a station with clock and TVGOS data, and remembers it until it gets a lineup. after the lineup is received, the panny tvgos software then goes after the host station ( by callsign ) that's in the lineup. it then subsequently tunes the panny's tuner to whatever RF channel is in the lineup. if the host station ( again, by callsign ) is not programmed to utilize ( in my case ) channel 3, the panny just tunes to the assigned RF channel for the host station, whereupon it subsequently never gets anything further... it's a stupid quirk in the TVGOS software, as opposed to the PAL in this case...unless one is lucky enough to be in a market where the host station ' really is ' channel 3, the panny won't be listening to the correct host RF channel... in the case of the PAL, it MUST be channel 3 ( or 4 if you have the PAL feeding data on channel 4 ) ...

rgds..
\\
ron g...
post #6496 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucmerick View Post

I had the same issue but I followed another thread that said to tune the E85H to the new host channel immediately upon initiating TVGOS support so that it does not use the old default, so this is what I did: I reset the E85H and set it up for a cable box (Sci Atl) using the alternate zip code (00002 in LA). Then I initiated TVGOS support from the TR-40. Immediately after that I tuned the E85H to 121, which is CBS, the TVGOS host station, and shut it off. I let the system go overnight and the channel line up came in and the guide started populating up to 8 days with no problems.

correction - i said that the PAL blindly finds a station... i meant the panny... the panny discovers TVGOS data and clock on RF channel 3 and proceeds to sync things up... its next job is to discover a lineup... once it discovers a lineup, the panny will switch to whatever the ' lineup channel ' is, so it needs to be updated to reflect the same thing as where it originally found the early stuff..

rg
post #6497 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Interesting. And you use it daily? This is not good for me if I have to use it for recording and watching. Grr.

yes...i use my TR40 everyday....i didnt mean to imply the video freeze is a major problem for me.... it may happen less often, i was just guessing at once a month....sometimes i wonder if its somehow caused by the particular encoder a station is using or their particular combination of sub-channels, bit rates, etc....in which case u may not have the problem at all....

rkg22 mentioned several remote control problems with his DTVPAL/TR40's...i have no problems with the remote....nothing at all like rkg22 described ....in fact, its by far one of the best remote systems i have ever used....it has a very effective range/power....u can point the remote in virtually any direction and it will almost always respond properly....

i have read in some posts here on AVS that possibly a plasma tv display can cause remote control problems ....i dont have any plasma or lcd tv's here....just tube crt's ...so maybe thats a clue to his problems...
post #6498 of 6754
Weird. I have a daily schedule that goes from 9:45 PM to 10:15 PM, but tonight it didn't turn off at 10:15 PM. It was still on after 12:30 AM!
post #6499 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg22 View Post

...
5 - again, the real key to this mess is to update the host station's RF channel
to channel 3 ( or 4 if you are using the TR40 output on channel 4 ) once you get a lineup into the panny's TVGOS system. the panny NEEDS to have what it thinks is its host station synchronized in its channel editor in order for it to get past the lineup and start populating the grid.

sorry for the long post, but i've been going crazy trying to get this thing to work right for over a year now, and it finally came to life...

(ME TOO!!!)

best regards and good luck....

ron g...

Following Ron's suggestion about this on the TVGOS thread, I finally - after a YEAR of screwing around with the Pal in front of my LG3410a, a digital high-def receiver/recorder that MUST get the TVGOS data from an analog host - started getting data 3 nights ago, after making this change that Ron suggested. (We had quite a little interchange in the TVGOS thread, because I had a hard time understanding what sense it made to make a change ATFER my 3410a had already acquired channel 3 from the Pal as its host channel and already had gotten the clock, grid, and lineup that way!)

So 3 days of data so far..I'm anxiously awaiting the fifth overnight download (at which point I will have a filled grid), hoping that I don't encounter the lockups reported by Jan J in the Chicago area...

Cheers - Tony
post #6500 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Weird. I have a daily schedule that goes from 9:45 PM to 10:15 PM, but tonight it didn't turn off at 10:15 PM. It was still on after 12:30 AM!

I wasn't aware any of the Pals turned themselves off at the end of a scheduled event.

Once they've reached the end of whatever automatic shutoff time you have set, yes, but not at the end of a scheduled event (recording).
post #6501 of 6754
Hi,

I have a Sony DHG-HDD250 and since the digital switch over I cannot get my TVGuide programing. I was told I need to use the DTVPal converter box for couple of nights to get the channel lineup and after that I should be fine.

Would anyone be willing to lend me the DTVPal for 2 or 3 days?

I am in San Francisco and would be happy to pick up the DTVPal and bring it back at your connivence.

Thanks in advance.
Pepe
post #6502 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaopepe View Post

Hi,

I have a Sony DHG-HDD250 and since the digital switch over I cannot get my TVGuide programing. I was told I need to use the DTVPal converter box for couple of nights to get the channel lineup and after that I should be fine.

Would anyone be willing to lend me the DTVPal for 2 or 3 days?

I am in San Francisco and would be happy to pick up the DTVPal and bring it back at your connivence.

Thanks in advance.
Pepe

What the person probably meant was that after the DTVpal was hooked up to your TV for a couple of days, the TV would BEGIN to display guide information, but that does not mean you can just borrow one. The TV needs continuous access to a unit that can provide the analog version of the guide data that the TV needs. If the guide data is important to you, you need to buy a DTVpal or TR40 or find someone willing to give one to you permanently.
post #6503 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

I wasn't aware any of the Pals turned themselves off at the end of a scheduled event.

Once they've reached the end of whatever automatic shutoff time you have set, yes, but not at the end of a scheduled event (recording).

Oh, I thought the end time for each schedule was to turn off DTV Pal. So, what was the point of having the end time then? I must be missing something. I thought its scheduler act like a recorder.

I did notice my DTV Pal was off after 2:00 AM, and I assume that was from the autosleep (default 4 hours).
post #6504 of 6754
Probably for resolving Conflicts between other timers.

Timer 1 will stay on Channel XX for 1 hour before it's free to switch to another.
post #6505 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg22 View Post

correction - i said that the PAL blindly finds a station... i meant the panny... the panny discovers TVGOS data and clock on RF channel 3 and proceeds to sync things up... its next job is to discover a lineup... once it discovers a lineup, the panny will switch to whatever the ' lineup channel ' is, so it needs to be updated to reflect the same thing as where it originally found the early stuff..

rg


With pal TVGOS support, the pal is invisible to the panny. All the panny knows with the cable setup is the 3-digit channel format to tune 'cable' (now digital) channels. It doesn't know any difference between the old analog broadcast signal or the 'new' analog pass-through input signal from the pal. I pass the signal to the panny on L3 but all it is concerned with initially is channel 121 (host) from the setup and subsequently, all the channels that come through on the lineup from the host channel, in my case, (121), 141, 151, 171, 191, 211, 231, 281, 381 and 501(?). Only ten channels appear to be supported (to date). Without cable support, the panny will look for a channel that does not exist, one in the old two-digit format. And even if it found 28 (old analog TVGOS host in LA), it is no longer sending the information. So now it needs to be told the new host. It appears that you remap the new lineup to the old channels, i.e., the new host channel is mapped to the old host channel within the panny so it does 'find' the new digital host on the old analog (default) host channel. This isn't necessary with the method I used.

regards
post #6506 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaopepe View Post

I have a Sony DHG-HDD250 and since the digital switch over I cannot get my TVGuide programing. I was told I need to use the DTVPal converter box for couple of nights to get the channel lineup and after that I should be fine.

I don't have a Sony DVR so I don't keep up with the details, but it's my understanding that it can extract the digital form of guide data directly and does not need it converted to analog. It may need some persuasion and maybe a firmware update. Search the Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread on AVSForum for info on getting digital TVGOS to work.

Edit: There is a firmware update required. Get it here.
post #6507 of 6754
This is strange. Everything appeared to be working great with the DTVPal outputting TVGOS through its RF Output, and without an IR blaster (which I can’t use for my setup that includes cable). By 2 days ago, Saturday night, I had a complete 8 days worth of TV Guide listings. Then yesterday, Sunday, I noticed somehow I had lost almost all of the listings that were already there! (Most shows that already had future listings were gone).

All that remained as of yesterday was up until today’s afternoon listings. So last night I did the DTVPal refresh thing by switching it in TVGOS mode with the Scientific Atlanta codes and a universal remote, away from the host channel and then back to the host channel. Even though I had just done this on Friday which was just two days before. Today the listings have advanced ever so slightly until tomorrow, Tuesday morning, but nothing after that for the rest of the 8 days (It repeatedly says “No Listing”). At this rate, the full listings will never come back! I had this funny feeling that everything was going too well and problems would arise, and I guess I was right. I will try the refresh thing every day and see if that helps.

Anyone else see this kind of behavior before, where the existing TV Guide listings start disappearing?
post #6508 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post

I don't have a Sony DVR so I don't keep up with the details, but it's my understanding that it can extract the digital form of guide data directly and does not need it converted to analog. It may need some persuasion and maybe a firmware update. Search the Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread on AVSForum for info on getting digital TVGOS to work.

Edit: There is a firmware update required. Get it here.

Thank you for the info. I have done the upgrade, and I am following the Sony thread. All I need is to get the initial channel lineup. After that the Sony upgrade will work.

Thanks.
post #6509 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

What the person probably meant was that after the DTVpal was hooked up to your TV for a couple of days, the TV would BEGIN to display guide information, but that does not mean you can just borrow one. The TV needs continuous access to a unit that can provide the analog version of the guide data that the TV needs. If the guide data is important to you, you need to buy a DTVpal or TR40 or find someone willing to give one to you permanently.

Thanks for your help. The Sony upgrade can get the data once the initial channel lineup is loaded. That's why I need to get the DTVPal only for couple of nights.

This is the advance I'm getting from the Sony thread.
post #6510 of 6754
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemark View Post

This is strange. Everything appeared to be working great with the DTVPal outputting TVGOS through its RF Output, and without an IR blaster (which I can’t use for my setup that includes cable). By 2 days ago, Saturday night, I had a complete 8 days worth of TV Guide listings. Then yesterday, Sunday, I noticed somehow I had lost almost all of the listings that were already there! (Most shows that already had future listings were gone).

All that remained as of yesterday was up until today’s afternoon listings. So last night I did the DTVPal refresh thing by switching it in TVGOS mode with the Scientific Atlanta codes and a universal remote, away from the host channel and then back to the host channel. Even though I had just done this on Friday which was just two days before. Today the listings have advanced ever so slightly until tomorrow, Tuesday morning, but nothing after that for the rest of the 8 days (It repeatedly says “No Listing”). At this rate, the full listings will never come back! I had this funny feeling that everything was going too well and problems would arise, and I guess I was right. I will try the refresh thing every day and see if that helps.

Anyone else see this kind of behavior before, where the existing TV Guide listings start disappearing?

Yikes! After sitting over night, when I turned on the TV this morning again there was only the next 21 hours of listings (this time till tomorrow at 4:30 am). No more data after that. This 21 hour period shifts each night when the TV is off. I can't imagine what is going on, particularly since I had the whole week that disappeared one day. I have no idea what to do now to get the complete week of listings back.


Update. It's now 7 hours since I wrote the above, and the TV has been off until now, 1:20 pm. The listings have shifted. Now I have till 11:30 am tomorrow. It will never catch up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB) › Dish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter