or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Denon DVD3800BDCI Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon DVD3800BDCI Owner's Thread - Page 7

post #181 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo913 View Post

When I looked at the manual I didn't see anything specific to BD Video Adjustments. What page in the manual was that on?

Thanks...Angelo

Question 10 is referring to the video adjustment settings listed on page 24 of the manual.

That manual page does NOT carry the tag indicating it applies to BD playback, but there was reason to believe that was a typo, and as I understand we've had a poster here confirm that these settings DO alter BD imaging.

If that's not correct, or if only SOME of the settings alter BD imaging, let me know and I'll go back and correct the ANSWERS post on page 6.
--Bob
post #182 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Question 10 is referring to the video adjustment settings listed on page 24 of the manual.

That manual page does NOT carry the tag indicating it applies to BD playback, but there was reason to believe that was a typo, and as I understand we've had a poster here confirm that these settings DO alter BD imaging.

If that's not correct, or if only SOME of the settings alter BD imaging, let me know and I'll go back and correct the ANSWERS post on page 6.
--Bob

That's good news if it was confirmed by an end user. The XA2 lets me do picture adjustments to HD DVD footage with Reon VX which are great for fine tuning the PQ.

Edit: Took another look at page 24 and it does only specify DVD-V, DVD-VR and DivX. But if it's confirmed that BD-V has the same picture controls, that's good news.

Thanks...Angelo
post #183 of 6642
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

RBFC,
Based on the confirmation of your settings for PCM and DTS-HD MA, I've updated my ANSWERS list on page 6 to reflect that DTS-HD HR output as analog appears to render only the max 5.1 "core" DTS track.

Still waiting on Dolby Plus testing and on HDMI testing for DTS-HD HR.
--Bob

From reading the manual, it appears that those codecs may be available from bitstream for receiver decoding. Of course, you can't have the "MIX AUDIO" option selected.

I can't confirm this with my setup.

Lee
post #184 of 6642
Thread Starter 
I was able to switch on the NR settings during BD playback. I haven't had time yet to view each option to comment on effect, though. Another report to follow........

Lee
post #185 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

In addition to the subjective picture/audio quality evaluations, there are specific objective questions that have been raised, some from the review of the manual. Perhaps some of the folks with units can help knock these down:

==== DENON 3800 Q/A =============

1) Forced 1080p/24 mode for aid with certain displays? ANSWERED: NO

1a) Conversion of 480i/60 standard DVDs with film-based content to 1080p/24 output? ANSWERED: NO

2) Ability to have analog video output along with HDMI 1080p/24 output? ANSWERED: NO

3) HDMI 480i output for standard DVDs without clipping of Blacker than Black or Peak White data?

3a) Any method discovered to set the player to automatically switch to HDMI 480i output when playing a standard DVD disc?

3b) Any other issues with correctness/performance of standard DVD playback? ANSWERED: NONE NOTED SO FAR; UPSCALING APPEARS EXCEPTIONAL

4) Playback of DTS-HD HR tracks over HDMI at full resolution (either decoded to PCM or bitstreamed -- test both) instead of getting the "core" audio track as the manual implies?

5) Playback of Dolby Digital Plus tracks over HDMI at full resolution (either decoded to PCM or bitstreamed -- test both) instead of getting the "associated" audio track as the manual implies?

6) & 7) Same as (4) and (5) for the analog audio outputs, which may yield different answers as the manual is silent on this? ANSWER SO FAR: DTS-HD HR OUTPUT AS ANALOG APPEARS TO RENDER ONLY THE 5.1 "CORE" DTS TRACK. NO WORD ON DOLBY PLUS YET.

8) Playback of DTS-HD MA tracks over HDMI at full resolution (either decoded to PCM or bitstreamed) or over analog outputs at full resolution? ANSWERED: APPEARS TO BE WORKING AT BEST QUALITY EITHER WAY FOR HDMI AND ALSO FOR ANALOG.

9) Presence of any low LFE bug?

10) Video adjustments (including Gamma) and noise reduction applicable to BD playback? ANSWERED: YES

11) Playback of BD in Mix Audio mode (which will force PCM output if using HDMI) mixes the secondary audio with the full quality primary audio track or with only the "core" or "associated" primary audio track?

11a) Same as (11) for analog audio output?

12) Noticeable layer change delay during standard DVD playback? ANSWERED: YES, ABOUT 1/2 SECOND.

13) Blu-Ray playback at COMPONENT 1080i or 1080p for BD discs that allow it?

13a) Simultaneous HDMI and Component Blu-Ray playback for BD discs that allow it (See Question (2) for the specific case of HDMI 1080p/24 mode)?

=============================

Let me know if I need to correct any of the ANSWERED items and I'll edit this post. I'll also try to collect new answers here as they come in. Please be aware that early answers may turn out later to be incorrect simply due to the difficulty of testing some of this stuff properly.

I'll also try to collect other key questions here as I spot them.
--Bob

Bob, who confirmed the lack of forced 1080p/24?
post #186 of 6642
anybody looking for a denon 3800 i was just at value electronics and he had 3 in stock
http://www.*********************/
i wish i knew i could of had one today mine is coming monday
hey joerod ... robert and wendy say hi
post #187 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Bob, who confirmed the lack of forced 1080p/24?

We had a report in this thread from a user who mistakenly set his display into a mode that would not accept 1080p/24. When he tried to specify that as output from the 3800 the option was grayed out.

When he fixed the setting in his display the option in the 3800 became available.

The conclusion is that if the display does not tell the 3800 it accepts 1080p/24 then there is no way to select 1080p/24 in the 3800 and force that as output.

Give me a second and I'll see if I can find the post. OK here it is, RBFC's post that started this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...36&postcount=1

--Bob
post #188 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post

I was able to switch on the NR settings during BD playback. I haven't had time yet to view each option to comment on effect, though. Another report to follow........

Lee

I've updated the ANSWERS post on page 6 to reflect that only Noise Reduction has been confirmed so far as a video setting altering BD playback.
--Bob
post #189 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post

From reading the manual, it appears that those codecs may be available from bitstream for receiver decoding. Of course, you can't have the "MIX AUDIO" option selected.

I can't confirm this with my setup.

Lee

Yeah. The manual only calls this out for HDMI PCM output (which we still need to confirm). And you've now confirmed it for ANALOG output (where the manual is silent). The manual is also silent, as best I can tell, regarding HDMI BITSTREAM of DTS-HD HR and Dolby Digital Plus. The relevant items in the table on page 11 don't carry Notes 2 or 3, but I think they only formatted for one Note per item so I don't think we can be sure yet since those items are carrying Note 1 already.
--Bob
post #190 of 6642
Thread Starter 
The manual states nothing about analog outputs for almost every subject.... only how to set it up to play multichannel.

Lee
post #191 of 6642
many thanks ! this player is great !! bye
post #192 of 6642
Thread Starter 
The drawer opens in 8-10 seconds via remote, a bit faster when the front panel button is pushed. THIS IS WITH THE PLAYER ALREADY ON.

Lee
post #193 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post

The drawer opens in 8-10 seconds via remote, a bit faster when the front panel button is pushed.

Lee


Is this with the player off and you press OPEN? or already on?

I assume its when its already on, if so, what is hte time from off, to tray opens when its off?

Thanks
post #194 of 6642
Thread stuck, enjoy your awesome players guys
post #195 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

To officially test the LFE instead of guessing...

-Using HDMI put in a copy of DVE(not AVIA).
-Set the player to bitstream I think its called normal mode.
-Run the speaker level check. You dont have to change anything, just observe what the front left speaker is and the sub(LFE) output is. And make a note of the settings.
-Next, stop player and change the setting from above normal mode to LPCM mode(something like that).
-Press play(you should be at the same test). Match volume for the left speaker from what the original test was and than see if the LFE channel is the same as before.
-If it dipped -5 it has the bug, if not your good to go!


I would also just like some confirmation from actual measurements instead of guessing. More than likely, the LFE bug is not present, but considering the 2500 had the issue it is certainly not out of the question. This is a quick test if somebody who has this model would do it and would get this concern out of the way.
post #196 of 6642
I just finished watching 300 in Dolby HD. Wow!

I posted previously I couldn't get player to give me 1080p24 in the setup hooked to a Denon 4308, but when I go to Info in 4308 it is showing Resolution as 1080p24>1080p24. I guess it's passing it but not selectable?

Am I losing some PQ going through the receiver? I've got I/P Scaler turned off for this source so it should just be pass through? The only thing I may miss is the ability to tweek the picture for a seperate input on the monitor which may allow me to really make it pop even more

Anyway I couldn't be happier. Anyone seen Michael Clayton on BD yet? I'm watching it next!
post #197 of 6642
Anyone know the Best Buy SKU# for the 3800?
Thanks
post #198 of 6642
Did anyone successfully purchase one of these from 6 Ave? They wanted 20% downpayment with no clue when it was coming in. I would have done it if the Denon decoded everything but that no longer seems to be the case. It being profile 1.1 no longer bothers me since I can always use the PS3 for 2.0 features.
post #199 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post

The drawer opens in 8-10 seconds via remote, a bit faster when the front panel button is pushed. THIS IS WITH THE PLAYER ALREADY ON.

Lee

Good to know. This seems to be in line with the rest of the Denon DVD lineup. Thanks, Lee!
post #200 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschaen View Post

anybody looking for a denon 3800 i was just at value electronics and he had 3 in stock
http://www.*********************/
i wish i knew i could of had one today mine is coming monday
hey joerod ... robert and wendy say hi

Will be glad to sell mine, opened two days ago
post #201 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsguy View Post

Will be glad to sell mine, opened two days ago

Why do you want to sell it?
post #202 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

In all honesty I don't buy titles anymore unless they contain Masters,Tru or PCM. Plus and high resolution are pointless in my opinion.
However, 2K for a player should decode everything.

This really surprises me. DD+ and DTS HD HR can sound really excellent. I expect that many can't really hear that much of a difference between HR and MA.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy a movie I really like that only had DD+ or HR. I would think that most movie lovers would agree.
post #203 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley View Post

This really surprises me. DD+ and DTS HD HR can sound really excellent. I expect that many can't really hear that much of a difference between HR and MA.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy a movie I really like that only had DD+ or HR. I would think that most movie lovers would agree.

I guess I just feel cheated.
Regardless, I haven't seen any releases lately using those.
post #204 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsguy View Post

Will be glad to sell mine, opened two days ago

What city do you live in? Feel free to send me a PM.
post #205 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I've updated the ANSWERS post on page 6 to reflect that only Noise Reduction has been confirmed so far as a video setting altering BD playback.
--Bob


As I stated in my original post. The 3800 DOES have complete picture settings available during BD playback. Press the MODE button on the remopte and you will have access to Brightness, contrast, White/Black level, a very detailed Gamma adjustment, IRE setting, sharpness and more.
post #206 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

I guess I just feel cheated.
Regardless, I haven't seen any releases lately using those.

No DTS-HR is a serious bummer (Reservoir Dogs anyone?)....DD+ ain't.
I am not aware of any BD DD+ out there, but that could change when the formally HD-DUD studios start releasing BDs....
post #207 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

No DTS-HR is a serious bummer (Reservoir Dogs anyone?)....DD+ ain't.
I am not aware of any BD DD+ out there, but that could change when the formally HD-DUD studios start releasing BDs....

I think the only BD DD+ disk I can remeber is the Planet Earth series.
post #208 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley View Post

This really surprises me. DD+ and DTS HD HR can sound really excellent. I expect that many can't really hear that much of a difference between HR and MA.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy a movie I really like that only had DD+ or HR. I would think that most movie lovers would agree.

+1

One of the best soundtracks I've heard all year comes from the Transformers HD-DVD and its DD+ soundtrack. Once Paramount shifts fully into "BD gear", it will most likely be the same soundtrack on Blu-ray since there's no news of a TrueHD track for the new release. Of course the DD+ implementation is slightly different b/w BD and HD-DVD so there's no ruling out a TrueHD or PCM track either.
post #209 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

+1

One of the best soundtracks I've heard all year comes from the Transformers HD-DVD and its DD+ soundtrack. Once Paramount shifts fully into "BD gear", it will most likely be the same soundtrack on Blu-ray since there's no news of a TrueHD track for the new release. Of course the DD+ implementation is slightly different b/w BD and HD-DVD so there's no ruling out a TrueHD or PCM track either.

Not to mention the greater storage capacity of the Blu-ray format.

Mark
post #210 of 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

And I just love how all the NON owners here are starting question posts about the 3800.

What were you expecting?

Quote:


Most of the owners are to busy enjoying their new unit.

joerod, I see many owners post that their unit just arrives, or they are in the middle of setting it up, etc. When I read these posts, I'm always curious as to why the owner is posting instead of setting up and enjoying his new piece of equipment.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Denon DVD3800BDCI Owner's Thread