or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic TC-37LZ85
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic TC-37LZ85 - Page 2

post #31 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew75 View Post

Maybe i should have been clearer, I was just dissapointed with the TV. I had high expectations for it, and it looked like something that should have come out last spring instead of this one. The blacks were okay, they just didn't have the definition that some of the other tvs had.

Haven't seen the 32 inch model yet, we have no room to display it at work.

Hmmm well you said earlier "it had very poor contrast" and you didn't back it up with any reason. Now, your new post is a vague as the first one. I'm sorry but "it looked like last years models" does not explain anything... Can ANYONE explain what the results of a poor contrast ratio would be? I had a question about contrast a few posts above.
post #32 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsocks View Post

Hmmm well you said earlier "it had very poor contrast" and you didn't back it up with any reason. Now, your new post is a vague as the first one. I'm sorry but "it looked like last years models" does not explain anything... Can ANYONE explain what the results of a poor contrast ratio would be? I had a question about contrast a few posts above.

Just for the record, "poor contrast ratio" is not near to how the TV looks. One shouldn't look at the dynamic contrast ratio values, that's BS, but how the actual image is shown.

For me, panasonic sets have been for the last years, with philips and sony, the ones with better PQ in the market. Maybe blacks in the ips-alpha are not as deep as in the sony ones, but the panel has other advantadges, and certainly it doesn't meen at all that the contrast ratio is "poor".

Panasonic seems to be more "accurate" with their "contrast ratio calculation" than other brands. I bought last year a samsung R86 and then had it exchanged for a panny LX70, and while the dynamic contrast ratio were similar, once I got rid of "nuclear mode" on both of them, the panny had a terrifying superior PQ, with a richer and crisper image, besides of a HUGE difference on motion handling, being the panny also much better.

So for me, I'll trust my eyes, not the BS numbers. And of course, I've seen on the store a 37LZD85 and it looks phenomenal, not plasma blacks, but not "poor" contrast ratio either. Excellent PQ, excellent colors, excellent SD and motion handling, no motion blur, 1080p and 24fps playback.
post #33 of 117
LX70 did employ advanced motion handling. (100Hz panel?)

Samsung has had some picture quality breakthroughs since then regarding black levels and motion handling. Their newer units perform well for LCD...
post #34 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Hiller View Post

LX70 did employ advanced motion handling. (100Hz panel?)

Samsung has had some picture quality breakthroughs since then regarding black levels and motion handling. Their newer units perform well for LCD...

LX70 had 100Hz panel, as well as LZ85. Motion handling on LX70 was superb, and LZ85 motion handling is even better.

Of course samsung models have improved. I'm only saying that the sammy R86 stated 7000:1 of contrast ratio, 179 degrees of viewing angle, 8ms of response time while panny LX70 had 8500:1 of contrast ratio, 179 degrees of viewing angle and 8ms of response time.

Based on numbers R86 was almost equal to LX70, while the actual difference was HUGE. LX70 with the same numbers had an atonishingly better motion handling, MUCH WIDER view angle, MUCH BETTER picture quality and REAL contrast was SUPERB compared with the samsung set.


I'm not saying LZ85 is better than samsung sets, I'm only saying that based on my experience, numbers are ********, and I rely more on panasonic BS than in others' BS.
post #35 of 117
I was interested in this set since I have a 2 year old Viera 720p. Saw this set side by side with a Samsung and a Sharp LC37D62U and the Viera's color and contrast seemed fine. From a distance of 8-10 feet I did notice that there was more pixelation during acton scenes than the other two machines, but otherwise the pictures seemed comparable. But from about 2-3 feet away I saw ghosting and what looked like moire patterns that were not on the other two machines.
post #36 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DShue View Post

I was interested in this set since I have a 2 year old Viera 720p. Saw this set side by side with a Samsung and a Sharp LC37D62U and the Viera's color and contrast seemed fine. From a distance of 8-10 feet I did notice that there was more pixelation during acton scenes than the other two machines, but otherwise the pictures seemed comparable. But from about 2-3 feet away I saw ghosting and what looked like moire patterns that were not on the other two machines.

Pixelation sounds more like compression in the source or something...
post #37 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DShue View Post

I was interested in this set since I have a 2 year old Viera 720p. Saw this set side by side with a Samsung and a Sharp LC37D62U and the Viera's color and contrast seemed fine. From a distance of 8-10 feet I did notice that there was more pixelation during acton scenes than the other two machines, but otherwise the pictures seemed comparable. But from about 2-3 feet away I saw ghosting and what looked like moire patterns that were not on the other two machines.

I saw it yesterday side by side with a samsung and an LG sets, and it looked better imo. With SD sources the motion handling of the panny was much better, and also was clearer. I didn't saw any pixelation btw.

Maybe the pixelation you notice is because of better motion resolution. Compression artifacts from the crappy sources are not blurred, so the image appears clearer, so if the source is bad... it appears pixelated.

It's not easy to find motion blur on this set anyways. It's there, but unless you have an appropiate test, such a 60fps shooter looking at a wall flyer and moving from left to right, or something like that, it's difficult to distinguish between motion blur of the tv and motion blur of the source.
post #38 of 117
The people at the store told me the source was coming off a server. What I was watching was I, Robot.
post #39 of 117
I haven't yet found a store that has these sets in, at which stores are you all seeing them? Best Buy has them online only, and I was told that none of the stores have them on order. Fry's told me they didn't know anything about them yet. I'm anxious to check this set out, thanks for any help!
post #40 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemshake View Post

I haven't yet found a store that has these sets in, at which stores are you all seeing them? Best Buy has them online only, and I was told that none of the stores have them on order. Fry's told me they didn't know anything about them yet. I'm anxious to check this set out, thanks for any help!

The one I saw was at a Fry's in Sunnyvale, CA.
post #41 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviii View Post

Just for the record, "poor contrast ratio" is not near to how the TV looks. One shouldn't look at the dynamic contrast ratio values, that's BS, but how the actual image is shown.

For me, panasonic sets have been for the last years, with philips and sony, the ones with better PQ in the market. Maybe blacks in the ips-alpha are not as deep as in the sony ones, but the panel has other advantadges, and certainly it doesn't meen at all that the contrast ratio is "poor".

Panasonic seems to be more "accurate" with their "contrast ratio calculation" than other brands. I bought last year a samsung R86 and then had it exchanged for a panny LX70, and while the dynamic contrast ratio were similar, once I got rid of "nuclear mode" on both of them, the panny had a terrifying superior PQ, with a richer and crisper image, besides of a HUGE difference on motion handling, being the panny also much better.

So for me, I'll trust my eyes, not the BS numbers. And of course, I've seen on the store a 37LZD85 and it looks phenomenal, not plasma blacks, but not "poor" contrast ratio either. Excellent PQ, excellent colors, excellent SD and motion handling, no motion blur, 1080p and 24fps playback.


I saw the 32" Panny set at BB and it looked really good... it did have some grain in it but I suppose that could have been the signal. I bough a 37lg50 and the viewing angle is AWFUL. So I'm going to wait for BB to get the 37" Panny in stock and get rid of the LG. Anyway thanks for the info.
post #42 of 117
I finally got the 37LZ85 and so far I really like it a lot. The viewing angles are awesome, far better than the viewing angles on the 37LG50. Actually, I would say the LG panel is a big mess. The Panny panel has viewing angles like a CRT monitor. One odd thing though, Panasonic says this set has a 3D Y/C filter but I can't turn it on. Hmmm not sure what that is about.
post #43 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsocks View Post

I finally got the 37LZ85 and so far I really like it a lot. The viewing angles are awesome, far better than the viewing angles on the 37LG50. Actually, I would say the LG panel is a big mess. The Panny panel has viewing angles like a CRT monitor. One odd thing though, Panasonic says this set has a 3D Y/C filter but I can't turn it on. Hmmm not sure what that is about.

How is the glare on this set? I have heard the LZ800's have the same screen type and glare is unbearable even with little lighting.
post #44 of 117
I show stock from some 32LZ800...Now signs of stock on the 37LZ800 or 85U....

Chris
post #45 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz View Post

How is the glare on this set? I have heard the LZ800's have the same screen type and glare is unbearable even with little lighting.

I haven't noticed any glaring... The panel is great, but I do notice a lot of "mosquito noise" (i think its called) during blu-ray play back... I'm not sure how to reduce it, but it looks a lot like this picture on this link. I'm not sure if MPEG noise reduction fixed that, but panasonic removes that option on the HDMI connection.. Any suggestions? http://i.cmpnet.com/videsignline/200...olith-fig4.jpg
post #46 of 117
Yes its an IPS-Alpha panel and has incredible black levels, viewing angles and contrast etc etc....still kicks Sony's and Sammys S-PVA butt too. But Where is the processing?? Panasonic dropped the V-Real 2 on the US Lz800 when in europe they get V-Real 3 and 120hz on their Lz85 and Lz800??. Why am i seing mosquito noise on the Lz85 series???. I'm getting my 37Lz800 tommorrow and hope it does better than my old 32Lx700 with V-real 2 and motion Picture Pro. Updates on the way.
post #47 of 117
So can anyone with this set get some pics?
post #48 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Supra View Post

So can anyone with this set get some pics?

I agree! Need pics!
post #49 of 117
bump !!

anyone have this TV ????

its a cheap and great 1080p HDTV
post #50 of 117
I just bought it, I'm searching for some config data
post #51 of 117
Hey, let us know what you think of the TV. If possible would it be possible to connect a computer via HDMI?
post #52 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by envydd View Post

Hey, let us know what you think of the TV. If possible would it be possible to connect a computer via HDMI?

Yes Please!

And while your at it, go out and get the 37LZ800 so you can do side-by-side comparisons complete with pictures

But seriously, does anyone have any further thoughts on the LZ85 vs the LZ800 as a PC monitor (will be using as a HTPC)?
post #53 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF View Post

Yes its an IPS-Alpha panel and has incredible black levels, viewing angles and contrast etc etc....still kicks Sony's and Sammys S-PVA butt too. But Where is the processing?? Panasonic dropped the V-Real 2 on the US Lz800 when in europe they get V-Real 3 and 120hz on their Lz85 and Lz800??. Why am i seing mosquito noise on the Lz85 series???. I'm getting my 37Lz800 tommorrow and hope it does better than my old 32Lx700 with V-real 2 and motion Picture Pro. Updates on the way.

Well? Did you get the 37LZ800? Would you mind sharing what you think of it after hyping the IPS panel so much? Did it live up to your expectations?

Also how you connected it to a PC through HDMI?
post #54 of 117
I've spent a few hours in front of my LZ85 and I'm very happy with it. (Bear in mind these opinions are coming from a total noob to HT... I've read plenty but don't have much experience). I found the blacks to be very good (like a 4 out of 5) -- obvious difference vs. plasma but better than other sets in the price range. I was not able to side-by-side the LZ85 with an LZ800, but I did get to put it next to a 37" A550 -- which is what convinced me to get the LZ85. I'd read that the smaller A550s had slightly worse specs than their larger brethren, and I looked at a 46" (I believe) A550 next to the LZ85 which did have obvious visual performance advantages.

I haven't hooked up my PC to the LZ85, I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with a VGA->HDMI conversion to do so.

My set has even blacks (I turned off the lights and looked at it from an angle) and no banding that I've noticed yet. I still need to fiddle with the settings (honestly, I'm not even sure what I'm looking for it to look like ), but I'll report back after I do so.

I just made this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1040407 to hopefully compile good info on the LZ85/LZ800, including a comparison between the two.
post #55 of 117
Agree with Diabol1K!
post #56 of 117
Can anyone tell me if you can get 1080p over component?
post #57 of 117
post #58 of 117
I just had this set delivered today. Comcast is coming out tomorrow with the HD/DVR box. I bought the HDMI cable, hopefully the Comcast guy knows what to do with it. This is my second HDTV. My first, bought 3.5 years ago, was a Sammy 4663 DLP. I have to say that I have been very happy with that set.
post #59 of 117
Mine was just delivered today. Absolutely amazing picture.

If there is a black level weakness in this set, I sure can't see it. From where I'm sitting, if I have the format set so it doesn't cover the whole screen, I can barely tell where the black plastic frame ends with the dark border on the screen unless I look really hard, it's that black. Also no problem at all with hum or buzz or whatever I saw one person having problems with. Mine is dead quiet unless I get behind the screen with my ear right up at the vents in back. It may be a matter of getting a good one.

One of the reasons I started looking at the Panny LCD sets was because of good reports of usable picture quality with even standard analog signals (I have old tapes I'll want to still be able to watch). And it's true, I can't really say the analog picure on the TC-37LZ85 appears degraded from what I had on a CRT screen, the picture is just bigger. At a distance where the picture seems about as large as the CRT, it looks as good to me. Maybe I'm not as picky as some (?) but the picture I'm getting puts to shame the Sony and Samsung sets I've seen when they try to display older media.

I can see I'm going to be spending a lot of time with this one, a good choice. I only wish it had a PC input connector.
post #60 of 117
I just got the 37lz85 yesterday. It's my first HDTV and so far I'm really impressed with the picture quality. PS3 games and HD trailers look incredible - SD looks good too. (I'm getting my HD cable box on Sunday)

I don't notice any glare on the screen itself but the shiny bezel does reflect a bit of light. The viewing angles are excellent, even better than my NEC 20WMGX2 monitor (AS-IPS panel).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic TC-37LZ85