or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Wyred 4 Sound Amp Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Wyred 4 Sound Amp Thread - Page 48

post #1411 of 1583
^^^

Two weeks ago I installed a pair of SX-500s with my Songtowers RT. I can honestly say that they have made a difference in my room. The Sx-500s are exceptional for the value. I tried them knowing that if they didn't perform to what I had expected no regrets. I am running all separates with an STP-se and SSP. Next another SX-500 for the center and the ST-250 for the rears.
post #1412 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

I am in a similar situation... I am currently running an sc35 and I think I am not getting great sound out of it at or near max levels. I love ice and the blackness of it's floor so a pair of sx500's was my next choice. I will be curious if you could post a review when you get them in.

I also like the silence of the Pioneer but have little issue with the Ice amp sound if you will. My primary concern was the pre-out voltage of the Pioneer not being able to drive the Wyreds sufficiently. I'm happy to report that there aren't any matters that are of concern other than I suspect that I am not able to bring the Wyreds to full power....as though I need that. I know that my trim levels set by MCACC have further reduced the amount of volume I can obtain yet the trim level for my center, which is still connected to the receiver, was set to within -1db of the Wyred powered mains which is exactly the same offset I was getting when using the 07's amp section. So I'll take that as some sort of synergy.
As far as the sound, so far I can't say that I notice much change. Perhaps the midbass shows up with a little more authority though I'm crossed at 80hz so the changes in bass performance seem subtle. The highs.... veiled?, slightly rolled off in comparison?, the detail is there like the Pio but perhaps less digital in nature, I dunno. It's early yet with only a few hours on my new amps.
So, I guess if you are not satisfied with your present sound you might want to look elsewhere. I would look to something other than swapping amps if you are looking for a major difference. That is unless you need to have more power. I would suggest changes in speaker placement or perhaps even replacement. Room treatments can make a huge difference and I would be spending my money there first if possible. After those I guess DACs; preamps; source components and so forth will offer more change than a new amp.
post #1413 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbob View Post

Well I sucked it up and ordered a pair of SX-500s last night and now the monetary post-partums have begun as I await their arrival. You see, my thoughts are running toward the notion that my new amps may be a somewhat lateral move.

My current setup (6.1) is being driven by an Elite SC-07 receiver which will be my pre for sometime but the plan is to go to a HT bypass setup down the road, which is another justification for this move. I am not at all disappointed with the current sound, I'm just hoping that there is much more in store than just the additional wattage of the Wyreds. I'm curious to know if anyone has compared the sound or is using a similar setup?

The Wyreds will be driving my Salk Songtower RTs.
Who knows, if this works out maybe my Songcenter will get one too.

I am in a similar situation have an SC-07 as well running a pair of AAD 2001 now and am considering adding the W4S ST-250 but am not sure if it will be an upgrade.

The other alternative is to use this amp with my Decco as a Preamp

Thoughts and opinions appreciated
post #1414 of 1583
If I did go with wyred for amplification, I would be controlling them with a Emotiva Pre Amp, not the Pioneer using pre outs.

I would probably keep the Sc35 for HT work though.
post #1415 of 1583
I have the MC3 (570 wpc) purchased new and just picked up the 5 channel mini (used from ebay, but mint condition), and I am really sold on these amps for home theater. Since I made the move to separates in 2004, I've owned in exact order Rotel 1080/1095, Earthquake, Nuforce Ref 9, Bryston 6BSST, Lexicon Zx7, Classe M300 and Theta dreadnaught. And maybe its other variables, but the Wyred amps I own make movies sound noticeably better actually fantastic -- clean, dynamic, zero noise, no hum from either the unit or my speakers which would always have a slight hum/buzz from ALL the other amps, and no heat. They also don't weight over 100 lbs like some of my previous amps. Can't say enough about them especially for the price, the amount of wattage/power you get for the price makes these amps a no brainer- its really taken my home theater experience to a new level.
post #1416 of 1583
Hello Adz,
can/wil you test the differences between the MC3 and the 5 ch mini.
Jerry
post #1417 of 1583
Hi Jerry, I wasn't planning to, but I can certainly try. I did compare the mini 5 to the Theta (which was the Intrepid not the Dreadnaught) and the mini 5 was beyond noticeably better.
post #1418 of 1583
I compared the Mini-5 and ST-500, they sound very similar.
post #1419 of 1583
Adz,
Only if you have the time for it.
The main question is the powerdifferences - to drive low sensitive speakers like maggies who like a lot of watts.
Jerry
post #1420 of 1583
Can anyone comment on the 2ch (for music) capabilities of the MMC5? Of course this amp would be used for HT as well. Trying to convince myself that this one box will be great for both and that I don't need to get an ST-500 + MMC3.
post #1421 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcss View Post

Can anyone comment on the 2ch (for music) capabilities of the MMC5? Of course this amp would be used for HT as well. Trying to convince myself that this one box will be great for both and that I don't need to get an ST-500 + MMC3.

I had a ST-500 and picked up a mini MC5 for HT. But after using the MMC5 for both 2 channel and HT for a few weeks, I sold the ST-500 without any regrets.
post #1422 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 View Post


I had a ST-500 and picked up a mini MC5 for HT. But after using the MMC5 for both 2 channel and HT for a few weeks, I sold the ST-500 without any regrets.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #1423 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcss View Post

Can anyone comment on the 2ch (for music) capabilities of the MMC5? Of course this amp would be used for HT as well. Trying to convince myself that this one box will be great for both and that I don't need to get an ST-500 + MMC3.

Hi

I have the mmc7 to bi-amp my front speaker and for me it is great (but I don't have a lot of experience).

I take it to test it on a friend's system that have a Perreaux E1 (stereo amp)... First on mono-amp it was (a little bit) less than the perreaux but with bi-amp it was better....
post #1424 of 1583
While I'm sorry to move on considering how great they sound, I do have my W4S amps up for sale here - two SX-1000 and one SX-500 mono blocks, and a 5 channel MINI MC, all in black, all MK II versions)

Any questions, please PM me.

Thanks
post #1425 of 1583
I've been researching amps to power a new speaker purchase from Philharmonic Audio, 87.5db sensitivity & 4 ohms. On my list is Parasound Halo, Anthem and Bryston, but after reading this thread and about everything else I can find on Wyred 4 Sound the Mini MC5 is now on the list and moving up quickly.

Since I am going through a complete HT replacement after remodeling my room, I'm hoping for a 25% off Memorial Day special
post #1426 of 1583
I am curious. I would like to run 2 center channels from my 5 channel W4S amp. I only have one center out from my Pioneer SC57 AVR that is used as a pre/pro. Should I put 2 speaker wires into the same center channel out on my W4S amp or is there a better solution?

Thanks!
post #1427 of 1583
need a bit of help about an upgrade. in my main room have a Marantz sr7005 with a musical fidelity a5 with HT pass though powering the main dali ikon 7's, the marantz handles the ikon vokal 2 . and 3- 8 inch in ceiling speakercraft speakers. there is a bd7006, and a sonos connected to a ps audio dac, we use this room for 80% HT. in the same rack i have 2 separate old amps powering separate sonos for an outdoor area and a den.

i plan on taking the A5, the PS audio dac, and a sonus out and into the den just for music listening. i plan to purchase a Wyred 4 Sound Dac for the main room .
i want to improve the sound and power my mains after moving the A5. if i look to 2 SX500 mono blocks for the mains what should i use to power the center and the 3 rear in ceiling speakers{currently powered by the sr7005] would there be a considerable difference in SQ by using sx500 mono blocks as compared to say a 3 channel amp for the fronts

just want to improve the sq, while moving some equipment out of the rack. kinda a newb with this and want the best bang for my buck and something i will hold onto for a long time and enjoy.
post #1428 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

I am curious. I would like to run 2 center channels from my 5 channel W4S amp. I only have one center out from my Pioneer SC57 AVR that is used as a pre/pro. Should I put 2 speaker wires into the same center channel out on my W4S amp or is there a better solution?

Thanks!

Bump
post #1429 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

I am curious. I would like to run 2 center channels from my 5 channel W4S amp. I only have one center out from my Pioneer SC57 AVR that is used as a pre/pro. Should I put 2 speaker wires into the same center channel out on my W4S amp or is there a better solution?

Thanks!

Hmmmm... might need a bit more info; not clear on the below--

1) Which W4S 5 channel amp?

2) What is the impedance and efficiency of the speakers your using

3) Do you have an extra channel or do you plan to run 2 speakers on "one" channel?
post #1430 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveo View Post

i want to improve the sound and power my mains after moving the A5. if i look to 2 SX500 mono blocks for the mains what should i use to power the center and the 3 rear in ceiling speakers{currently powered by the sr7005] would there be a considerable difference in SQ by using sx500 mono blocks as compared to say a 3 channel amp for the fronts

just want to improve the sq, while moving some equipment out of the rack. kinda a newb with this and want the best bang for my buck and something i will hold onto for a long time and enjoy.

Go with the MC3x570 wpc over 3 separate monoblocks.
post #1431 of 1583
[quote="bioforce"]

Hmmmm... might need a bit more info; not clear on the below--

1) Which W4S 5 channel amp? MC5 (500x3, 250x2)

2) What is the impedance and efficiency of the speakers your using

Looking at 4 ohm speakers with 93 dB sensitivity.

3) Do you have an extra channel or do you plan to run 2 speakers on "one" channel?

2 speakers, one 500 watt channel (actually, 1170 watts into 4 ohms)
post #1432 of 1583
[quote=jtuttle;22057320]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioforce View Post


Hmmmm... might need a bit more info; not clear on the below--

1) Which W4S 5 channel amp? MC5 (500x3, 250x2)

2) What is the impedance and efficiency of the speakers your using

Looking at 4 ohm speakers with 93 dB sensitivity.

3) Do you have an extra channel or do you plan to run 2 speakers on "one" channel?

2 speakers, one 500 watt channel (actually, 1170 watts into 4 ohms)

If each of the speakers is 4 ohms then the amp will see a 2 ohm load.
post #1433 of 1583
Since the amp is rated for 4 ohms, I guess I would need 8 ohm speakers to run 2 speakers off the same center channel (from the amp)?
post #1434 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

Since the amp is rated for 4 ohms, I guess I would need 8 ohm speakers to run 2 speakers off the same center channel (from the amp)?

The "rating" is just to give you an idea of the power output at different impedances. However, not too many amps "like" to be subjected to 2 ohm loads and driven hard.

W4S might be capable of running a 2 ohm load, but if you want to flog it, you might want to call W4S tech support, and see what they think given your gear combo. As impedance goes down, amp stability is affected.

93db efficiency might allow you to do so, since it wouldn't take that much power to create significant SPL's, but I'd still check with W4S Techs.
post #1435 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioforce View Post


The "rating" is just to give you an idea of the power output at different impedances. However, not too many amps "like" to be subjected to 2 ohm loads and driven hard.

W4S might be capable of running a 2 ohm load, but if you want to flog it, you might want to call W4S tech support, and see what they think given your gear combo. As impedance goes down, amp stability is affected.

93db efficiency might allow you to do so, since it wouldn't take that much power to create significant SPL's, but I'd still check with W4S Techs.

Thanks.
post #1436 of 1583
JT, wire the 2 4 ohm speakers in "series" and you have an 8 ohm load at the amp.
post #1437 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

JT, wire the 2 4 ohm speakers in "series" and you have an 8 ohm load at the amp.

In other words, one set of speaker wires from the amp and a second set of speaker wires from the first to second speaker (and no wires directly from the amp to speaker 2)?
post #1438 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

In other words, one set of speaker wires from the amp and a second set of speaker wires from the first to second speaker (and no wires directly from the amp to speaker 2)?

Positive from amp to positive on speaker one then on speaker one go from negative to positve on speaker two then negative on speaker two to negative on the amp.
post #1439 of 1583
Fish, winner winner chicken dinner!
post #1440 of 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbob View Post

Positive from amp to positive on speaker one then on speaker one go from negative to positve on speaker two then negative on speaker two to negative on the amp.

Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Wyred 4 Sound Amp Thread