or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 7

post #181 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

I know you mentioned the BD50, but the BD30 shares the same internals with the Denon 2500. No, the Panny box isn't as study as the Denon, but then again, I rarely play Rugby with my equipment. It sits on a study shelf day after day.

If someone can point out a SQ or PQ difference then I would agree. I don't want a nice Prepro and only so-so SQ or PQ. Since the two players internals are the same, I don't think we will see anyone making such a claim.

Darrell


LOL, rugby, exactly what I think when people mention the "built like a tank" I think it is more likely for me to get struck by lightening then to see my BD player smack itself on the ground. Furthermore if the Denon is 3x heavier won't it crash down harder?

How can there be a SQ difference with bitstream out? Another note I am running out of room in my Salamander and Denon 5.x" high is a bit more of an issue than the panny which is 1/2 the height, I can stack my XA2 (3") on top of the Panny and actually fit both in the same space as the 2500BT.

I'm looking to Denon for the unit DenonJeff mentions with SACD/DVD-A/BD/Denonlink and I am hoping it incorporates HDDVD into that as well then I won't care about 6" height and weight can be 100LB if they want :-)
post #182 of 25958
In the Denon Blu-ray threads, DenonJeff claims that the only thing the 2500 has in common with the BD30 is the UniPhier decoder. Everything else is uniquely Denon.
post #183 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

In the Denon Blu-ray threads, DenonJeff claims that the only thing the 2500 has in common with the BD30 is the UniPhier decoder. Everything else is uniquely Denon.

Hmmm... either way, I would be interested to hear form those that have done a side by side comparison.

I have seen and heard the Denon 2500 several times at my delaers, but it was on completely different equipment than what I use with my BD30. I can't make any judgements.
post #184 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

In the Denon Blu-ray threads, DenonJeff claims that the only thing the 2500 has in common with the BD30 is the UniPhier decoder. Everything else is uniquely Denon.

Well that would explain that LFE bug between both. I just think I will regret not waiting for the "uber" BD/DVD-A/SACD/etc etc they plan to come out with, ya I know I can sell it but honestly not too many people will be interested in the 2500 after that.

Sorry for hijacking the AVP thread with BD stuff to the OP
post #185 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

... but then again, I rarely play Rugby with my equipment. It sits on a study shelf day after day....

Darrell

Oh Darrell, you're not getting your money's worth!
post #186 of 25958
There are individuals who posted in the BD thread that purchased a DVD-2500 and who already owned a BD30. They said that the video was about the same -- the Denon maybe being slightly better but not enough to crow about. But the audio on the Denon was said to be significantly better. One poster said that he was going to move the BD30 into the bedroom and make the 2500 the player for the main HT system.
post #187 of 25958
I'll be interested in picking up a Denon 2.0 profile player ... Wouldn't mind just a beefy all digital transport with no analog section, just a killer, heavy, rock solid transport with lots of digital outputs and high quality connectors. DVD-Audio, SACD, Blu Ray... But I have no interest in HD-DVD... HD-DVD will just add too much additional circuitry and complexity...besides, it is dead. Anything on HD-DVD will be re-released on Blu Ray anyway...

I suspect Denon should make a really good mature 2.0 player(s) by the end of the year?? I can wait since I have a PS3 to hold me over until then....
post #188 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

There are individuals who posted in the BD thread that purchased a DVD-2500 and who already owned a BD30. They said that the video was about the same -- the Denon maybe being slightly better but not enough to crow about. But the audio on the Denon was said to be significantly better. One poster said that he was going to move the BD30 into the bedroom and make the 2500 the player for the main HT system.

Pete,

Is this in the Denon 2500 thread? I would be interested in reading that as it is very relevant.

Darrell
post #189 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

... the audio on the Denon was said to be significantly better. ...

Under what circumstances? Player decoding? Bitstream out? Same downstream equipment? The audio set-up configurations can vary so much for HD formats that it seems too broad to say that the "audio" on one player is better without specifying exactly what's being compared.
post #190 of 25958
WOW this thread is certainly taking a twist.

What amazes me is the lack of feedback on the Pre and Amp from owners; most that have bought are excited when they get them, and then concern themselves about the BD player etc they're going to mate with them.

The feeling I'm getting is that this pre is big, and flexible, and versatile, but just another HT processor at the end of the day, I.e. nothing special to write home about in the audio stakes.

Does anyone else have this impression?
post #191 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium7 View Post

How can there be a SQ difference with bitstream out?

I'm looking to Denon for the unit DenonJeff mentions with SACD/DVD-A/BD/Denonlink and I am hoping it incorporates HDDVD into that as well then I won't care about 6" height and weight can be 100LB if they want :-)

On the first point jitter for one thing. And I know that different transport sound different with the same DAC even with redbook CD.

On the future universal unit, I am 110% with you other than the HDDVD issue.
post #192 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post

WOW this thread is certainly taking a twist.

What amazes me is the lack of feedback on the Pre and Amp from owners; most that have bought are excited when they get them, and then concern themselves about the BD player etc they’re going to mate with them.

The feeling I’m getting is that this pre is big, and flexible, and versatile, but just another HT processor at the end of the day, I.e. nothing special to write home about in the audio stakes.

Does anyone else have this impression?

Spear, buddy... Have you read everything?

I wrote some feedback saying the SQ of the AVP is in the same class as the Proceed AVP2+6, and the Halcro. Readers of this forum know that the AVP2 is one of the top non-HDMI Prepro available. The Halcro is one of the top HDMI capable Prepro. I think my comments should be interpreted as High Praise.

Would it help if we owners use lots of smily faces so people will know we are happy?

I think the current owners are happy with the SQ. The AVP is very complex though, and we are busy trying to figure out how to best configure it. Sorry, if we have spent more time trying to get the most out of the unit instead of trying to convince others that this is a great sounding unit.

BTW, how many people do you think have units here at this point? 5-10?

Darrell
post #193 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

Spear, buddy... Have you read everything?


Darrell

Yes I've been following both threads with much interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post



BTW, how many people do you think have units here yet?

Darrell

I'm not sure, although I do know of six units in Australia, including my one.

It's just an observation from both a reader and an owner.
post #194 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post

Yes I've been following both threads with much interest.

I'm not sure, although I do know of six units in Australia, including my one.

It's just an observation from both a reader and an owner.

So what are your thoughts on the AVP? Do you consider the SQ mediocre? Any regrets?

I know I don't have any regrets switching from the Halcro to the AVP.
post #195 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post

What amazes me is the lack of feedback on the Pre and Amp from owners; most that have bought are excited when they get them, and then concern themselves about the BD player etc they're going to mate with them.

The feeling I'm getting is that this pre is big, and flexible, and versatile, but just another HT processor at the end of the day, I.e. nothing special to write home about in the audio stakes.

Does anyone else have this impression?

Spearmint,

Initally when the word came out of this Denon product, I wanted to wait until a few people gave some feedback and I had the same impression you did. However, knowing GoodSonics was receiving one of these units, I wanted to wait until he provided his feedback before I would even consider this piece. Darrell has owned some of the same equipment I've had or have (Proceed and Halcro) and his input was/is respected by me. Personally, I would/will take his word on what this unit can do and the sonics it produces. No Pun intended.

It would seem to me this piece has most of the latest technology available so even though it may be costly, it should be worth the price of admission. However, I am sure there will be glitches and some issues along the way, which would be very normal with a piece such as this. Personally, if I'd ever make the jump, I'd wait a bit only because I'd prefer to wait until it's in the marketplace for some time, plus there will other HDMI SSP's in the next year. That's just me. However, I read this thread daily for impressions and users comments.

I still can't call it an AVP as I am still in the mindset of AVP ='s Proceed. Old habits are difficult to break.
post #196 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

So what are your thoughts on the AVP? Do you consider the SQ mediocre? Any regrets?

I know I don't have any regrets switching from the Halcro to the AVP.


I made some observations in the other thread. 'CLICK'

I've no regrets with buying the Pre, what I'm observing is a perceived lack of excitement once owners have started using their units. And yes I do have my own personal feelings about the audio quality of the Pre since I don't own the amp, so I can't comment on that. To me it's very similar in sonic performance to the much lower priced Denon AVR's when used as a pre e.g. 4308.
post #197 of 25958
They have arrived - pre/pro + Kuro 60". Being installed right now!
post #198 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaharT View Post

They have arrived - pre/pro + Kuro 60". Being installed right now!

Congratulations look forward to your feedback once you get some hours up!
post #199 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

Spearmint,

However, knowing GoodSonics was receiving one of these units, I wanted to wait until he provided his feedback before I would even consider this piece. Darrell has owned some of the same equipment I've had or have (Proceed and Halcro) and his input was/is respected by me. Personally, I would/will take his word on what this unit can do and the sonics it produces. No Pun intended.

Mozvz,

I think I have the AVP (Denon), set up pretty well now, and can make comments relative to the Proceed AVP2+6, and the Halcro. I just need to test out the 2-Ch Analog for you (I play 2-CH via HDMI). I should be able to post something by Saturday.

Here is something to think about. The Denon is smooth and dynamic. It is a pretty accurate unit. When you combine those attributes, with the Audyssey, and the EQ, you can make the Denon AVP sound pretty close to either the AVP2+6 or the Halcro.

The Denon has worked flawlessly with 5 HDMI sources/displays now. So far, I haven't found any bugs nor seen any buggy behaviour.

Darrell
post #200 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post

I made some observations in the other thread. 'CLICK'

I've no regrets with buying the Pre, what I'm observing is a perceived lack of excitement once owners have started using their units. And yes I do have my own personal feelings about the audio quality of the Pre since I don't own the amp, so I can't comment on that. To me it's very similar in sonic performance to the much lower priced Denon AVR's when used as a pre e.g. 4308.

What amps are you using? I am happy with how the Pre sounds with my Classe Monoblocks.

Will your dealer let you return the unit in trade for a 4308?
post #201 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

What amps are you using? I am happy with how the Pre sounds with my Classe Monoblocks.

Will your dealer let you return the unit in trade for a 4308?

I'm using Elektra amps; these are a locally manufactured product here in Australia.




Hehehe, no I have no desire to swap the pre for any of the other Denon range, the flexibility of it for my setup is what I enjoy the most. Currently running 9.1 and will eventually give 9.3 a go since I run four subs in my HT room. Two subs for LFE and two as stereo crossed over from my mains.

post #202 of 25958
I have had my AVP set up for several days now and I am very happy with it. Since going to seperates from a Yamaha receiver about 12 years ago, I have had two Citations, an Anthem AVM20, an Anthem D1 and for a very short time the Krell S1000. This units bests them all for HT. I haven't done enough 2-channel listening yet to say, but I think it's as good as the Anthems for that. I set up the Audyssey Pro this afternoon and it adds a very sense of 3-dimentional sound to movies. My only complaint is the subs(I run 2 JL Audio F113) are a little weak, but I think that is a common complaint with Audyssey. It probably stems from the subs being set "correctly" instead of too hot the way most set them. Just my opinion.
post #203 of 25958
Wow, nice sub setup...

ROCK DA HOUSE!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post


Hehehe, no I have no desire to swap the pre for any of the other Denon range, the flexibility of it for my setup is what I enjoy the most. Currently running 9.1 and will eventually give 9.3 a go since I run four subs in my HT room. Two subs for LFE and two as stereo crossed over from my mains.
post #204 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas View Post

My only complaint is the subs(I run 2 JL Audio F113) are a little weak, but I think that is a common complaint with Audyssey. It probably stems from the subs being set "correctly" instead of too hot the way most set them. Just my opinion.

I've run Audyssey, and am very happy with the results other than I had to back the bass off by some 6dB from what it set. I guess with running Adire Tumults in 15" and 12" configurations I've plenty of headroom.
post #205 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

Wow, nice sub setup...

ROCK DA HOUSE!!!

Thanks, and yes the two 12" Tumults can Rock the House, the 15's behind the mains just push it over the edge.
post #206 of 25958
Wow, I just re-ran the Audyssey Pro and set the crossovers at 60Hz instead of the 40Hz that Audyssey wanted to use, and got the integration I wanted. My Salk HT3s have a 10in' sub in them and audyssey wanted to set them to large and cross at 40Hz. It sounded good, but crossing a 60Hz sound excellent!! OK I'm now in audio Nirvana!
post #207 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas View Post

Wow, I just re-ran the Audyssey Pro and set the crossovers at 60Hz instead of the 40Hz that Audyssey wanted to use, and got the integration I wanted. My Salk HT3s have a 10in' sub in them and audyssey wanted to set them to large and cross at 40Hz. It sounded good, but crossing a 60Hz sound excellent!! OK I'm now in audio Nirvana!


Great news indeed!

I too find that Audyssey crosses my surrounds and centre over at 40Hz, I change them back to 60Hz and back the subs off and then I'm also happy with the results. I would still like to get the installers kit, so I can delve into Audyssey in more detail.
post #208 of 25958
Howdy Spearmint old buddy, I too am happy with the AVP (although I can only run it in 2 channel mode for a couple more weeks)...but my focus has been on running in a CD player for the last few days (how many times can the Doobie Brothers be repeat played do ya reckon? )

Looking forward to hearing the beast in all it's 7.3 glory when my Cinema is up and running mid April

Cheers,

Curious
post #209 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

hi franin, I know Rab turner and have dealt with cav for a lot of years ! as far back as can remember ..highly recommend them.

as per their webpage says the avp has landed !

And if he has one franin I'd grab it. your dealer you been dealing with should understand I'm sure. this way youd have one now ! as you deserve !

My Brother has purchased quite a few things from Rab (Whise Subwoofer, Arcam AV8 and DVD29, Marantz SR-12).

Thank for posting the website AL - I was unable to as I am a new user and I require 3 posts to do so. I might go down and have a listen to the 2 units as he'll have them setup quite soon.

Cheers

Blade
post #210 of 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post

I made some observations in the other thread. 'CLICK'

I've no regrets with buying the Pre, what I'm observing is a perceived lack of excitement once owners have started using their units. And yes I do have my own personal feelings about the audio quality of the Pre since I don't own the amp, so I can't comment on that. To me it's very similar in sonic performance to the much lower priced Denon AVR's when used as a pre e.g. 4308.

I read your review of the Denon and it sounds convincing to me. I think what you have is a Denon pre/pro that sounds great with the new sound codecs, but average to good on the legacy formats. This being the case, for me, I'll wait for a Blu-Ray player with 7.1 analog outs, that can decode the new sound codecs. Of course it will also need a good crossover built in the player. Then, I can keep my Arcam AV9 thats in the top 5 best pre/pros available for any price.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread.