or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 795

post #23821 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerc View Post

I am looking at getting one used. I am debating whether I should do the 3d update.

Definitely. Not sure how much longer the upgrade will be available, maybe not much longer.

Upgrade will definitely help with resale value, as well. Especially when kits sell out.
post #23822 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by abontrager View Post

Thanks Guys. Will add back the VP50 pro - ugh.
I'm only 5.1 in the theater, so many of the surround functions aren't appropriate, but if I understand the comments, running video via the VP50 pro to the AVP I can do full pass through on video but still use the AVP to handle all of the audio processing.

Why not have the VP50Pro after the AVP and before the display ?

Daniel.
post #23823 of 25965
Guys why the new microphone is so lighter than the one supplyed with avp?
I happened to see it yesterday in the rep"s service installing the update on a avc a1, and it felt like 1/3 the weight of the avp"s.
What is the differences of this one compared to the old one? is it any better? (obviously will be).
How does audyssey xt 32 , manages subwoofers? , I hope i will get rid of velo"s sms 1 , along with it"s annoying noise(boiling).
post #23824 of 25965
The DM-A409 supplied with the AVP 3D Upgrade is the same mic that has been supplied with all Denon AVRs going back to 2008.
post #23825 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

Guys why the new microphone is so lighter than the one supplyed with avp?
I happened to see it yesterday in the rep"s service installing the update on a avc a1, and it felt like 1/3 the weight of the avp"s.
What is the differences of this one compared to the old one? is it any better? (obviously will be).
How does audyssey xt 32 , manages subwoofers? , I hope i will get rid of velo"s sms 1 , along with it"s annoying noise(boiling).

They just made them cheaper before it was made of some metal and now plastic, but you have to use the new one since its different. i use to use a sms1 but now just use xt32 give it time to fiddle but in the end its much better.

Daniel.
post #23826 of 25965
When i get the upgrade i will try both to see how they compare to each other. Just to fiddle around .
Hopefully , i will take my avp in for the update on monday, and have it back on wednesday.This ia small country"s benefit sometimes.biggrin.gif
post #23827 of 25965
No reason to as your current mic does not have the correct configuration file to use with Audyssey XT32.
post #23828 of 25965
I suppose you are talking about the config file that exists in the avp , currently.And that this file won"t be, accesible , or corrfect with the new audyssey.
Yeah you are right about that, BUT , i want to check the possible differences between the two mike"s.
Thanks though.
post #23829 of 25965
No, rather the mic's design config file.
post #23830 of 25965
Hadn't thought of having the sources go direct to the AVP then have it go to the DVDO. I thought all vid sources should hit the DVDO first. Any pros/cons to either approach.
post #23831 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by abontrager View Post

Hadn't thought of having the sources go direct to the AVP then have it go to the DVDO. I thought all vid sources should hit the DVDO first. Any pros/cons to either approach.

I used to have my VP50 between the output of the AVP and my projector. The only issue that I had was that it sometimes took a while to lock up on HDCP content. Even though my BenQ 10000 could do vertical stretch I did not use it as the DVDO did a better job. I have now purchased the Denon DBP-A100 that uses the latest DVDO chips for scaling and that provides a vertical stretch that seems to be even sharper/cleaner than that provided by the VP50 so I have now removed it and just use it for test signals and scaling my Denon DVD-5900. Also if you use the VP50 video processing it is far superior to that found in the AVP.
post #23832 of 25965
Thanks Digione. I think I'll keep the DVDP between the sources and the AVP. I think this will give me the best ability to control the individual settings for each source. I've turned off the video conversion so I should be passing through the DVDO signal directly to the PJ. However, I know see that my volume control doesn't show up on screen. Any idea why that is. I kinda liked this function (didn't have it with my old setup). Is this simply a function of turning off the video conversion? Can't figure out how to get that back. In fact no menus "overlay" onto the video. You can hear the AVP switch from the input signal when I hit the menu button. Any suggestions on how to fix this so I can see the volume control and get the menus to overlay?

Thanks much.
post #23833 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by abontrager View Post

Thanks Digione. I think I'll keep the DVDP between the sources and the AVP. I think this will give me the best ability to control the individual settings for each source. I've turned off the video conversion so I should be passing through the DVDO signal directly to the PJ. However, I know see that my volume control doesn't show up on screen. Any idea why that is. I kinda liked this function (didn't have it with my old setup). Is this simply a function of turning off the video conversion? Can't figure out how to get that back. In fact no menus "overlay" onto the video. You can hear the AVP switch from the input signal when I hit the menu button. Any suggestions on how to fix this so I can see the volume control and get the menus to overlay?
Thanks much.

Is this a problem with just the DVDO scaled input all are all inputs not showing the menu and volume OSD? If it is everything I recall that there is a setting somewhere to enable/disable the on screen displays, time to read the manual.smile.gif
If it is just the one DVDO input I am not too sure as disabling the video conversion should not disable the OS displays, as it does not on my AVP.
post #23834 of 25965
Got a question for you experts: Does the AVP's bass management & Audyssey handle a bitstream directly or does it first convert it to PCM before applying bass management/Audyssey?

Also, on a DSD signal, I have always assumed it converted to PCM too before applying BM but since we now know the AVP can have some flavor of BM/Auydssey even in Direct and Pure Direct modes, I am just wondering what the heck is going on (inside) when I fiddle around with the various Audyssey flavors and so forth.
post #23835 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk576c View Post

Mine had a 17 min update available. BUT since I had such a horrible time trying to update my units firmware before taking it to the service center for the 1k upgrade I decided to not try the 17 min update. I would also be curious what the 17 min update is for.... as of right now I'm happier with my home theater than I have ever been. If it's not broke dont fix it wink.gif

I finally got around to checking my unit - first time since I had the 3d/xt32 upgrade.

Showed a 17 min update available, tried to update, connection failed. Tried again and it succeeded. Unit shut down, front panel displayed SUB FIRM UPDATING for about 3 minutes and then DSP1 FIRM UPDATING for the balance of the time (about 14 minutes). After the update, it powered back up by itself.

I think this might be the first time I ever did an firmware update for my AVP since I bought it in 2010.
post #23836 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

I finally got around to checking my unit - first time since I had the 3d/xt32 upgrade.
Showed a 17 min update available, tried to update, connection failed. Tried again and it succeeded. Unit shut down, front panel displayed SUB FIRM UPDATING for about 3 minutes and then DSP1 FIRM UPDATING for the balance of the time (about 14 minutes). After the update, it powered back up by itself.
I think this might be the first time I ever did an firmware update for my AVP since I bought it in 2010.
Quote:
I have improved the output level of the subwoofer when playing (1) SACD.
Products that require this update is only for products that have been produced by the end of March 2012.

This is the only update that is noted on Denon Japan website which was released 2012/03/12. I'm curious to know what the 17 min update is ? Has anyone contacted Denon asking them what it does ?
post #23837 of 25965
I have all sources going into the DVDO and a single out to the avp. For each source the vol control doesn't show. Been searching the manual but haven't found the settings
post #23838 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by abontrager View Post

I have all sources going into the DVDO and a single out to the avp. For each source the vol control doesn't show. Been searching the manual but haven't found the settings

1) turn the unit (avp) off using the small button. there is a bug that once every say 3 months it forgets osd. Or you might have it on VideoDirect (VD).

2) why not put the vp50pro behind the avp and use the avp to switch. The vp50pro will direct most signal changes anyway and allow for settings per signal.

Daniel.
post #23839 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Got a question for you experts: Does the AVP's bass management & Audyssey handle a bitstream directly or does it first convert it to PCM before applying bass management/Audyssey?

Also, on a DSD signal, I have always assumed it converted to PCM too before applying BM but since we now know the AVP can have some flavor of BM/Auydssey even in Direct and Pure Direct modes, I am just wondering what the heck is going on (inside) when I fiddle around with the various Audyssey flavors and so forth.

it converts it to pcm...
post #23840 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

it converts it to pcm...

Maybe you know and i guess this is a good a time as any to ask, i assumed that denon always upsamples and does AL (of some kind) for all inputs to keep the digital signal path easy so always use one internal bitrate and bitdepth (say 192/24) do you feel i am correct in this claim ?. I ask because i always noticed very little problems compared to other brands with different bitrates and depths and always figured they sidestep the whole thing by always bringing into one stable format.

Daniel.
post #23841 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

Maybe you know and i guess this is a good a time as any to ask, i assumed that denon always upsamples and does AL (of some kind) for all inputs to keep the digital signal path easy so always use one internal bitrate and bitdepth (say 192/24) do you feel i am correct in this claim ?. I ask because i always noticed very little problems compared to other brands with different bitrates and depths and always figured they sidestep the whole thing by always bringing into one stable format.
Daniel.

I'm pretty confident that all PCM inputs are upsampled to 24/192 as part of Advanced AL24.

Also, has anyone checked for firmware lately? For the past several weeks, I keep getting Connection Failed. Is it just me?
post #23842 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

1) turn the unit (avp) off using the small button. there is a bug that once every say 3 months it forgets osd. Or you might have it on VideoDirect (VD).
2) why not put the vp50pro behind the avp and use the avp to switch. The vp50pro will direct most signal changes anyway and allow for settings per signal.
Daniel.

Ok turned off video direct and hit the power button (small) still no joy. Checked the GUI menu and I have text on and the volume bar set to bottom.

I'll need to do some more research on having the components go directly to the AVP then have the DVDO take the AVP signal to the PJ. Just want to make sure the vid quality is on par with going DVDO direct. I've noticed some black artifacting on THOR which I didn't have before but my guess is ill have to live with it in order to have the AVP in the vid chain
post #23843 of 25965
Has anybody managed to run their sub/LFE channel plus L/R channels in stereo analog mode (AL24 and Audyssey off) since the XT32/3D upgrade? We all had a discussion regarding this many months ago and I explained how to have the sub active when running in analog and stereo and NO AL24/Audyssey, and it worked just fine. The AVP has fixed analog THX 80Hz LP/HP filters that are designed to support this function.

Since the upgrade I cannot find any menu combination that supports analog stereo mode with sub on and AL24/Audyssey off.

If anybody has got this to work since the upgrade I would be very grateful if you could tell me what menu settings are required to make it happen.
post #23844 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

it converts it to pcm...

So would there be any advantage to having the AVP decode DSD to PCM compared to say having an external player, computer or streamer handle the DSD to PCM? It seems to be there should be some differences between chips that decode to PCM since DSD to PCM is a mathematical format or algorithm - right? I use the Denon Link to play my SACDs and there are mountains of opinions about DSD over HDMI VS DL but what about the actual chip that decodes the DSD signal. Would the one in the AVP be a superior chip? Foobar has a DSD decoder for computers now but is a free piece of software like Foobar going to give you as good a conversion as the AVP?

Thanks.
post #23845 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

I'm pretty confident that all PCM inputs are upsampled to 24/192 as part of Advanced AL24.
Also, has anyone checked for firmware lately? For the past several weeks, I keep getting Connection Failed. Is it just me?

Sam, did you try repeatedly when you got the connection failed error? I just updated to the latest firmware last night and got the connection failed error the first time it pinged but I tried again and it went through the 2nd attempt. It took a few minutes for it to establish a connection too.
post #23846 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digione View Post

Has anybody managed to run their sub/LFE channel plus L/R channels in stereo analog mode (AL24 and Audyssey off) since the XT32/3D upgrade? We all had a discussion regarding this many months ago and I explained how to have the sub active when running in analog and stereo and NO AL24/Audyssey, and it worked just fine. The AVP has fixed analog THX 80Hz LP/HP filters that are designed to support this function.
Since the upgrade I cannot find any menu combination that supports analog stereo mode with sub on and AL24/Audyssey off.
If anybody has got this to work since the upgrade I would be very grateful if you could tell me what menu settings are required to make it happen.

Have you tried the BASIC speaker configuration (Manual Setup/Audio Setup/2 Channel Direct/Stereo) like we did before (Post 20778)?

It looks like that menu routine is unchanged after the upgrade. I'm watching football right now with a DD signal so I can't confirm results with an analog signal but it looks like the same routine should work. I can try later tonight though if you can't get it to work.
post #23847 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Have you tried the BASIC speaker configuration (Manual Setup/Audio Setup/2 Channel Direct/Stereo) like we did before (Post 20778)?
It looks like that menu routine is unchanged after the upgrade. I'm watching football right now with a DD signal so I can't confirm results with an analog signal but it looks like the same routine should work. I can try later tonight though if you can't get it to work.

That is what I tried, just like before, but I was unable to get it to work. I look forward to hearing if it works for you.
post #23848 of 25965
^^
Paul, I just confirmed it still works the same way on my unit: AL24 light goes out, all Audyssey lights are off, SW1 and SW2 output lights are ON, etc.. I even pulled the grille off one of my subwoofers just to confirm it was firing. Sounds awful, BTW. eek.gif

I did just install the 17 minute firmware update last night and one of the components it showed it was updating was SUB so that may have been something they fixed/changed since the 3d/xt32 update.

Will
post #23849 of 25965
Does everybody's AVP slowly ramp up the volume whenever the screen changes and/or the sound is interrupted? For example, skip forward with the Tivo interrupts the sound and when it syncs again, the volume will slowly ramp back up to normal listening level from a lower volume.

I assume this has to do with Dynamic Volume but I don't remember ever noticing this before today.
post #23850 of 25965
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

^^
Paul, I just confirmed it still works the same way on my unit: AL24 light goes out, all Audyssey lights are off, SW1 and SW2 output lights are ON, etc.. I even pulled the grille off one of my subwoofers just to confirm it was firing. Sounds awful, BTW. eek.gif
I did just install the 17 minute firmware update last night and one of the components it showed it was updating was SUB so that may have been something they fixed/changed since the 3d/xt32 update.
Will

Thank you for you for checking this for me. I will see if I need a firmware update and then rerun the test.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread.