or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › New Panasonic THX Certified 42PZ800U, 46PZ800U, and 50PZ800U Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Panasonic THX Certified 42PZ800U, 46PZ800U, and 50PZ800U Thread! - Page 2

post #31 of 7775
I mean the "commerical" or "professional" line of plasma's, they aren't out yet, and I have yet to here anything as far as specs. I like them for their minimalist design.
post #32 of 7775
I don't know if this is the right place to ask it, but is 1080p/24 make that much of a difference? I'm really interested in this tv, but I want to make sure this THX certification and 1080p/24 is more than just marketing hype.
post #33 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALeperMessiah View Post

I don't know if this is the right place to ask it, but is 1080p/24 make that much of a difference? I'm really interested in this tv, but I want to make sure this THX certification and 1080p/24 is more than just marketing hype.

I'm also interested in the issue of 24p native resolution. I've been reading about frame rates and pull-downs but I don't know yet if I will actually SEE the difference-- it affects my decision whether to get the 50PZ85U or the 50PZ800U. FWIW, I also wonder whether I will notice the difference in the additional shades of gradation (4096 vs. 5120).

As far as the other step-up features, I don't think I care very much about the THX certification, the 4 vs 2 speakers, or the swivel base. Also, I may have missed it, but I still don't know if the "one sheet of glass design" is just cosmetic or reduces the "halo effect when compared with traditional three panes of glass" (according to Panasonic)?

The 50 PZ85U is available now, of course; the 50PZ800U ships on 4/24 and is on sale May 5 (according to Panasonic). I'd LOVE to have an HDTV by April 7 (Masters golf); otherwise waiting another month would be OK. (Getting a 46" PZ800U instead of a 50" PZ85U might be my quid pro quo for the step-up in quality).
post #34 of 7775
I am waiting for the 46pz800u myself, can't wait till it comes out. Any MSRP on the 46 800u?
post #35 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post

I am waiting for the 46pz800u myself, can't wait till it comes out. Any MSRP on the 46 800u?

MSRP TH-46PZ800U $2799.95
post #36 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post

I am waiting for the 46pz800u myself, can't wait till it comes out. Any MSRP on the 46 800u?

There is street pricing already up I think the wait for these will be a while.............
post #37 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

There is street pricing already up I think the wait for these will be a while.............

Panasonic direct sales told me today that "shipping on April 14 and in stores for sale on April 28" for the 46PZ800U. The 50PZ800U is scheduled for shipping on April 24 and OK to sell on May 5.

I'm just the messenger here so take it for what it is worth.
post #38 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLine View Post

Panasonic direct sales told me today that "shipping on April 14 and in stores for sale on April 28" for the 46PZ800U. The 50PZ800U is scheduled for shipping on April 24 and OK to sell on May 5.

I'm just the messenger here so take it for what it is worth.

I believe you may be right, but it can vary from place to place...

Chris
post #39 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLine View Post

I'm also interested in the issue of 24p native resolution. I've been reading about frame rates and pull-downs but I don't know yet if I will actually SEE the difference-- it affects my decision whether to get the 50PZ85U or the 50PZ800U. FWIW, I also wonder whether I will notice the difference in the additional shades of gradation (4096 vs. 5120).

As far as the other step-up features, I don't think I care very much about the THX certification, the 4 vs 2 speakers, or the swivel base. Also, I may have missed it, but I still don't know if the "one sheet of glass design" is just cosmetic or reduces the "halo effect when compared with traditional three panes of glass" (according to Panasonic)?

The 50 PZ85U is available now, of course; the 50PZ800U ships on 4/24 and is on sale May 5 (according to Panasonic). I'd LOVE to have an HDTV by April 7 (Masters golf); otherwise waiting another month would be OK. (Getting a 46" PZ800U instead of a 50" PZ85U might be my quid pro quo for the step-up in quality).


I am getting the 42pz800u. Blu-Ray with its 1080 24p spec would be amazing on the tv at 48hz. You would be watching the movie the way it was meant to be seen. And not have to worry about artifacts that may be present with 24p to 60p conversion. It will also benefit me because I shoot most of my HD footage at 24p with my Canon hv20. You could relate this to watching 1080 material on a 720 display, I'm sure it would look good but just not AS good as watching the material on a 1080 display because no scaling from 1080 to 720 would be taking place. I think getting the 800 will leave you "set" for quite awhile. Hope this helps a little.
post #40 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ntense View Post

I am getting the 42pz800u. Blu-Ray with its 1080 24p spec would be amazing on the tv at 48hz. You would be watching the movie the way it was meant to be seen. And not have to worry about artifacts that may be present with 24p to 60p conversion. It will also benefit me because I shoot most of my HD footage at 24p with my Canon hv20. You could relate this to watching 1080 material on a 720 display, I'm sure it would look good but just not AS good as watching the material on a 1080 display because no scaling from 1080 to 720 would be taking place. I think getting the 800 will leave you "set" for quite awhile. Hope this helps a little.

2ntense, the only difference between 24p on the 85u and the 800u would be 3:2 (uneven) frame repeat judder, i don't think there are any other artifacts. also since there is inherent judder in 24p material (due to it's relatively low frame rate) one would still see that type of judder, it's just the uneven frame repeat judder that goes away with 48Hz. Also given that most of us have been watching 24fps film material on TV at 60Hz for so long (we are kind of used to uneven frame repeat judder), it remains to be seen how big a difference this 24p at 48Hz really makes. besides the point that each individual will have different sensitivity to it.....

BTW, I also shoot 24p with my canon HG10. Love that stuff How do you plan to get the 24p files to the TV?

Since the HG10 is AVCHD, I plan to stream the raw (unedited) m2ts files to the TV via tversity from a PS3 and hoping (based on reports I have heard) that the PS3 will correctly IVTC the 24p stream out of the 60i stream of the files and output at 1080p24. At least thats the plan
post #41 of 7775
Won't the slower 48fps playback offer its own artifacts due to such a low display refresh rate? 72Hz would have been a better choice.
post #42 of 7775
Hi,

For my part, I am waiting for the 58PZ800U...

Is this model should be inclued in this tread ?

Thanks,

Eric
post #43 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerRick4A View Post

Hi,

For my part, I am waiting for the 58PZ800U...

Is this model should be inclued in this tread ?

Thanks,

Eric

You will be waiting at least for 3-4 months or longer...

Chris
post #44 of 7775
I would think so... the Kuro does it at 72.

and you can get a 50" Kuro for less than a 46" Pany 800U... wouldn't the Kuro be a no brainer? Or are the new panasonics going to be that good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

Won't the slower 48fps playback offer its own artifacts due to such a low display refresh rate? 72Hz would have been a better choice.
post #45 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

I would think so... the Kuro does it at 72.

and you can get a 50" Kuro for less than a 46" Pany 800U... wouldn't the Kuro be a no brainer? Or are the new panasonics going to be that good?

I had asked the same q in the main 2008 panny thread a while back and someone said that "the way plasmas work you would'nt see much diff between 48Hz and 72Hz"...I understood that to mean that what I thought of refresh rates in the context of CRTs (that a PC CRT display at 75Hz "flickers" less than one at 60Hz) doesn't apply to plasmas. (EDIT - i guess it has something to do with the 480Hz sub field drive stuff (8 sub-fields per 1/60th sec) see - http://panasonic.net/pavc/viera/features/america.html)

Also it seems some movie theaters project at 48 fps and some at 72 so in that sense both panny's 2:2 48hz and pio's 3:3 72 Hz would seem to be "cinema" like as far as numbers go....

reg the Kuro, assuming you are talking about the 5080 then it's only 720p...while some (lucky some i would say since they can save mucho $$$ by going 720p ) have no problem with that, it's a deal breaker to some like me.
post #46 of 7775
Hi!

Nothing new ? Anybody ?

Do someone know the release date of the 50pz800u?

I ask that because amazon have change is delevry date from 2-5 week to 1-2 month !!!

Thanks,

Eric
post #47 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerRick4A View Post

Hi!

Nothing new ? Anybody ?

Do someone know the release date of the 50pz800u?

I ask that because amazon have change is delevry date from 2-5 week to 1-2 month !!!

Thanks,

Eric

ETA is sometime in April...

Chris
post #48 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbrillo View Post

any idea if the professional versions will get the THX certification and 24p playback?

The professional models (PF series) already support 24p. Here's a link to their specs:

Panasonic Specs
post #49 of 7775
I'm lost. New too this thread but, please excuse my ignorance, is there an 80U and an 800U? The reason I ask is I don't see the features everyone is describing under the 85U or the 80U on the Panasonic web site.
post #50 of 7775
Yes, two different models. I am guessing the 800U is not listed on the Panny website because it is going to be a little while before it is released.
post #51 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

The professional models (PF series) already support 24p. Here's a link to their specs:

Panasonic Specs


thats says 24p input...does it output also in a multiple of 24? (2:2 @ 48Hz, 3:3 @ 72 Hz)
post #52 of 7775
Anyone know if the 50PZ800U is going to have cablecard support? Thanks
post #53 of 7775
exactly...so it accepts 24 fps signal, if it displays it at 60Hz, then there's absolutely zero benefit to it.

Most of us are ok with judder because we were watching crt tv's and or rptv's for years...when watching a digital progressive display, I find the judder to be horrendous in a lot of movies. I hope Panasonic really makes this work properly. I experimented with a Kuro and their 24p mode introduced some microstutters and other timing issues...that just made the problem worse!

Ben
post #54 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

The professional models (PF series) already support 24p. Here's a link to their specs:

Panasonic Specs

The pro models have been supporting 24P for a few years now.
post #55 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioexcels View Post

The pro models have been supporting 24P for a few years now.

input only? or 48/72 Hz also....?
post #56 of 7775
post #57 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post

Anyone know if the 50PZ800U is going to have cablecard support? Thanks

The manual does not appear to show any type of cablecard support

Very disappointing.
post #58 of 7775
Quote:
Originally Posted by am777 View Post

thats says 24p input...does it output also in a multiple of 24? (2:2 @ 48Hz, 3:3 @ 72 Hz)


It actually supports both 2:2 and 4:4 (that's 96Hz for the latter). The manual is a bit ambiguous in its wording, in that it describes a "50/100 Hz refresh" setting with no mention specifically of 48/96Hz. But it does also mention that this function can be used with 24Hz input. And users have verified indepently (using judder tests) that no judder is present when using these refresh rates.
post #59 of 7775
guys...I have just purchased the 42PZ700U and love it for the most part but am wondering if the PZ800 model will have even better sound. While I do like the fullness of the bass on the PZ700U, I feel the upper and mid range speakers lack a little richness....the sounds, especially with XBOX 360 games, sound a little muddled and lack the clarity in the higher range.


Also do you think that going from the 5,000 Contrast from the 700U to a 30,000 Contrast on the new 800U is a bit of a marketing play on words?..... I mean, from 5,000 to 30,000 is a tremendous jump on paper...what do you think this will mean with REAL WORLD contrast increases?


thanks all
post #60 of 7775
Panney is driving us crazy, hum should i get the PX80 or the pz80, or maybe i should get the pZ85 or the PZ800 or how about the PZ850. This is getting to be like buying a toyota or honda with all the different levels. Im proberly going to buy the one in the middle PZ85 because i think the design looks a little better than the PZ80 so, i will have to pay 200 more for the PCinput that i dont need and the extra 10000 contrast that i will not notice any difference. Im wondering now maybe i should buy the vizo 50in for only 1400. only kidding.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › New Panasonic THX Certified 42PZ800U, 46PZ800U, and 50PZ800U Thread!