or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung LNxxA650 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung LNxxA650 Owner's Thread - Page 176

post #5251 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

I am seriously considering buying the 46A650. Right now I have a Sony KV-34XBR400 CRT, which has the best picture u have ever seen on a TV, but is smaller by 12 inches.

Anyone own the Samung that moved from a nice CRT? Was it worth it?


My 46A650 arrived yesterday and spent the night testing it out with various DVDs, TV shows and Xbox 360 games. It looks GREAT. This is my first LCD TV, I previously owned the Sony 34XBR960. I'm very happy to get rid of that 260LB beast.

The first thing I did was upgrade the firmware to 1003.M which was a snap and than began to hook everything up. I'll post some pictures once my new TV stand finished drying in a day or two.

BTW, the glossy screen is not as glossy as the older models, I watched Good Morning America this morning in HD with the shades partially open and the sun coming in, I hardly noticed it at all unless I was looking for it.
post #5252 of 23505
Why is it that the 71 is still a bit more expensive than the 650??

On Amazon they are close in price with the 650 maybe a little more expensive but at B&M stores the 71 is more.

The 71 was last years model and has more bugs.

The 650 just came out and looks to be bug free (with the firmware update).

Anyone care to take a guess!!!
post #5253 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlint View Post

Thanks for the reply. Its weird, it doesnt make a popping or crackle noise. It almost sounds like a noise if you were switching between sound modes (if that makes any sense) but the style of the sound doesnt change, it just skips real quick. I guess you could call it an audio drop, its really quick....and annoying.

I also get a "pop or crackle" sound from time to time.
post #5254 of 23505
i read a couple posts back that they are stopping production on the 650 till so they could work on teh 750 is that true?? cuz i saw the 40 inch 650 at best buy in new york and the picture was phenominal, but if they are stopping production maybe they will work on a few more kinks and make this TV flawless, cuz i was going to buy the 40xbr4, but still scared of those issues that plague that TV, but its still has a solid picture, so maybe ill just wait till the end of this month, everyone seems to be pretty satisfied with their 40 inch set, so well see what happens....on a side note has anyone played 360 or ps3 on the 40 inch?? the king of complaints still doesnt know wut to do...i mean id got out rite now and buy the 40a650 but if they are stopping production then ill wait
post #5255 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvguitar View Post

Should i return my LN40A650 for a new one?

So far it looks insane but i have this flashlight in the top right corner that really bother me. The right side is also a little lighter.

With the backlight at 3, i still see the flashlight when the screen goes black while watching a blu ray... at 5 it's really visible in a bad way

See pic below


Before you take it back, under detailed picture settings, check to make sure your "black adjust" setting is set to low or medium. I had some minor flashlighting and adjusting this setting completely eliminated the flashlights. On my set, the default setting was "off". Enabling this setting makes all of the blacks look incredible in my opinion. In fact, with this setting on, this tv has the deepest blacks of any LCD I have ever seen. I would recommend anyone experiencing flashlighting or clouding to try out this setting.
post #5256 of 23505
has there been any word on what the next 'touch of color' will be?
post #5257 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

i read a couple posts back that they are stopping production on the 650 till so they could work on teh 750 is that true??

I believe that a Samsung employee mentioned this to gilesmcgrath a while back. But samsung employees have been wrong before, so who knows. (Post is here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

on a side note has anyone played 360 or ps3 on the 40 inch?? the king of complaints still doesnt know wut to do...

Lots of people have, though not sure about 40" specifically. Download the thread (Thread tools) and do a search on 360 or PS3. You will find lots of info. Gamers love this set.
post #5258 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

i read a couple posts back that they are stopping production on the 650 till so they could work on teh 750 is that true?? cuz i saw the 40 inch 650 at best buy in new york and the picture was phenominal, but if they are stopping production maybe they will work on a few more kinks and make this TV flawless, cuz i was going to buy the 40xbr4, but still scared of those issues that plague that TV, but its still has a solid picture, so maybe ill just wait till the end of this month, everyone seems to be pretty satisfied with their 40 inch set, so well see what happens....on a side note has anyone played 360 or ps3 on the 40 inch?? the king of complaints still doesnt know wut to do...i mean id got out rite now and buy the 40a650 but if they are stopping production then ill wait

Most companies build their products in cycles. What Samsung is doing is building their 750's now and when they've built up a certain amount they'll go back to the 650's and then back to the 750's etc. This is very typical. This is not to work out kinks, though I'm sure the new builds will have the current FW, just standard procedure. If you want the 40 get it. The new one's off the line will not be any different. Just load up the current FW which is easy and you're set.
post #5259 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

I think the concept is if they are securely locked it will negate any unnecessary movement which might result in an HDMI port being loosend. I just happened upon these as i visit Engadget every day and saw some posts mentioning HDMI cables.


Okay, I understand what you are saying about having the connector lock and all that, but what I was wondering is just *how* it locks. I can clearly see some kind of locking mechanism on the connector, and clearly, it must connect to something on the HDMI port, but what/how.

I have just never heard of this before but I have always thought that something like this would have been a good idea right from the start.

These may be so new that you may not have that kind of information and I guess it doesn’t really matter, how, so much but rather *why* has this not been available before if the ports have always had this capability.

It just seems strange that this is just now coming out, at this late date, if the ports have *all this time* had this capability to accept a lock from the connector.
post #5260 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNg420 View Post

8th...

if you have such bad luck with samsung why not get a xbr4 and give it a shot...i mean you mine as well this is your 8th tv
post #5261 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by themistocles View Post

Okay, I understand what you are saying about having the connector lock and all that, but what I was wondering is just *how* it locks. I can clearly see some kind of locking mechanism on the connector, and clearly, it must connect to something on the HDMI port, but what/how.

I have just never heard of this before but I have always thought that something like this would have been a good idea right from the start.

These may be so new that you may not have that kind of information and I guess it doesn't really matter, how, so much but rather *why* has this not been available before if the ports have always had this capability.

It just seems strange that this is just now coming out, at this late date, if the ports have *all this time* had this capability to accept a lock from the connector.

Would you really want an HDMI cable that "locks in"?
What if you, or someone else accidentally pulled on the cable. Instead of the cable just sliding out, the whole tv would be pulled. And you also run the risk of damaging the HDMI port.
I'm not saying that would happen to you, just thinking of the possible flaws of a design like that.
post #5262 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

if you have such bad luck with samsung why not get a xbr4 and give it a shot...i mean you mine as well this is your 8th tv

Dont listen to him. Your bound to get a good one sooner or later lol.
post #5263 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

Dont listen to him. Your bound to get a good one sooner or later lol.

Yea, well it really depends on samsung. The last technician that came out said he could not see a problem with the TV. I was like well look at it like this and hes like well its because of the angle. He told me a bunch of BS and left.

So now I have another technician coming out for another visit for a 2nd opinion. I still have a stuck pixel in the center of the TV too.

If they will opt to give me a refund or exchange, I would either ask for a refund or exchange for a 7 series. I have had three 6 series already. I might just opt the refund, then buy the 7 series on amazon. If that dont work out. I might get one of the new xbrs or z by sony.
post #5264 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNg420 View Post

Yea, well it really depends on samsung. The last technician that came out said he could not see a problem with the TV. I was like well look at it like this and hes like well its because of the angle. He told me a bunch of BS and left.

So now I have another technician coming out for another visit for a 2nd opinion. I still have a stuck pixel in the center of the TV too.

Well i hope you get a technician that isnt such a D&*$, and i wish u the best of luck.
post #5265 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

Well i hope you get a technician that isnt such a D&*$, and i wish u the best of luck.


What I was wondering since I see the pinkish/purplish color, and its only along the sides of the bezel, I wonder if it has something to do with the bezel. Maybe a reflection or something caused by the backlight and the bezel. i dunno if thats possible.
post #5266 of 23505
This may be a really dumb question, but does anyone know if you can remove just the TOC bezel? I mean, are there a set of screws the specifically hold just the translucent bezel in place? I'm pretty good with woodworking and was thinking about building a picture frame style bezel that matched my furniture. I think this tv would look pretty sweet with and solid cherry bezel.

Edit: Oh yeah, I know I'd have to rewire the bezel buttons too. I would probably put then on the side of the new bezel.
post #5267 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ghtpr0w1er View Post

Before you take it back, under detailed picture settings, check to make sure your "black adjust" setting is set to low or medium. I had some minor flashlighting and adjusting this setting completely eliminated the flashlights. On my set, the default setting was "off". Enabling this setting makes all of the blacks look incredible in my opinion. In fact, with this setting on, this tv has the deepest blacks of any LCD I have ever seen. I would recommend anyone experiencing flashlighting or clouding to try out this setting.

Black adjustments are never a good idea to use, at least in my experience to date with all displays.
This could be the first that it aides in a better PQ, but I'd doubt it.
post #5268 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Why is it that the 71 is still a bit more expensive than the 650??

On Amazon they are close in price with the 650 maybe a little more expensive but at B&M stores the 71 is more.

The 71 was last years model and has more bugs.

The 650 just came out and looks to be bug free (with the firmware update).

Anyone care to take a guess!!!

My guess is that the 750s are supposed to replace the 71s as the "top-of-the-line", so they have to maintain that higher price point. Just my guess though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

if you have such bad luck with samsung why not get a xbr4 and give it a shot...i mean you mine as well this is your 8th tv

Lol... you hadn't mentioned the xbr4 in a while. I was beginning to worry about you.
post #5269 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

Would you really want an HDMI cable that "locks in"?What if you, or someone else accidentally pulled on the cable. Instead of the cable just sliding out, the whole tv would be pulled. And you also run the risk of damaging the HDMI port.
I'm not saying that would happen to you, just thinking of the possible flaws of a design like that.

Yes...

Every computer I have ever had has had its video connector locked-in, (screwed-in, in fact) and I have never had a problem. I am not saying that what you are saying could never happen, but it's highly unlikely I would ever do something like that.
post #5270 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by themistocles View Post

Yes...

Every computer I have ever had has had its video connector locked-in, (screwed-in, in fact) and I have never had a problem. I am not saying that what you are saying could never happen, but it's highly unlikely I would ever do something like that.

Yeah that probably wouldnt happen to me either, its just a paranoid thought.
post #5271 of 23505
Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 52a650 from Big River. For those who have ordered from Big River, how long did it take to be delivered? Right now it's scheduled to ship today, the 15th, but it has an estimated delivery date of the 24th. I thought I read that people were getting them allot quicker than this. Does the freight company call to schedule, or should I call them once I see it has shipped? FWIW, I'm in Long Island, NY.
post #5272 of 23505
My 46 inch 650 was just delivered - 1003.M is the software straight out of the box.

I have a story that you Metal that I will tell you in just a moment...
post #5273 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by themistocles View Post

My 46 inch 650 was just delivered - 1003.M is the software straight out of the box.

I have a story that you Metal that I will tell you in just a moment...

1003.M out of the box. Nice!
post #5274 of 23505
hey themistocles
what is your date of manufacture? just wondering when they started putting 1003.M on the units
post #5275 of 23505
Okay Metal, you maybe will appreciate this. I just received my 46 from BB – it's my third since Saturday. I went to BB on Saturday to get a 46” 650. Got it home and put it on the stand – a scratch on the front right top bezel, dang.

Called BB said I would be bringing it back Sunday morning. After listing to them for half an hour saying it was such a little scratch they finally gave me another one. They made me feel bad though.

Got it home, put it on the stand and in the exact same spot – the exact same scratch , WTF! Called them right back and told them the story. The guy Eric was great but his supervisor was not too thrilled with me. She was saying she could not see it, right. Boy, I was really getting a complex but I could not live with that scratch, no-way.

So, now they have no more to give me, lol, boy. So she they would have one delivered to my house today. Thank God it's perfect, lol.
post #5276 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath37 View Post

hey themistocles
what is your date of manufacture? just wondering when they started putting 1003.M on the units


Let me check that for you, be right back...
post #5277 of 23505
2008-04-09 - Remember, Mexico is just 10 minutes from my house here in San Diego.
post #5278 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by themistocles View Post

Okay Metal, you maybe will appreciate this. I just received my 46 from BB – it's my third since Saturday. I went to BB on Saturday to get a 46” 650. Got it home and put it on the stand – a scratch on the front right top bezel, dang.

Called BB said I would be bringing it back Sunday morning. After listing to them for half an hour saying it was such a little scratch they finally gave me another one. They made me feel bad though.

Got it home, put it on the stand and in the exact same spot – the exact same scratch , WTF! Called them right back and told them the story. The guy Eric was great but his supervisor was not too thrilled with me. She was saying she could not see it, right. Boy, I was really getting a complex but I could not live with that scratch, no-way.

So, now they have no more to give me, lol, boy. So she they would have one delivered to my house today. Thank God it's perfect, lol.


LOL, Well i'm glad it worked out for you. BB can be a pain sometimes. When i wanted to return my last one, the store i bought it from would not take it back, and they would not give me a refund, they were complete A-holes. So i took it home and guess what, they put a huge scatch in it, i just couldnt beleive it i was so pissed. First of all they shouldnt of even opened up the tv without my knowledge and then tell me i cant return it. I even went as far as to call consumer relations but they would not do anything for me either. They called BB and the manager claimed they did not scratch it up, which is BS because when the opened it up they handled it so carelessly. They actually dragged the set across the store from the customer service area to the back, idoits. I feel they scratched it up on purpose knowing they were going to let me return it just to be dicks.My gf was so worried that we were gonna be stuck with a scratched up tv, that was done by idiotic BB employess. I told her not to worry, i'll take care of it.

Well long story i just packed up the tv, and travelled a little more then 45miles to another BB that was out of there district. I explained my situation and they gave me no trouble at all, and said that the managers and GM at my local BB should not have treated me the way they did (no customer service skills). The people at this other BB were awesome!. They even said that if i have any trouble, feel free to come back and exchange or return it. So when i got it home and set it up i was very happy to see a perfect tv with no scratches, it's a keeper.

I never settle when i am unhappy, and will go to any lenghts to satisfy my need for perfection lol.
post #5279 of 23505
damn talk about getting a TV hot off the press
post #5280 of 23505
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

Dont listen to him. Your bound to get a good one sooner or later lol.

u think im a sony fan boy huh?? i was just sayin the dudes been through like 7 sets of tv's mostly sammys and i was just sayin it wouldnt hurt to try a different brand i wasnt tellin to buy it i was just suggesting...i am about to settle for teh 40a650 myself
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung LNxxA650 Owner's Thread