or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion! - Page 5

post #121 of 2819
Thread Starter 
I'm sure the BH200 isn't being discontinued. They're brining a BH300 out in a few months and have said publicly they'll continue to support Combos. Samsung are pulling out but not LG.

That's good to hear about fixing the Gamma. Does anyone know if the March firmware will also make my dinner for me and do the washing up afterwards?
post #122 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricef View Post

Anyone else notice they fixed the gamma issue? I used to have to crank up the gamma on my TV. After the update I had to turn it off. The picture now looks great without any adjustment.

I agree, noticed it while watching Kingdom of Heaven again for the lossless soundtrack. With the old fw the picture suffered badly from crushed blacks. Not any more, shadow detail is much improved.
post #123 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by rded View Post

when I press the SERIES OF NUMBERS then ENTER button, nothing happens.... I tried to post the link but I guess I don't have enough posts to do so and Moderator needs to approve it I guess.??

What you have to do is make sure no movie in the tray!!! Then it will work.
post #124 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

... Does anyone know if the March firmware will also make my dinner for me and do the washing up afterwards?

I installed the BH0208314B fw and 702 driver last night. This morning, wife called and had me put ribs in a marinade. Then had to leave work early to grill the ribs, and cleaned up afterward. Then had to rush out to sing for the Thursday evening service. So no dice, even if you sing for it.
post #125 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.christian View Post

If you are a big fan of audio, as I'm guessing you are, I understand why this is important to you. If you have a decent system I think you can, without a doubt, tell the difference between lossless or uncompressed PCM audio and the older, lossy codecs. The "HD" audio sounds warmer, fuller, and presents a more stable, enveloping sound field. I think it's one of the most exciting parts of both the HD DVD and Blu-ray formats. Sure, the 1080p video is great, but people always seem to forget the sound. It's for all these reasons that both the BH200 and many other Blu-ray players were unacceptable to me. I WANTED THE AUDIO, DAMMIT!

Is your receiver capable of decoding the new HD codecs? If so, you should be able to bitstream the DTS HD/MA to the receiver and see if it is actually putting the sound out. But, of course, if you're asking this question than I'm assuming that your receiver doesn't. Mine does and I should have my BH200 is a couple of days. If your question hasn't been answered by then, I'll be happy to play around with stuff and see what I can find out for you.

On a side, theoretically speaking, any machine that can decode DTS HD should be able to also decode DTS HD Master Audio. The way the decoding works is essentially the same, it's just the Master Audio is less compressed and at a higher bit rate, therefore is lossless. So, if the BH200 is decoding DTS HD at all, it SHOULD be perfectly capable of doing the Master Audio as well. I don't think you'd really get one without the other.

-C.

Thanks for the response Casey.....I hope that you are correct about your last paragraph. I just picked up the BH 200 yesterday and I put it through some tests.

MY SET UP :
BH 200 ----HDMI out to------> Integra (hdmi 1.1 AVR) ------from Integra--------> PIoner Kuro 1080p 72hz.
Speakers: I have Energy Reference series RC 50's & Velodyne sub- SPLR 1000.

In reference to telling the difference between lossy & lossless, the answer is yes, I believe I can..... and in my sytem, that difference becomes very apparent at times. Having said that, the reasons for my DTS MA vs DTS HR question, is that, once all you have listened to for the last year has been DD THD & PCM uncompressed, it would seem that it would be hard to distinguish between a DTS HR & DTS MA, especially since I have never heard either one of them.


Ok, so you know I CAN"T BITSTREAM, but I can send all the lossless codecs to the Integra as Multichannel PCM.

I tested The following disks:

"I Robot" BD- the sound was incredible! I hit the button and the BH 200 showed the screen with an audio setting of DTS HD 5.1
POP UP Menus - Worked flawlessly.

"300" HD DVD- the sound was incredible again! (NO different from my A2) I hit the button and the BH 200 showed the screen with an audio setting of - DD THD 5.1
POP UP Menus - Worked flawlessly again.

I was wondering if my setting on the audio menu is supposed to be as follows:
HDMI = PCM Multi-ch
SPDIF = PCM Stereo (automatically defaults to this if HDMI = Multi- Ch)
Sampling Freq = 96 Khz
DRC = OFF

For the sampling frequency, MY AVR says it can handle 5.1 ch, 32-96 Khz 16/20/24 bit. but it also says it can handle 2ch linear PCM 32-192khz 16/20/24 bit. Should I have selected the 192 khz or leave it at 96 Khz.

Finally the 1080P/24 issue.... I was able to go into the menu on the BH 200 and select the 1080p mode to "on". The problem is, that the Pioneer's Cinema modes are grayed out and they only do this, if the TV is receiving a 1080p/60. I switched over to my Samsung BDP 1200 which does the 1080p/24 and the modes on the pioneer were ok.
This leads me to the question... since I got this BH 200 new, should I have loaded a previous/January FW first and than the latest March FW? Could this be the cause of my not getting the 1080P 24? Anyone ????


Thanks

Paul
post #126 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubertrout View Post

I understand that the model will be discontinued. My concern is that combo players generally are being discontinued and that it may be a now or never sort of thing. Samsung has already cancelled their follow-on model, and their existing unit will be discontinued shortly.

Samsung pulled a quick and dirty on all their combo customers - a disgusting, typical corporate decision. I wouldn't be surprised if they would never release the oft-touted "May update" which supposed to fix the complete lack of lossless multichannel in their BD-UP5000.

LG, on the contrary, came out very positively and right then when it was the least attractive move to do: right after Toshiba pulled the same quick and dirty on all of us, HD DVD owners in return for getting the big slice of Sony's PS3 business - what a cynical game plan Toshiba played with us! -, LG simply said they will keep supporting us. This speaks volumes about the difference between these companies and if this FW back-and-forth sorts out and it becomes official again - even if tagged as beta FW - I think I will buy this unit, LG deserves my money then.
post #127 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

For the sampling frequency, MY AVR says it can handle 5.1 ch, 32-96 Khz 16/20/24 bit. but it also says it can handle 2ch linear PCM 32-192khz 16/20/24 bit. Should I have selected the 192 khz or leave it at 96 Khz.

Leave it on 96 as it should match your player's output.
post #128 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Thanks for the response Casey.....I hope that you are correct about your last paragraph. I just picked up the BH 200 yesterday and I put it through some tests.

MY SET UP :
BH 200 ----HDMI out to------> Integra (hdmi 1.1 AVR) ------from Integra--------> PIoner Kuro 1080p 72hz.
Speakers: I have Energy Reference series RC 50's & Velodyne sub- SPLR 1000.

In reference to telling the difference between lossy & lossless, the answer is yes, I believe I can..... and in my sytem, that difference becomes very apparent at times. Having said that, the reasons for my DTS MA vs DTS HR question, is that, once all you have listened to for the last year has been DD THD & PCM uncompressed, it would seem that it would be hard to distinguish between a DTS HR & DTS MA, especially since I have never heard either one of them.


Ok, so you know I CAN"T BITSTREAM, but I can send all the lossless codecs to the Integra as Multichannel PCM.

I tested The following disks:

"I Robot" BD- the sound was incredible! I hit the button and the BH 200 showed the screen with an audio setting of DTS HD 5.1
POP UP Menus - Worked flawlessly.

"300" HD DVD- the sound was incredible again! (NO different from my A2) I hit the button and the BH 200 showed the screen with an audio setting of - DD THD 5.1
POP UP Menus - Worked flawlessly again.

I was wondering if my setting on the audio menu is supposed to be as follows:
HDMI = PCM Multi-ch
SPDIF = PCM Stereo (automatically defaults to this if HDMI = Multi- Ch)
Sampling Freq = 96 Khz
DRC = OFF

For the sampling frequency, MY AVR says it can handle 5.1 ch, 32-96 Khz 16/20/24 bit. but it also says it can handle 2ch linear PCM 32-192khz 16/20/24 bit. Should I have selected the 192 khz or leave it at 96 Khz.

Finally the 1080P/24 issue.... I was able to go into the menu on the BH 200 and select the 1080p mode to "on". The problem is, that the Pioneer's Cinema modes are grayed out and they only do this, if the TV is receiving a 1080p/60. I switched over to my Samsung BDP 1200 which does the 1080p/24 and the modes on the pioneer were ok.
This leads me to the question... since I got this BH 200 new, should I have loaded a previous/January FW first and than the latest March FW? Could this be the cause of my not getting the 1080P 24? Anyone ????


Thanks

Paul

Cinema mode works fine on my pro-150? I noticed after the update that the resolution set to HDMI auto was sending 480P on SD so I set it to HDMI 1080P. Maybe that was the problem?
Also, I have found you may need to turn off the player and then back on at least for some of the sound settings to change properly.
I went straight from the Nov. to the Mar. FW.
post #129 of 2819
One question came into my mind: since the FW is exactly the same for both EU and US players, isn't it possible to make this unit somehow region-free...? It would make it immediately the most wanted, perfect player...
post #130 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye3.1 View Post

I agree, noticed it while watching Kingdom of Heaven again for the lossless soundtrack. With the old fw the picture suffered badly from crushed blacks. Not any more, shadow detail is much improved.

That's funny because I thought the Bh200 just didnt deliver deep blacks. I had the BD-UP5000 and it deliver deep blacks. I had to turn on the black menu for the player and turned the Black corrector for my TV(52"XBR4). Before I did this, I was very disappointed with Batman Begins and The Matrix as these movies are the litmus test for deep blacks. After setting adjustments its ok now... It stil is not profile 1.1.
post #131 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

Leave it on 96 as it should match your player's output.

Thanks, I will leave it like this unless somebody gives me a better reason otherwise..... I played a musical Bd "chris Botti" which is encoded with both DD 5.1 & pcm 96 khz 24 bit, the Bh 200 played this beautifully and mu AVR showed Multi Ch 96 khz.

thanks

Paul
post #132 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by elube View Post

Cinema mode works fine on my pro-150? I noticed after the update that the resolution set to HDMI auto was sending 480P on SD so I set it to HDMI 1080P. Maybe that was the problem?
Also, I have found you may need to turn off the player and then back on at least for some of the sound settings to change properly.
I went straight from the Nov. to the Mar. FW.

Thanks elube, I have the BH 200 set to output 1080P in the menu under . I have also set, in the menu 1080P to ON.

The weird thing is that I am getting an error message from the TV saying that "The device cannot be operated, please check the connection (CEC100)", but the AQ & PQ are still outstanding both for HD & BD and all disks menus features PIP etc have worked flawlessly, albeit I know that I am only getting 1080P/60 and not 1080p/24.

I had Canadian Firmware - BH02071119P on my player (new as of yesterday) before I loaded this March Fw with all the goods.

Tell me what are your settings for the HDMI control on your Pio 150? I am refering to the following:
Power Off control
Power on ready
Hold sound status

Also, are you going direct to the set or through a receiver for hook up?
It is either something here or perhaps the HDMI cable (unlikely),for it was the same cable that my HD DVD A2 was using and I never had a problem.

Thanks

Paul
post #133 of 2819
For those unaware, a word of caution for Beta firmware users here. A number of discs are causing a repeatable "Nuclear audio glitch" to occur when streaming HD-MA to specific AVRs. It seems to happen with Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra, and possibly Pioneer AVRs.

Here is a summary post from the thread in the BD Player Forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=261

Add 3:10 to Yuma to the list of titles.

Anyone had this happen with a BH200?
post #134 of 2819
Tell me what are your settings for the HDMI control on your Pio 150? I am refering to the following:
Power Off control
Power on ready
Hold sound status

Also, are you going direct to the set or through a receiver for hook up?
It is either something here or perhaps the HDMI cable (unlikely),for it was the same cable that my HD DVD A2 was using and I never had a problem.

Thanks

Paul[/quote]

My settings for the HDMI control are off sot he Power off control, Power on ready and the hold status are all grayed out but say they are all on.
My set up is BH200 - pio 94txh via HDMI 1.3 - Pio pro-150 via HDMI 1.3
Hope that helps.
post #135 of 2819
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

For the sampling frequency, MY AVR says it can handle 5.1 ch, 32-96 Khz 16/20/24 bit. but it also says it can handle 2ch linear PCM 32-192khz 16/20/24 bit. Should I have selected the 192 khz or leave it at 96 Khz.

I believe it's usually 2 Channel at 192Khz but 96Khz in anything more than 2 Channel. I guess 192Khz is just so high.

I'd select 96Khz as that's what 5.1 is capable of. There are a few PCM soundtracks that are 24-Bit/96Khz but I've not seen any that are 192Khz. I'd imagine because of this limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

This leads me to the question... since I got this BH 200 new, should I have loaded a previous/January FW first and than the latest March FW? Could this be the cause of my not getting the 1080P 24? Anyone?

I've been upgrading firmware for years generally speaking and usually this is how it works:

Do I need to install any older Firmware first (i.e - the 2007-01-24 firmware)?

No. Newer firmware includes all bug fixes and improvements added in older firmware, when you install Firmware you completely overwrite the existing one.


That was taken from my FAQ I've started. That said there is absolutely no harm trying the January one then re-applying the March one. Personally I wouldn't though. Also remember upgrading Firmware always brings with it a risk (usually very small) you'll brick the player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

One question came into my mind: since the FW is exactly the same for both EU and US players, isn't it possible to make this unit somehow region-free...? It would make it immediately the most wanted, perfect player...

Samsungmaster who works for LG has said both the BH100 and BH200 can be made SD DVD MR and the BH200 BD MR but wasn't able to say how.

It implied using back door routes though and not a simple remote hack.
post #136 of 2819
Thread Starter 
Can I please make a suggestion:

We use the Owners Thread for all talk of the LG BH200 but this thread just for Firmware related talk.


How does that sound? Otherwise we're just going to have two threads and users possibly posting twice in each of them. It's just a suggestion, feel free to disagree
post #137 of 2819
After reading this news about the new awesome BH200 firmware, I decided to pick up a unit and retire my A35 to another room or a new home.

Once installed, I immediately updated to the new firmware. DTS HD MA was passed via bitstream with no problems.

I then checked the internet connection and checked for new firmware, I saw that that 200 driver was there. I downloaded that and then lost my DTS HD MA. I re-applied the new firmware and all is working as it should be with the 200 driver.

I have to say that this seems to be a real nice combo player. I want to kick myself as it was my first player of choice late last year, but I jumped on the A35 after hearing about the the BH200's short comings that were waiting for this firmware update. I was happy with my PS3 for Blu.

Well now I am extremely excited with the BH200 as it seems to be a pretty complete player now!

I hope we still get the 2.0 update.

Later
post #138 of 2819
Has anyone been able to 100% confirm DTS-MA internal decoding yet?
post #139 of 2819
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post

I then checked the internet connection and checked for new firmware, I saw that that 200 driver was there. I downloaded that and then lost my DTS HD MA. I re-applied the new firmware and all is working as it should be with the 200 driver.

I presume you mean the one now on LG's website (24/01/08) and not the Network driver?

The latter is obtained by connecting the BH200 to an Ethernet port, the former by downloading it yourself. Thanks.
post #140 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye3.1 View Post

For those unaware, a word of caution for Beta firmware users here. A number of discs are causing a repeatable "Nuclear audio glitch" to occur when streaming HD-MA to specific AVRs. It seems to happen with Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra, and possibly Pioneer AVRs.

Here is a summary post from the thread in the BD Player Forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=261

Add 3:10 to Yuma to the list of titles.

Anyone had this happen with a BH200?

Link doesn't work.
post #141 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

Link doesn't work.

Take 2, if this one tanks the same info is in the first post of the DTS Master speaker damage thread in the BD Player Forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=261
post #142 of 2819
I updated the firmware of my Canadian BH200 (Jan 08 build date) on Tuesday......to the BH02080314B. I have previously confirmed ......no more audio drop-outs, no more video drop-outs. Today I have installed a Denon 988 in place of my Yamaha 659. I can confirm that my LG is bitstreaming DTS Master, and DD Tru HD ....from Blu and HDDVD.
post #143 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5harkology View Post

Has anyone been able to 100% confirm DTS-MA internal decoding yet?

No. Having read through all the posts now since the "beta" firmware was released several times, I can tell you with almost complete certainty that the BH200 is not decoding DTS-HD/MA internally. However, it is properly bitstreaming it to compatible receivers.

As I said in an early post, I don't think it will ever encode the DTS internally. That was never promised or mentioned by any one who works at LG and has leaked various tidbits to us here on the forums. Considering that only a small minority of Blu-ray players (and no HD DVD players) offer internal DTS-HD/MA decoding, I personally doubt that this is on the top of LG's list of things to do with the BH200. Of course, I've been wrong before.

-C.
post #144 of 2819
Thread Starter 
The consensus seems to be DTS-HD is Bitstreaming only, which would bear out what Osofast said those weeks back:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post13280409

However there is this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...8&postcount=48

Which is why I changed the first post to say it's both. What do we now think? hawkeye3.1 is the only user who seems to say it can Onboard decode DTS-HD (i.e - DTS MA & DTS-HD HR).
post #145 of 2819
My German HD DVD "Der Geist von Mae Nak" has a German DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack.

When I pass-trough this to my Denon AVR-4308, I can see DTS-HD MSTR in the Denon display. The Denon decodes it with 96 kHz and the format used is 3/4/.1. This is awesome.

The Thai soundtrack is DTS Surround with 48 kHz and has the format 3/2/.1

When I set the BH-200 to PCM Multi-CH output with this HD DVD (DTS-HD master audio 7.1), I only get a 96 kHz signal with the format 3/2/.1 which is still way better than the 48kHz 3/2/.1 signal that I get when I let the BH-200 re-encode the DTS signal internally.

So I am positively sure this is only the DTS core. The BH-200 does not process DTS-HD internally. The only way to get DTS-HD is to pass-trough the bitstream to an AV receiver that has the DTS-HD decoding capabilities.

Did anyone notice that the initial load progress bar changed from red to blue with firmware BH0208314B?

I wonder if this is just a coincidence or if this has a special meaning.

Does anyone know if the progress bar has a red or blue color with the January firmware?
post #146 of 2819
It makes sense as even A35 only extracts DTS Core when it decodes DTS-MA.

As for 'nuclear pop' audio glitch I haven't seen any of this reported with this particluar player and Yamaha is already issuing FW updates for its effected - 3800 and 1800 - AVRs so likely Onkyo etc will follow suit.
post #147 of 2819
With the "new" march firmware, I can confirm that the pop happens with the Fly when streaming DTS-MA to the Onkyo 705. I've skipped/rewinded back to the spot a few times and it happens consistently. With Fantastic Four (one of the titles reported to have this problem), it happened once at the chapter where it was reported, but I could not get it to happen again after rewinding/skipping back.

Short of a firmware upgrade to my Onkyo to fix the problem somehow, I will have to keep track of the problematic titles and make sure I stream it as PCM before watching them. I have three to date (The Fly, Fantastic Four, and Close Encounters).
post #148 of 2819
yikes, doesn't Onkyo require shipping units (at least some, like the 605) back to them for the upgrade?
post #149 of 2819
Havn't seen this problem posted yet with the March firmware:


using the menu pop up button during Bourne Ultimatum playback after a menu pops out briefly your returned to the menu screen at the beginning of the movie.

the workaround is that you can use the directional pad to open the menu properly during playback and not interrupt the movie.

its no show stopper, but can anyone else confirm this as well?
post #150 of 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardustOne View Post

My German HD DVD "Der Geist von Mae Nak" has a German DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack.

When I pass-trough this to my Denon AVR-4308, I can see DTS-HD MSTR in the Denon display. The Denon decodes it with 96 kHz and the format used is 3/4/.1. This is awesome.

The Thai soundtrack is DTS Surround with 48 kHz and has the format 3/2/.1

When I set the BH-200 to PCM Multi-CH output with this HD DVD (DTS-HD master audio 7.1), I only get a 96 kHz signal with the format 3/2/.1 which is still way better than the 48kHz 3/2/.1 signal that I get when I let the BH-200 re-encode the DTS signal internally.

So I am positively sure this is only the DTS core. The BH-200 does not process DTS-HD internally. The only way to get DTS-HD is to pass-trough the bitstream to an AV receiver that has the DTS-HD decoding capabilities.

Did anyone notice that the initial load progress bar changed from red to blue with firmware BH0208314B?

I wonder if this is justa coincidence or if this has a special meaning.

Does anyone know if the progress bar has a red or blue color with the January firmware?

Ok. DTS-HD MA is NOT decoded internally by the BH200. This has been my thought as well, but was not 100% certain since I have never heard DTS-HD MA, and did not hear any difference with the update. So, I figured DTS-HD MA either sucked or this player was not decoding it correctly, if at all. I only have the ability to use the MCPCM output on the BH200. Thank you for verifying.

Now that you mention it, I have noticed that the initial load progress bar has changed from red to blue w/ the BH0208314B update. Good eye. Not sure about the January update, or if the color change means anything.

I was able to download the extras from the web for Transformers with the BH200. The movie was fun to watch with all the pop-up video info. At first I thought it might be just more info. about the cast/director, but it actually had more insight about the characters as well. When I downloaded the content to the BH200, it did show graphically, with a progress bar type display, how much space the download required in the BH200 and how much space was left in the BH200.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dual Format Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion!