or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LNXXA650 Calibration/Settings Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LNXXA650 Calibration/Settings Thread

post #1 of 3905
Thread Starter 
Hey all, Wanted to start a Calibration thread for this bad boy. I am not an expert and there isn't that many owners yet. But I guess I could get the ball rolling so here are my settings as of now. I am not an expert and please feel free to critique my settings as much as possible. Just be nice about it, I hurt easily LOL


Movie Mode
Backlight- 5
Contrast- 92
Brightness- 45
sharpness- 0-20 depends for me.
color- 54
tint- G52/r48

Detailed settings

Black adjust- medium
Dynamic Contrast-Low
Gamma-0
Color Space-Native for now . This is where I will need help with. Seems like their is a lot of tweaking you can do here.

White balance-All default for now. Need help with this also.
Flesh Tone- -2
Edge enhancement- on

Picture Options
Color tone- Cool 1
Size-Just scan. ( you can adjust the screen position with just scan. Well a little bit of adjustment.

Digital NR- off
HDMI Black level- Low
Amp 120hz- High

Set up
Energy Saving -Low

There you go guys. these numbers will be changing A lot i'm sure LOL

PS yeah I mispelled Settings LOL

PSS I am a noob, fixed title name. My keyboard seems a bit jumpy today. Yeah that's it, My keyboard HAHA
post #2 of 3905
Thanks for doing this Collosus, can't wait to get home and try these settings out.

Mosh~~
post #3 of 3905
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Mosh View Post

Thanks for doing this Collosus, can't wait to get home and try these settings out.

Mosh~~

You're welcome man.

So far I have had one problem. My ps3 wouldn't run right using HDMI 3while in the main menu at 1080p 60hz. if I ran a bd at the 1080p/24
It was fine. Switched it to hdmi and works fine now in any setting. i hooked up my Xbox 360 to hdmi at 1080p and that is running fine also. So... I don't know LOL
post #4 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLLOSUS76 View Post

You're welcome man.

So far I have had one problem. My ps3 wouldn't run right using HDMI 3while in the main menu at 1080p 60hz. if I ran a bd at the 1080p/24
It was fine. Switched it to hdmi and works fine now in any setting. i hooked up my Xbox 360 to hdmi at 1080p and that is running fine also. So... I don't know LOL

Maybe you had a weird kink or something in the cable. As long as it went away it it's working it should be fine.

Did you try re-hooking the PS3 up after you did the 360 to see if it worked then?

Mosh~~

PS: My TV has still only shut off the 1 time and haven't had it do it since.
post #5 of 3905
finally a settings thread! I too need some help on white balance and color settings. Does anybody else notice the flesh tones seem a bit on the red side? What should I adjust to fix that, I tried the flesh tone setting but it didn't help much.
post #6 of 3905
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Mosh View Post

Maybe you had a weird kink or something in the cable. As long as it went away it it's working it should be fine.

Did you try re-hooking the PS3 up after you did the 360 to see if it worked then?

Mosh~~

PS: My TV has still only shut off the 1 time and haven't had it do it since.


Yeah, it was weird. Didn't try switching them again. will do that in a bit. But again, besides that everything is perfect.
post #7 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by dev1os View Post

finally a settings thread! I too need some help on white balance and color settings. Does anybody else notice the flesh tones seem a bit on the red side? What should I adjust to fix that, I tried the flesh tone setting but it didn't help much.

Share your settings, maybe we can figure it out.

Mosh~~
post #8 of 3905
I agree that the out-of-the-box settings seem a bit red.

I'm glad we've got this thread going, I'm finding the number of options overwhelming.

Also: AMP - especially on high - gives me a weird feeling of vertigo, almost. It's a little disorienting. Does anyone else experience that?

And unlike Manaburn, I don't care for any of the entertainment modes. Sport is just blown out bright, Cinema is a little on the dark/washed-out side, and Game seems to give the picture a more harsh appearance. I've been working purely with the Standard mode.
post #9 of 3905
Thread Starter 
Bump
post #10 of 3905
I love to see some picture from this sweet tv in action
post #11 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLLOSUS76 View Post

Hey all, Wanted to start a Calibration thread for this bad boy. I am not an expert and there isn't that many owners yet. But I guess I could get the ball rolling so here are my settings as of now. I am not an expert and please feel free to critique my settings as much as possible. Just be nice about it, I hurt easily LOL


Movie Mode
Backlight- 5
Contrast- 92
Brightness- 45
sharpness- 0-20 depends for me.
color- 54
tint- G52/r48

Detailed settings

Black adjust- medium
Dynamic Contrast-Low
Gamma-0
Color Space-Native for now . This is where I will need help with. Seems like their is a lot of tweaking you can do here.

White balance-All default for now. Need help with this also.
Flesh Tone- -2
Edge enhancement- on

Picture Options
Color tone- Cool 1
Size-Just scan. ( you can adjust the screen position with just scan. Well a little bit of adjustment.

Digital NR- off
HDMI Black level- Low
Amp 120hz- High

Set up
Energy Saving -Low

There you go guys. these numbers will be changing A lot i'm sure LOL

PS yeah I mispelled Settings LOL

PSS I am a noob, fixed title name. My keyboard seems a bit jumpy today. Yeah that's it, My keyboard HAHA

What is the difference between HDMI Black Level and black adjust.

BTW, I noticed on the 1st page of the owners manual it says burn in Can happen with these sets, so limit fixed object viewing to like 5% max. I though plasmas got burn in, not LCDs........
post #12 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeechuk View Post

What is the difference between HDMI Black Level and black adjust.

BTW, I noticed on the 1st page of the owners manual it says burn in Can happen with these sets, so limit fixed object viewing to like 5% max. I though plasmas got burn in, not LCDs........

The HDMI black level is supposed to be used for dvd/bd sources that utilize BTB (blacker than black) or "extended" I believe. Don't worry about the burn-in, they are just trying to cover their butts. These LCD's have virtually no burn-in type issues. In fact, I have never heard of anyone with a burn-in issue with ANY LCD. But, do you plan on watching a fixed object for more than 5% of your viewing time anyway??? That is what picture frames are for, lol.

Edit: The black adjust setting will just give you deeper blacks, but it may be at the expense of shadow detail. Just depends on your other settings.
post #13 of 3905
I have clouding in both sets i got so far

Please note the pic below, it looks worse then it actually is, the camera just exageratted it some beacause this was the only way I could get it to show up in the picture. The screen was actually black.

post #14 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNg420 View Post

I have clouding in both sets i got so far

Please note the pic below, it looks worse then it actually is, the camera just exageratted it some beacause this was the only way I could get it to show up in the picture. The screen was actually black.


I am glad i am not the only one with tv hell lol
post #15 of 3905
My TV has only shut off and back on once. It also makes an unusual clicking sound from time to time. It hasn't ever done it when there was a signal going to it so I can only assume it is searching for a signal which causes the noise. Which is nothing that I would worry over. Neither of these are anything that I am concerned about.

Has anyone gotten their set professionally calibrated yet? I'm curious what those settings would look like.
post #16 of 3905
Ok, well I messed with the TV for a while and here is what I wound up with. I'll mess with it a bit more later and see if I can't come up with something a little better.



Mode: Standard


Backlight: 7
Contrast: 73
Brightness: 41
sharpness: 0
color: 44
tint: G54/r46

Detailed settings

Black adjust: high
Dynamic Contrastff
Gamma:0
Color Space:Native (I didn't mess with this.)

White balance: I didn't mess with this.
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge enhancement: off

Picture Options

Color tone: Normal (for some reason I couldn't access the warm settings???)
Size:16:9

Digital NR: off
HDMI Black level: Normal (greyed out)
Amp 120hz: Medium

Set up
Energy Saving :Off



Let me know what you guys think. I need to try out some more disc's with it as it seems most of the content that I am using has some sort of stylized color pallet from the director. IE: Sahara is Tan, Mr. Brooks is washed out, Invincible is gold, lol. I'm a little tired of messing with it right now, but it looks fine the way I have it set. I'll do some more tweaking later.
post #17 of 3905
BUMP good job guys, keep up the good work! (Still about 2 weeks away from ownership)
post #18 of 3905
Ok, the clicking seems to be only when the TV is first turned on, with no sources, or right when it is turned off. Either way, it is still not an issue since it doesn't hurt the viewing.


Ok, I was having a bit of black crush with those settings so I have changed them a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post

Ok, well I messed with the TV for a while and here is what I wound up with. I'll mess with it a bit more later and see if I can't come up with something a little better. I adjusted the brightness to 47.



Mode: Standard


Backlight: 7
Contrast: 73
Brightness: 47
sharpness: 0
color: 44
tint: G54/r46

Detailed settings

Black adjust: high
Dynamic Contrastff
Gamma:0
Color Space:Native (I didn't mess with this.)

White balance: I didn't mess with this.
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge enhancement: off

Picture Options

Color tone: Normal (for some reason I couldn't access the warm settings???)
Size:16:9

Digital NR: off
HDMI Black level: Normal (greyed out)
Amp 120hz: Medium

Set up
Energy Saving :Off



Let me know what you guys think. I need to try out some more disc's with it as it seems most of the content that I am using has some sort of stylized color pallet from the director. IE: Sahara is Tan, Mr. Brooks is washed out, Invincible is gold, lol. I'm a little tired of messing with it right now, but it looks fine the way I have it set. I'll do some more tweaking later.

There is still more black crush than on sports mode, however, sports mode is certainly over blown. So I am going to try to emulate it with settings and then tone it down. We shall see how that works out.
post #19 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post

Ok, the clicking seems to be only when the TV is first turned on, with no sources, or right when it is turned off. Either way, it is still not an issue since it doesn't hurt the viewing.


Ok, I was having a bit of black crush with those settings so I have changed them a little.



There is still more black crush than on sports mode, however, sports mode is certainly over blown. So I am going to try to emulate it with settings and then tone it down. We shall see how that works out.

Can't wait to get home and try some of these. Whats size set do you have and what firmware, 1001.5?

Mosh~~
post #20 of 3905
Just got my 650 yesterday and it shut off once and that was when i was trying to see if my onkyo receiver remote would work with this new samsung tv and cable box. Other than that no other issues to report.
post #21 of 3905
Ok, I think I nailed down what the sports settings are. There seems to be a very slight difference between these settings and sports, but it is EXTREMELY subtle. In fact, I think you would be hard pressed to know the difference if there were two TV's side by side with these settings and sports, so this will be my starting point.

Here is my interpretation of the sports entertainment settings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post



Mode: Standard


Backlight: 10
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 45
sharpness: 50
color: 50
tint: G50/r50

Detailed settings

Black adjust: off
Dynamic Contrast: high
Gamma:0
Color Space:Native (I didn't mess with this.)

White balance: I didn't mess with this.
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge enhancement: off

Picture Options

Color tone: Cool 1
Size:16:9

Digital NR: off
HDMI Black level: Normal (greyed out)
Amp 120hz: Medium

Set up
Energy Saving :Off

Ok, wish me luck guys... I'll let you know what I change and keep you updated. I rather like my old settings with the brightness at 47, so I may return to those.
post #22 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Mosh View Post

Can't wait to get home and try some of these. Whats size set do you have and what firmware, 1001.5?

Mosh~~

I have the 46, how do I check the firmware?
post #23 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post

I have the 46, how do I check the firmware?

Go to Setup, highlight SW Upgrade and press info.
post #24 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post

I have the 46, how do I check the firmware?

You have to get to the part where it says software update or something like that in your menu, highlight it then press info.

When I get home i can tell you more thoroughly.
Mosh~~
post #25 of 3905
Ok, when I go to the software upgrade part and hit info I get the following

Module: T-AMBAUSC-1001.5, Date: Panel: 46AML_530A, MICOM: T-AMBAUSM-1001 RFS: T-AMBAUSC-20080212, 2008-02-15

So I guess the TV was made on the 15th of February 2008 and I guess the firmware is 1001.5, but I could be wrong. Is that what you were looking for?
post #26 of 3905
Here are my new settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post


Mode: Standard


Backlight: 8
Contrast: 74
Brightness: 46
sharpness: 0
color: 37
tint: G52/r48

Detailed settings

Black adjust: off (this seems to cause black crush)
Dynamic Contrast: low
Gamma:0
Color Space:Native (I didn't mess with this.)

White balance: (I didn't mess with this.)
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge enhancement: off

Picture Options

Color tone: Cool1
Size:16:9

Digital NR: off
HDMI Black level: Normal (greyed out)
Amp 120hz: Medium

Set up
Energy Saving :Off

Try them out and let me know what you think. It seems to have nice color and black levels without black crush or a red push to the skin tones.
post #27 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post

Ok, the clicking seems to be only when the TV is first turned on, with no sources, or right when it is turned off. Either way, it is still not an issue since it doesn't hurt the viewing.


Ok, I was having a bit of black crush with those settings so I have changed them a little.



There is still more black crush than on sports mode, however, sports mode is certainly over blown. So I am going to try to emulate it with settings and then tone it down. We shall see how that works out.

For the black crush, you might want to see if turning down black adjust helps any. You might also want to up your contrast a bit.

Edit: nevermind, looks like you found out about the black adjust.
post #28 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

For the black crush, you might want to see if turning down black adjust helps any. You might also want to up your contrast a bit.

Edit: nevermind, looks like you found out about the black adjust.

Yeah, it took a bot of work to get the black levels good without the use of the black adjust. So we shall see how these settings hold out. It seems that there is a big loss of detail even with the black adjust on low, which I didn't notice before, however, once you notice it, well, you know how that goes.

So, I was using some of the dark clothing found in the movie 'Swordfish' for setting that up. We shall see how everyone likes them and what improvements can be made. I am curious to know if these settings work well on the other firmwares as well.

I think I got the sports settings damn near spot on, so the previous thoughts that the entertainment settings aren't duplicatable is clearly incorrect.
post #29 of 3905
Well here it goes. I just got my LN52A650. I used the settings that leftoverchinnese has posted, and they look o.k but not as good as i had expected. Had the Tv reset once in the first 20 min but nothing since. I have my ps3 hooked up to my new set and just set it to 1080p from 1080i, Had a 60xbr1 that took a crap on me, When I started my ps3 up things looked kind of blurry and very very bright. Words in the xmb looked the worst. I have the tv set up on Entertainment mode, Game. And that seems just way to bright, you can not adjust any of the settings under Entertainment mode. Does anyone else have a ps3 hooked up and what settings are you using? Maybe its just all the time i spent with the xbr1 rear projection, now going to a LCD will take some getting used to. I dont know. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated
post #30 of 3905
Which settings of mine did you use? The first ones I posted were way too dark, I'll try using the THX calibrator that comes with T2 later, but as I understand it that one doesn't work all to well; something wrong with the way it was authored or something.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LNXXA650 Calibration/Settings Thread