or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LNXXA650 Calibration/Settings Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LNXXA650 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 3905
EVIL4BLUE,

which color tone is this for? So is Movie mode the closest for getting 6500k?
post #122 of 3905
I'm not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me or not, but I feel like when I got the TV this morning, when I pressed E.Mode, it was switching between Normal, Game, Sports and Cinema. Now Normal has been switched out for OFF. Am I imagining there was a Normal setting before, or did I mess something up?
post #123 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteGuy77 View Post

I'm not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me or not, but I feel like when I got the TV this morning, when I pressed E.Mode, it was switching between Normal, Game, Sports and Cinema. Now Normal has been switched out for OFF. Am I imagining there was a Normal setting before, or did I mess something up?

When you hit the cinema mode button on the remote, it cycles through Game, Sports, Cinema and off. So i think you may have been imagining that lol.

But hey when you have it set to off, Then it very well is in normal mode if thats the setup you currently have without entertainment mode on.
post #124 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesj View Post

My Korean friend helped me to translate the setting from the review
TV Movie 1080/24p
Back light 5 5 3
Contrast 92 92 92
Brightness 45 44 44
Sharpness 17 17 17
Color 50 53 50
Tint 60/40 55/45 51/49
BlackAdj off off off
DynContr off off off
gamma 0 -1 -1
ColorSpace Auto A A
Whitebalance N/A B B
FleshTone -5 -6 0
EdgeEnh off off off
ColorTone cool warm2 warm2
ScreenSize JustScan
DigitalNoise off off off
FilmMode auto auto auto
AutoMotionP low low low/off

Table B
Roffset Goffset Boffset Rgain Ggain Bgain
25 27 26 23 28 24
Table A
Red Green blue Yellow Cyan Magnenta
Red 50 42 0 48 36 41
Green 0 50 12 52 50 11
Blue 5 0 5 0 50 60

Where is this review and why are there 3 sets of numbers for every setting?
post #125 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiruvil View Post

EVIL4BLUE,

which color tone is this for? So is Movie mode the closest for getting 6500k?

I did this as a learning excercise for myself and just used the defaults for movie mode. I think the tone was warm2. I've put this whole project on hold until my replacement TV gets here this afternoon. No sense in spending hours calibrating a tv I'm exchanging. Anyway, I had this initial set of data and decided to post it if anyone was interested in looking at it.

I will try and work up a full calibration soon and post my results.
post #126 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcfan View Post

Where is this review and why are there 3 sets of numbers for every setting?

here's the link of the review
http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fhifinet.pe.kr%2Fpodol%2F645&langpair=ko|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8
post #127 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcfan View Post

Where is this review and why are there 3 sets of numbers for every setting?

Look at the top of the numbers. one set is for TV viewing, one is for movie mode and one is for hdmi running 1080p @ 24hz. just follow the lines down for each input and set accordingly. I am going to try those settings again tonight when I get home. I thought they brought a bit of green push tomy set, but will try again, maybe I missed something.

Mosh~~
post #128 of 3905
"Picture options" and "detail setting" stay the same when you change from "movie mode" to "standard mode." But I want them to change because I want to set up "movie mode" just for movies with "film mode" on auto and 120hz off and then "standard mode" to be the opposite, with a few other differences. Can anyone suggest a way? Anyway to build profiles?
post #129 of 3905
Hi guys, I am trying to really max out my TV. Can you guys please post the setting you have for Standard, Dynamic and Movie modes.
Thanks,
Giles
post #130 of 3905
Well that didn't work so NM.

Mosh~~
post #131 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Mosh View Post

Well that didn't work so NM.

Mosh~~


TV Movie 1080/24p
Back light 5 5 3
Contrast 92 92 92
Brightness 45 44 44
Sharpness 17 17 17
Color 50 53 50
Tint 60/40 55/45 51/49
BlackAdj off off off
DynContr off off off
gamma 0 -1 -1
ColorSpace Auto A A
Whitebalance N/A B B
FleshTone -5 -6 0
EdgeEnh off off off
ColorTone cool warm2 warm2
ScreenSize JustScan
DigitalNoise off off off
FilmMode auto auto auto
AutoMotionP low low low/off

Table B
Roffset Goffset Boffset Rgain Ggain Bgain
25 27 26 23 28 24
Table A
Red Green blue Yellow Cyan Magnenta
Red 50 42 0 48 36 41
Green 0 50 12 52 50 11
Blue 5 0 5 0 50 60

Thank's Mosh.
I dont really understand though. I have Standard, movie and dynamic. Where would I set, TV, Movie and 1080?
post #132 of 3905
I recently ordered the 40A650 which is set to arrive this Wednesday.

Can anyone confirm the "best" settings with the newest firmware? Is the newest firmware the most fleshed out? Anyone set it up with a PS3?

I'd like to get up to speed before Wednesday....oh the waiting game
post #133 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmcgrath View Post

TV Movie 1080/24p
Back light 5 5 3
Contrast 92 92 92
Brightness 45 44 44
Sharpness 17 17 17
Color 50 53 50
Tint 60/40 55/45 51/49
BlackAdj off off off
DynContr off off off
gamma 0 -1 -1
ColorSpace Auto A A
Whitebalance N/A B B
FleshTone -5 -6 0
EdgeEnh off off off
ColorTone cool warm2 warm2
ScreenSize JustScan
DigitalNoise off off off
FilmMode auto auto auto
AutoMotionP low low low/off

Table B
Roffset Goffset Boffset Rgain Ggain Bgain
25 27 26 23 28 24
Table A
Red Green blue Yellow Cyan Magnenta
Red 50 42 0 48 36 41
Green 0 50 12 52 50 11
Blue 5 0 5 0 50 60

Thank's Mosh.
I dont really understand though. I have Standard, movie and dynamic. Where would I set, TV, Movie and 1080?

Thats exactly my question too, which mode/modes are these settings for. I am going to go home and try some of these out.

I assume TV is in standard mode, movie is in movie mode and 1080p is also in movie mode. If you look at the TV settings colortemp is set too cool which I think is a standard mode setting. Movie and 1080p both state warm2 which is a movie mode setting I believe.

If we work together we can get this straightened up. Up for the challenge?

Mosh~~

PS;
I'm at work so I can't do anything till tonight, later tonight after the kids are in bed.
post #134 of 3905
Ok guys, I went through the DVE Bluray and I've only configured 'Standard' mode using PS3 - HDMI. It turns out that my settings are veryyy close to what 'Podol' the Korean guy said. Right now I am at work so I'll post my settings later this evening when I get home.

I do highly recommend aquiring the DVE Bluray off Big River its sub $20 and definitely worth keeping just cause firmware updates or power outages can potentially clear your settings. Of course you can write down your settings but it never hurts to have the disc on hand just in case.

Anyways I'll see what you guys think after I post my settings.

-RiVoLT
post #135 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by znutz View Post

I recently ordered the 40A650 which is set to arrive this Wednesday.

Can anyone confirm the "best" settings with the newest firmware? Is the newest firmware the most fleshed out? Anyone set it up with a PS3?

I'd like to get up to speed before Wednesday....oh the waiting game

Z, we haven't really gotten into calibration yet, some people have posted some settings to try out so give them a shot.

The newest firmware out, 1003.m seems to be fine except for an audio issue which some people experience.

Mosh~~
post #136 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiVoLT View Post

Ok guys, I went through the DVE Bluray and I've only configured 'Standard' mode using PS3 - HDMI. It turns out that my settings are veryyy close to what 'Podol' the Korean guy said. Right now I am at work so I'll post my settings later this evening when I get home.

I do highly recommend aquiring the DVE Bluray off Big River its sub $20 and definitely worth keeping just cause firmware updates or power outages can potentially clear your settings. Of course you can write down your settings but it never hurts to have the disc on hand just in case.

Anyways I'll see what you guys think after I post my settings.

-RiVoLT


Can't wait man, looking forward to these. My HD satellite gets installed next Sunday. WOOT.

Mosh~~
post #137 of 3905
I loaded Podol's setting a couple days ago and like the results. The picture was a little dark for my taste, but the color seemed neutral to slightly warm and had good black detail. I did turn the energy saver setting to auto, up the back light a notch and set dynamic contrast to medium. This brightened the whole screen and made TV watching much better.
post #138 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Mosh View Post

Thats exactly my question too, which mode/modes are these settings for. I am going to go home and try some of these out.

I assume TV is in standard mode, movie is in movie mode and 1080p is also in movie mode. If you look at the TV settings colortemp is set too cool which I think is a standard mode setting. Movie and 1080p both state warm2 which is a movie mode setting I believe.

If we work together we can get this straightened up. Up for the challenge?

Mosh~~

PS;
I'm at work so I can't do anything till tonight, later tonight after the kids are in bed.

Hi, as I posted earlier, those settings are applied to the Korean model I tested.
According to Samsung, however, Korean and US models are virtually same.
But each product has slghtly different quality.
Panel differences, mostly.
I had chance to test another 650 set recently.
On that set, Color was right at 40, Tint was 50.
Color space was set to 'user' and adjusted Red r55, g0, b3, Green r37, g54, b0, Blue r0, g13, b77, Yellow r50, g49, b0, Cyan r30, g57, b53, Magenta r30, g57, b53.
White Balance was right at 25, 25, 19, 27, 28, 23 respectively.
This set showed oversaturation on Red and I had to reduced 'Color' to 40, and re-adjusted other primaries and scondaries' intencities in 'Color space'.

If you want to stay at Color 50, you should reduce red intencity(at least) in Color Space menu, IMO.
Both sets had same problem in too much red push.
Don't trust 'Blue only mode' or Blue filter too much.

PS;
Regarding panel differences, BTW, I had experienced quality deviation on almost every model I tested.
For example, just look at my review about 42LG60 sets.(http://hifinet.pe.kr/podol/633)
In that review, I tested two same 42 inch LG60 models and resulted quite differently.
Don't translate with Google, please.(It really sucks) Just look the differeces in tables and graphs.
post #139 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podol View Post

Hi, as I posted earlier, those settings are applied to the Korean model I tested.
According to Samsung, however, Korean and US models are virtually same.
But each product has slghtly different quality.
Panel differences, mostly.
I had chance to test another 650 set recently.
On that set, Color was right at 40, Tint was 50.
Color space was set to 'user' and adjusted Red r55, g0, b3, Green r37, g54, b0, Blue r0, g13, b77, Yellow r50, g49, b0, Cyan r30, g57, b53, Magenta r30, g57, b53.
White Balance was right at 25, 25, 19, 27, 28, 23 respectively.
This set showed oversaturation on Red and I had to reduced 'Color' to 40, and re-adjusted other primaries and scondaries' intencities in 'Color space'.

If you want to stay at Color 50, you should reduce red intencity(at least) in Color Space menu, IMO.
Both sets had same problem in too much red push.
Don't trust 'Blue only mode' or Blue filter too much.

PS;
Regarding panel differences, BTW, I had experienced quality deviation on almost every model I tested.
For example, just look at my review about 42LG60 sets.(http://hifinet.pe.kr/podol/633)
In that review, I tested two same 42 inch LG60 models and resulted quite differently.
Don't translate with Google, please.(It really sucks) Just look the differeces in tables and graphs.

Podol,
Thank you for everything. Could I ask you one last favor? Could you please give us a break down of your setting for each of the following modes

1. Standard Mode
2. Dynamic Mode
3. TV Mode

I know it is asking a lot, thank you in advance.
Giles
post #140 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podol View Post

Hi, as I posted earlier, those settings are applied to the Korean model I tested.
According to Samsung, however, Korean and US models are virtually same.
But each product has slghtly different quality.
Panel differences, mostly.
I had chance to test another 650 set recently.
On that set, Color was right at 40, Tint was 50.
Color space was set to 'user' and adjusted Red r55, g0, b3, Green r37, g54, b0, Blue r0, g13, b77, Yellow r50, g49, b0, Cyan r30, g57, b53, Magenta r30, g57, b53.
White Balance was right at 25, 25, 19, 27, 28, 23 respectively.
This set showed oversaturation on Red and I had to reduced 'Color' to 40, and re-adjusted other primaries and scondaries' intencities in 'Color space'.

If you want to stay at Color 50, you should reduce red intencity(at least) in Color Space menu, IMO.
Both sets had same problem in too much red push.
Don't trust 'Blue only mode' or Blue filter too much.

PS;
Regarding panel differences, BTW, I had experienced quality deviation on almost every model I tested.
For example, just look at my review about 42LG60 sets.(http://hifinet.pe.kr/podol/633)
In that review, I tested two same 42 inch LG60 models and resulted quite differently.
Don't translate with Google, please.(It really sucks) Just look the differeces in tables and graphs.

Thank you for the additional tips, I will try these when I get home. I put the original settings that you suggested in and they look great, but I used a CGI movie to see the results, absolutely gorgeous.

Looking forward to more tweaking tips as you find them.

Mosh~~
post #141 of 3905
Hey Podol, quick question, how are you coming up with your numbers? Obviously your taking measurements off the screen using a colorimeter but are you adjusting the numbers, taking a reading, and repeating until you decided enough is enough or do you have some software that estimates these values based on initial readings?
post #142 of 3905
are full (agreed upon) calibration settings coming? i just got this today and everything is completely blueless, i tried some of the settings here but they made it even greener
edit: unplugged component cables from cable box and plugged them back in, fixed the problem
post #143 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by scivian View Post

"Picture options" and "detail setting" stay the same when you change from "movie mode" to "standard mode." But I want them to change because I want to set up "movie mode" just for movies with "film mode" on auto and 120hz off and then "standard mode" to be the opposite, with a few other differences. Can anyone suggest a way? Anyway to build profiles?

Or is it 1 profile per source? (other than contrast/brightness...)
post #144 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil4blue View Post

Hey Podol, quick question, how are you coming up with your numbers? Obviously your taking measurements off the screen using a colorimeter but are you adjusting the numbers, taking a reading, and repeating until you decided enough is enough or do you have some software that estimates these values based on initial readings?

Obvious hard working of the first way
I'm too lazy to check every inputs and sources, though.
That's why most tests are based upon HDMI connections.
Most of times I provide signals from Accupel HDG3000 signal generator(replaced with HDG4000 recently) and measure with Photo Research PR650.
After measuring and calibration, I confirm the results with patterns from actual DVD, BluRay, HD-DVD sources like DVE etc.
Sometimes I comapre actual picture with referecne quality monitors like Sony BVM and Samsung's 'Joe Kane' DLP projector.
As I posted before, I opened settings in my reviews just for catering to readers' requests.
post #145 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmcgrath View Post

Podol,
Thank you for everything. Could I ask you one last favor? Could you please give us a break down of your setting for each of the following modes

1. Standard Mode
2. Dynamic Mode
3. TV Mode

I know it is asking a lot, thank you in advance.
Giles

Hi, Giles.
Maybe you don't need to 'calibrate' Standard and Dynamic modes, because those modes don't care and can't select 6500K color temp.
So if you opt for more punch in picture, you can choose 'Dynamic Contrast', 'Edge Enhancement', NR, etc. in Movie mode, or try any variation in Dynamic and Standard for your visual taste.
Though I checked Standard mode also, I'm not in favor of 'Japanese 9300K so called NHK Standard'.
My Movie mode settings are based on mesurements and textbook rules, not on visual tastes.(actually very close to 'my taste' anyway)
I'll try to adjust Standard mode with 'general taste' and 'variation' later
It'll be interesting that you try your own Standard mode and compare them later.
post #146 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Mosh View Post

Thats exactly my question too, which mode/modes are these settings for. I am going to go home and try some of these out.

I assume TV is in standard mode, movie is in movie mode and 1080p is also in movie mode. If you look at the TV settings colortemp is set too cool which I think is a standard mode setting. Movie and 1080p both state warm2 which is a movie mode setting I believe.

If we work together we can get this straightened up. Up for the challenge?

Mosh~~

PS;
I'm at work so I can't do anything till tonight, later tonight after the kids are in bed.


Did we ever get clarification on this mode stuff? TV=Standard, Movie=Movie, 1080/24p = ?????
post #147 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus_NJ View Post

Did we ever get clarification on this mode stuff? TV=Standard, Movie=Movie, 1080/24p = ?????

No Never, I am thinking of using Dynamic and the last set of numbers as I have everything on my TV hooked up via HDMI. I did send him a PM, so we will see what happens.
post #148 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus_NJ View Post

Did we ever get clarification on this mode stuff? TV=Standard, Movie=Movie, 1080/24p = ?????

I think he said he used "Movie" mode for all 3 sets of numbers. I also believe that TV, Movie, 1080p stands for his source material. TV = Broadcast source, Movie=DVD source, and 1080p/24p = blu-ray. All of these were done on an HDMI input. I can't tell you for sure that this is is correct, but I believe I read this in the Google translation of his A650 review.
post #149 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil4blue View Post

I think he said he used "Movie" mode for all 3 sets of numbers. I also believe that TV, Movie, 1080p stands for his source material. TV = Broadcast source, Movie=DVD source, and 1080p/24p = blu-ray. All of these were done on an HDMI input. I can't tell you for sure that this is is correct, but I believe I read this in the Google translation of his A650 review.

There seems to be some misunderstanding in translations.
In my Korean review, 'TV' is actually rough settings from 'Standard' mode for people who hate 6500K
'Movie' is a calibrated setting for 1080i broadcast materials form 'Movie' mode.
And '1080p' is a calibrated setting for 1080p sources like Bluray titles, also from 'Movie' mode.
In my original review, they were labled as 'Standard mode for HD(1080i) Broadcasting', 'Movie mode for 1080i Broadcasting', and 'Movie mode for 1080/24p'.
In other words, calibrated Movie modes are not for my personal tastes(my favorite, anyway)
They were calbrated step by step to match as closely as D65 and BT.709 like broadcast monitors.
post #150 of 3905
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmcgrath View Post

No Never, I am thinking of using Dynamic and the last set of numbers as I have everything on my TV hooked up via HDMI. I did send him a PM, so we will see what happens.

I got your PM, Giles.
If you're enjoy watching Dynamic mode for long time, you'll think of 'Movie' as too dim and reddish. Especially when you just switch from 'Dynamic' to 'Movie'.
On the other hand, if you get use to 'Movie', you may find Dynamic too bright, too bluish, too much contrast, too much sharpness, too colorful, and too much in everything.
Usually 'Dynamic' mode loses details in dark part, clips brighter scenes, and exaggerates colors and edges with too high color temperature.
Standard mode is a kind of middle of the road to compromise both Dynamic and Movie.
Dynamic mode is for retailers' showroom, not for actuall household watching
My advice is like this; keep watching with Movie or Standard at least 24 hours(don't watch Dynamic at all), then go back to Dynamic and compare them.
If you still prefer Dynamic, go with it. That's your choice.
If not, Movie or Standard are good starting point to adjust settings.
I'm telling this because you said you're very new to HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LNXXA650 Calibration/Settings Thread