or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Firmware/Update Requests For Onkyo/Integra-Please Read
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Firmware/Update Requests For Onkyo/Integra-Please Read - Page 9

post #241 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Yes, having an empty box is very rare for me.

Took about 2 hours to get it there...

Joerod, you are the AVS Man of the Year. I hope you are not getting anymore of the rude PM's.

In this world it is hard to find people that really care like you do.

Cheers to you!
post #242 of 5558
Thread Starter 
Thanks.

So far all PMs have been great. Not one rude person this time. Last time I had a few that acted like I owed them the firmware and really were rude in demanding it...

At least this time it has been easy and so far I can say there has been more people requesting since the 605, 705, 805 and Integra/Pro people are involved....
post #243 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Thanks.

So far all PMs have been great. Not one rude person this time. Last time I had a few that acted like I owed them the firmware and really were rude in demanding it...

At least this time it has been easy and so far I can say there has been more people requesting since the 605, 705, 805 and Integra/Pro people are involved....

I hear you. I may do the Optical/DSP upgrade shortly. But I want to wait and see if they come up with an official 885 firmware upgrade. Audyssey stated that they have a key for Audyssey Pro in the 885. I am just not that hot on updating that portion of my unit when they may have a new version for the Audyssey Pro in the 885.
post #244 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Tape it. I used black electrical tape to hold it into place... Works fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVi View Post

Are you sure your Keyspan is set to COM1 ?
Try going to the My Computer Icon on your desktop, right-click on it and go to Properties. Once there click on the Harware tab and then the Device Manager button. In there you should see Ports (COM and LPT). From there you should be able to open it up by clicking the + sign , double click the Keyspan device in the list, click the Port Settings tab, Click the Advanced button, see the COM port setting for the Keyspan and change them if you wish. If the one you want to use is in use, unplug that device, turn off your computer, plug in the Keyspan into that port, turn on the computer, go back to the My Computer icon and do the above steps again.

Make sure it is COM1, 2 or 3 (these are the only ones usable in the updater program from Onkyo).
You could also just try COM2 or COM3 on the updater program.

Now, after all of this, send Mr. Bill Gates a gift. I suggest a lump of coal.

Thanks for the help, but no luck (going a little crazy at the moment) I can't believe this is so difficult, I confirmed that the COM ports are the same... just don't know what else to do.
post #245 of 5558
Well, I finally took the plunge. Updated from 1.05 to 1.08 first. I had to dig out my old instructions for the 1.05 update for 8.8 as I was pushing the "enter" button as I was plugging in as the 905 instructions state and nada! The 8.8 instructions say push the "tuning up" button when plugging in and there was joy! ....went flawless from there to 1.08.

Used Sonic Record Now that came with my Dell 4 years ago to make the music CD. Next came the "jump through hoops" DSP update. Man......whoever dreamed that process up needs a serious "talking to"! Got through it... waited 5 minutes... manual turn off.... "completed".... turn on and everything wiped. Thanks to those who suggested that we write EVERYTHING down from all settings (even wiped my Reon settings). Oh yeah..... used an Oppo 970HD CD/DVD player set to "raw" output. Flawless.

Old (updated from original 9 1.02/07717A):
Main 9 1.05/07927A
DSP1 07601A
DSP2 07518A
DSP3 07518A

New:
Main 9 1.08/08223A (changed)
DSP1 08214A (changed)
DSP2 07518A
DSP3 07820B (changed)

The biggest thing here is the difference between the buttons pushed for the 905 or the 8.8. for the main f/w update. That one will leave you scratching your head or something else!

A BIG thanks to Joerod. If we had O/I customer support to depend on for this, we'd be SOL!
Oh yeah, audio lock-on is instantanious now.
post #246 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra57 View Post

Thanks for the help, but no luck (going a little crazy at the moment) I can't believe this is so difficult, I confirmed that the COM ports are the same... just don't know what else to do.

Ahhh...I think I see your problem after reading your original post (OP). You are using VISTA...it is a POS so find an XP machine. Drivers for VISTA are not obviously unavailable and you will be wasting alot of time and effort with another gem brought to you by Mr.Bill Gates (send him two lumps of coal).
post #247 of 5558
heh, Vista/Bill G bashing aside, feel free to PM me and I can help you out if you're having trouble with your USB>COM device... I've got a bit of experience with it now.

Wacky results from running Audessy in a post-FW and DSP upgrade - it found all my speakers to be full range!

Well, 6 of them -are- deftechs so -should- probably come up as full (I tweaked to 60/70hz anyway), but it's a different result than last time...

Meanwhile, how many are updating theirs with OSX? (actually, I'm pleased to see the posts above that show that bootcamp users are doing successful updates, certainly a good sign...)
post #248 of 5558
I successfully upgraded the DSP update to my 885 using a PS3
and also upgraded firmware from 1.04 to 1.07, but I had to set my
Keyspan adapter to com1 because for some reason com2 or com3
wouldn't work.

All my settings were reset to factory defaults after the DSP update
as others have mentioned would happen.

I haven't had a chance to re-run Audyssey, will do that tomorrow.

I just want to give a big thanks to joerod for being an
upstanding AVS member. You saved me and i'm sure many others
from a great deal of grief.
post #249 of 5558
OSX !!! Apples are for horses.
Drivers for VISTA are oftentimes unavailable for many devices and scanning the internet for them is often futile. Stick with a more or less proven product.

When will we all get away from this commercial OS and work with Linux (aka flawless)?
post #250 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVi View Post

Ahhh...I think I see your problem after reading your original post (OP). You are using VISTA...it is a POS so find an XP machine. Drivers for VISTA are not obviously unavailable and you will be wasting alot of time and effort with another gem brought to you by Mr.Bill Gates (send him two lumps of coal).


I am using an E-machine with Vista 32bit. What can I do ?
post #251 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra57 View Post

I am using an E-machine with Vista 32bit. What can I do ?

Get an XP machine or ... is there a doctor in the house, who has used VISTA here successfully, that can help out good 'ol spectra57 ? If you were nearby I'd do it for you.
post #252 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra57 View Post

Thanks for the help, but no luck (going a little crazy at the moment) I can't believe this is so difficult, I confirmed that the COM ports are the same... just don't know what else to do.

Try changing the COM port in device manager and the updater to COM 2. There is a chance you have a conflict with COM 1 being hijacked and changing it to COM 2 should fix that possibility.
post #253 of 5558
I had no issues with the updates last night. I 'm really happy about this new firmware and the DSPs. I don't want to send Joerod a PM and make him have deal with non-firmware issues, but I just have to say thank you and you should get some kind of AVS humanitarian award for helping so many people out!! Joerod for president!!
post #254 of 5558
OK, this is how it went:

In the interest of experimenting with new ways of doing it, I first tried playing the WAV file via optical from my laptop running foobar2000 at 44.1KHz. On the receiver, it said spdif updating, but no dsp writing... failure . Turned it off by pressing Standby on the unit.

I then put the cd in (burned with "Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7" that came with my pc) the laptop drive and tried it also through foobar2000... failure again, see above.

Next, I dug out my old Sony DVP-NS725P dvd player, went in the setup menu, turned DTS off, set output to PCM, and proceeded with the update. This time, it wrote all the DSPs but it got stuck at spdif updating. I waited the mandatory 10 minutes, turned it off, then on again and voila!! DSP's were updated.

I have an 805 with 1.06 main FW. Only the first DSP was changed.

I put the Fly in and NO POPPING NOISE COMING FROM IT.

Again, I would like to thank the AVS man of the year joerod!!! Whether or not Onkyo comes out with an official release, this has been working until proven otherwise. And make no mistake about it, these receivers are under more scrutiny now than ever before. I'm watching mine like a hawk!!!

I'm anxiously waiting for the 805 main FW update!!
post #255 of 5558
So my 875 reads

MainUpdateMode
Ver1.00/07502L

Am I screwed for doing a main firmware upgrade myself. Has anyone successfully upgraded from this?

Kent
post #256 of 5558
Australian delivered TX NR905 updated with 1.08 firmware and DSP updates from the files sent to me by joerod......thanks mate.

Firmware updated using a laptop running XP with a USB to serial cable with a straight through RS232 cable plugged into that and then into the 905. No issues worked perfectly.

Nero 8 used to burn audio CD for DSP update using a Sony DVP NC 625 CD/DVD player. Worked perfectly and all versions show as they should after update.

If anyone in Brisbane needs a hand doing this drop me a PM. Thanks again Joerod the service you provide this community is invaluable.

Cheers Al
post #257 of 5558
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your kind words.
post #258 of 5558
For those having problems using the keyspan, make sure your baud rate is set for 9600 in addition to using the correct com port.
post #259 of 5558
Any word on the SR805 main 1.08 update availability? I saw in another thread that the European version has supposedly been released, but couldn't find any links to it.

I'm so ready to get rid of that signal lock delay.
post #260 of 5558
My experience with USB to serial connectors has not been totally positive. If you're using a notebook the PCMCIA serial connectors are very reliable connectors. I used to do quite a bit of serial port interfacing with various types of machinery and while the USB was hit or miss the PC card worked.
post #261 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

Any word on the SR805 main 1.08 update availability? I saw in another thread that the European version has supposedly been released, but couldn't find any links to it.

I'm so ready to get rid of that signal lock delay.


Sorry for the stupid question but what is signal lock delay?

Iam also interested in a firmware update for my 805. still on 1.03.
post #262 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyalP View Post

Sorry for the stupid question but what is signal lock delay?

I am also interested in a firmware update for my 805. still on 1.03.

Its the delay that the Onkyo SR805 (and others) have between start of a signal and actual playback. Its most noticeable when you change chapters in a movie, or use a DVR to skip forward/backward during playback.

Currently, it takes the SR805 anywhere from 2-4 seconds to lock onto the signal and start playback. From what others have said, the 1.08 Main firmware upgrade reduces this delay to almost nothing.
post #263 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra57 View Post

Are you connecting the Keyspan directly to the 905? Does not seem to stay very firmly. If anyone has any ideas, please share.

I took the screws on the face place out and un-clipped the plastic housing. It stayed on just fine.
post #264 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

Its the delay that the Onkyo SR805 (and others) have between start of a signal and actual playback. Its most noticeable when you change chapters in a movie, or use a DVR to skip forward/backward during playback.

Currently, it takes the SR805 anywhere from 2-4 seconds to lock onto the signal and start playback. From what others have said, the 1.08 Main firmware upgrade reduces this delay to almost nothing.

Yeah, I noticed that when playing movies and skipping to another chapter the movies playing but theres no sound for a couple seconds. In that case I'm very interested in the firmware update. I saw a post the other day that said one was coming soon.
post #265 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by word302 View Post

So my 875 reads

MainUpdateMode
Ver1.00/07502L

Am I screwed for doing a main firmware upgrade myself. Has anyone successfully upgraded from this?

Kent

I can't say definitively that it won't work, but I suspect it is this issue that caused the "bricking" of some 875 units when the 1.04 firmware update was applied. I would suggest not doing anything unless you get the official nod from Onkyo or confirmed success from someone else on this board.
post #266 of 5558
This is it. I believe I am the first one 905 owner that bricked his receiver

Here is my story.

DSP upgrade was done without problem. As I was in 1.07 version only DSP1 was upgraded.

Then for the main upgrade I knew it will not be easy. I have a new laptop but only with usb ports and Running Vista. Ready than the USB to RS232 cable can have different configurations and needed driwers and some not working with Vista I was not confortable to go that way.

I thought that doing it the simple way via a straight RS232 cable would be easier.

I have an old Fujitsu Laptop with a port replicator having a male RS232 port.

However this Laptop is running Windows SE. I thought this would be the problem that probably the updater software was not compatible with SE.

I tried to unzip the files, and open the application and surprise it seems to work.

Next step was the cable. I did not have such cable. I order and got a one Male port - one female port RS232 cable to connect my port replicator to the 905.

OK I was ready.

IThe update started correctly and arrived at 233/28374 eveything stopped I got a message Out of memory.

Now I am screwed!

Any advices...
post #267 of 5558
Thread Starter 
Can you shut it down and try again with your new laptop and vista. I did mine that way and used a keyspan converter. It worked fine after I set the keyspan up.
post #268 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

OK, this is how it went:

In the interest of experimenting with new ways of doing it, I first tried playing the WAV file via optical from my laptop running foobar2000 at 44.1KHz. On the receiver, it said spdif updating, but no dsp writing... failure . Turned it off by pressing Standby on the unit.

I then put the cd in (burned with "Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7" that came with my pc) the laptop drive and tried it also through foobar2000... failure again, see above.

Next, I dug out my old Sony DVP-NS725P dvd player, went in the setup menu, turned DTS off, set output to PCM, and proceeded with the update. This time, it wrote all the DSPs but it got stuck at spdif updating. I waited the mandatory 10 minutes, turned it off, then on again and voila!! DSP's were updated.

I have an 805 with 1.06 main FW. Only the first DSP was changed.

I put the Fly in and NO POPPING NOISE COMING FROM IT.

Again, I would like to thank the AVS man of the year joerod!!! Whether or not Onkyo comes out with an official release, this has been working until proven otherwise. And make no mistake about it, these receivers are under more scrutiny now than ever before. I'm watching mine like a hawk!!!

I'm anxiously waiting for the 805 main FW update!!

Thanks for this. When foobar did not work were there any problems with the Onkyo or did you have a birck until you tried it with your Sony?


Joel
post #269 of 5558
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemenn View Post

This is it. I believe I am the first one 905 owner that bricked his receiver

Here is my story.

DSP upgrade was done without problem. As I was in 1.07 version only DSP1 was upgraded.

Then for the main upgrade I knew it will not be easy. I have a new laptop but only with usb ports and Running Vista. Ready than the USB to RS232 cable can have different configurations and needed driwers and some not working with Vista I was not confortable to go that way.

I thought that doing it the simple way via a straight RS232 cable would be easier.

I have an old Fujitsu Laptop with a port replicator having a male RS232 port.

However this Laptop is running Windows SE. I thought this would be the problem that probably the updater software was not compatible with SE.

I tried to unzip the files, and open the application and surprise it seems to work.

Next step was the cable. I did not have such cable. I order and got a one Male port - one female port RS232 cable to connect my port replicator to the 905.

OK I was ready.

IThe update started correctly and arrived at 233/28374 eveything stopped I got a message Out of memory.

Now I am screwed!

Any advices...

What was out of memory? The Onkyo front panel display, or the program on the computer?

Either way I'd try it with at least an XP machine. And you should be able to re-do it without problem. Long as the Onkyo is in update mode.
post #270 of 5558
Thread Starter 
Exactly. Don't give up. As long as the unit has a light on (so to speak) it is not bricked...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Firmware/Update Requests For Onkyo/Integra-Please Read