I just bought an Onkyo TX-SR875 and I'm having trouble with it. Heres a rndown on everything Ive done/tried so far:
1. When I received it, the firmware on it was version 1.01 I believe, I heard about the fixes updating the Main firmware could do I so I went ahead and downloaded firmware 1.07 and installed it, it appears to have installed correctly.
2. After installing this update I was no longer getting any sound from my speakers or thru my headphones.
3. So I downgraded the firmware to the lowest one I could find on these forums, which is 1.04.
4. After installing that, I'm still not getting any sound.
5. I cycled through the firmware versions and noticed something unusual. my DSP versions were showing up as "?????? ??????" on DSP1 and 2, and DSP3 was showng up "?????? ?????x", where x was displaying a random character at a rapid pace.
6. So i tried downloading the DSP update thats been psoted on this forums as well. Ive burned 4 different copies of it so far, none of them have worked. First copy was burned like I would burn any of my audio CDs, using Nero in Windows 7 at normal speed. 2nd copy was burned using PowerISO at normal speed. 3rd copy was burned using Nero at Slow (4x) speed. and the 4th was burned on Windows XP using Nero on Slow Speed. All of them were burned as an audio CD, and all of them had normalize audio files unchecked, no CD-text, all finalized, and all burned "disc at once".
7. I tried using 4 different DVD players: my LG Blu ray player, and older Onkyo DV-SP300, a Panasonic DVD-CP67, and my old PS2. all have optical outputs. and I played all 4 burned copies, none of them were able to perform the DSP update. The Onkyo receiver stays on "S/PDIFUpdate.."
8. I went out and bought a Sony 200 Disc CD player/changer with an optical output for $10 on craigslist. used all 4 CDs on that. Still cant get it to update.
9. one thing I noticed, is when the optical cable i'm using is plugged into one of the disc players, the other side has the red laser shining at the other end. but when I plug the optical cable into either the inputs or outputs on the Onkyo receiver, there is no red laser shining at the end. Not sure if this is normal or the Optical I/O's on the receiver are not functioning.
my last resort before lugging this unit up to a service center is to try and find the Main Firmware version 1.05 and use that. Gurkey posted a rapidshare link in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016297
that has expired. If anyone has that or can psot it or PM it to me I'll give it a try and see if it fixes any problems.