or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Band of Brothers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Band of Brothers - Page 18

post #511 of 600
Just grabbed this for $35 at Amazon. I'll sell my SD set for $10 or $15 to a coworker. Its a win win.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #512 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post

sweet deal, 34.99$ at Amazon TODAY ONLY!

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-...dp/B00129H7VS/

thanks for the info. just placed my order. can't beat that price.
post #513 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

While I agree that in player decoding makes more sense then bitstreaming, there is little proof available that the current crop of players can actually decode lossless to PCM when secondary audio is present (outside of the PS3). For example, in the Panasonic BD35/55 thread a reviewer from Big Picture Big Sound received information from the Panasonic engineering department that when secondary audio is present the player internally decodes the lossy track not the lossless track. Another example, the Sony 550 which decodes DTS-HD MA cannot decode DTS-HD MA if secondary audio is present; instead it uses the lossy DTS track. I have no knowledge concerning the Samsung players but as the Panasonic players seem to be the leaders and first to market in terms of the latest audio decoding I would be surprised if the Samsung players were more capable.

While I am a little skeptical as to the accuracy of the information provided by the Panasonic engineers I haven't heard reliable information to the contrary. So in other words, unless your using a PS3 you are more than likely getting lossy if secondary audio is present and your internally decoding; the fact that most are not noticing suggests that the differences between lossy and lossless are not that significant.

Wait, so what if secondary audio is present on the disc, but not being used. I have a Panasonic 35, decoding internally. If i have secondary audio enabled in the settings, but not actiely watching it, am I not getting lossless sound?
That stinks. Its not a big deal for me to switch settings in the player setup, but some non-savvy people would be screwed in this regard.
post #514 of 600
I just ordered too. the Blu version is cheaper than the DVD.
post #515 of 600
I have a Samsung 2500 connected via 7.1analog outs to my 5.1AVR. Unforatunately, no matter what configuration of the audio parameters I use, I still can not hear the secondary audio from the bonus view of BoB. I have also tried the optical input and still no luck. I have the latest firmware update v2.4, released 1/6/09, which was supposed to take care of the DTS-HD MA decoding problem. Anyone have a similar issue with this player and maybe the fix?
post #516 of 600
Does anyone have a scan for the first disc and the last disc?

Those are the only two that I really looked at the bitrate for the audio.

On the normal episode discs the bitrate seemed to stay above 2.0Mbps most of the time, peaking occasionally. But the doc on the final disc stays at 4.0Mbps from what I can tell...well what I think I can tell.

I'm just curios if they went 16bit for the dynamic/aggressive audio of the series, then 24bit for the very quiet doc.

I am so amped for "The Pacific". Letters from Iwo Jima is really the only film that has covered some of the Pacific campaign. Hope HBO doesn't spare any expenses with the next miniseries.
post #517 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFire View Post

I have a Samsung 2500 connected via 7.1analog outs to my 5.1AVR. Unforatunately, no matter what configuration of the audio parameters I use, I still can not hear the secondary audio from the bonus view of BoB. I have also tried the optical input and still no luck. I have the latest firmware update v2.4, released 1/6/09, which was supposed to take care of the DTS-HD MA decoding problem. Anyone have a similar issue with this player and maybe the fix?

Have you tried asking in the appropriate Owner's Thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058811
post #518 of 600
This forum is for Band of Brothers Blu-ray owners which is the disc I refer to and "YES" I have posted in forums directly related to the brand of player.
post #519 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpasiczn View Post

Wait, so what if secondary audio is present on the disc, but not being used. I have a Panasonic 35, decoding internally. If i have secondary audio enabled in the settings, but not actiely watching it, am I not getting lossless sound?
That stinks. Its not a big deal for me to switch settings in the player setup, but some non-savvy people would be screwed in this regard.

That's pretty much what the Panasonic engineers from Japan indicated to Chris Boylan from the Big Picture Big Sound; you can find additional details in the Panasonic BD35/55 thread. It effectively defeats the advantage of decoding internally (if your AVR can decode the new formats). In the case of the BD35/55 it seems that whether internally decoding or set to bitstream secondary audio has the same impact. What is most disappointing to me is that even the initial batch of Toshiba HD DVD players had the ability to decode lossless to PCM with secondary audio; now closing in on 3 years later blu-ray players still seem to lack that ability.
post #520 of 600
I'm so happy with this release, I don't even mind that it's available for near half of what I payed only a few months ago.
post #521 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

I'm so happy with this release, I don't even mind that it's available for near half of what I payed only a few months ago.

Definitely agreed.
post #522 of 600
I have to decline on this release.
The DVD set looks and sounds so good that I am satisfied with the presentation.
Band of Brothers is a good mini-series, not a great one IMO.
YMMV.
post #523 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I have to decline on this release.
The DVD set looks and sounds so good that I am satisfied with the presentation.
Band of Brothers is a good mini-series, not a great one IMO.
YMMV.

I simply can't imagine a better mini-series.

The BD is IMHO worth every dime.
post #524 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I have to decline on this release.
The DVD set looks and sounds so good that I am satisfied with the presentation.
Band of Brothers is a good mini-series, not a great one IMO.
YMMV.

Obviously, one's opinion on the series will influence how worthwhile the BD upgrade seems.

I was originally planning to pass as well. I had just re-watched the DVD series (for the 3rd time) when the BD release was announced, and on my 42" Aquos from 6 feet away the upconversion was very acceptable, and the sound was fine.

I was seduced by the recent sub-$40 pricing, and am I ever glad. There is a real difference in PQ, not just in detail but in color rendition, which because the series is so highly processed and digitally color-timed is especially important. The improvement in audio is also noticeable, if subtle.

But the new special features -- the timeline overlay and the PIP clips of the veterans -- are worth the price all by themselves, and further extend the re-watchability of the series. Combined with the intrinsic quality of the production and the AVQ enhancement of BD, this has to be my pick for BD of the year, 2008.
post #525 of 600
grabbed it for 35 shipped from amazon two days ago. looking forward to watching it again. never bought the dvd set.
post #526 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Obviously, one's opinion on the series will influence how worthwhile the BD upgrade seems.

I was originally planning to pass as well. I had just re-watched the DVD series (for the 3rd time) when the BD release was announced, and on my 42" Aquos from 6 feet away the upconversion was very acceptable, and the sound was fine.

I was seduced by the recent sub-$40 pricing, and am I ever glad. There is a real difference in PQ, not just in detail but in color rendition, which because the series is so highly processed and digitally color-timed is especially important. The improvement in audio is also noticeable, if subtle.

But the new special features -- the timeline overlay and the PIP clips of the veterans -- are worth the price all by themselves, and further extend the re-watchability of the series. Combined with the intrinsic quality of the production and the AVQ enhancement of BD, this has to be my pick for BD of the year, 2008.

Excellent points. I never purchased the DVD boxset (I DVR'd the release on cable when it aired) but I did purchase the BD boxset and the extras alone have been worth the $42 price I paid a few months back. It is such a tremendous series and has tons of replay value as well. This is not movie you will buy and probably only watch once or twice IMHO.
post #527 of 600
I had two copies of this on dvd, but I still picked it up on blu. it was one of my favorite blu's that I own. Some of the battle scenes are just astounding to watch and more so hear on my setup.
post #528 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post

Just grabbed this for $35 at Amazon. I'll sell my SD set for $10 or $15 to a coworker. Its a win win.


Me 2
post #529 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post

Just grabbed this for $35 at Amazon. I'll sell my SD set for $10 or $15 to a coworker. Its a win win.

I mentioned this several pages back, but if you don't need the money why not do the next best thing and donate your DVDs to your local American Legion or VFW post?

Mine was thrilled to get the set, and it gave me the warm fuzzies to do so.
post #530 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

I mentioned this several pages back, but if you don't need the money why not do the next best thing and donate your DVDs to your local American Legion or VFW post?

Mine was thrilled to get the set, and it gave me the warm fuzzies to do so.

Damn, that is a good idea. I already sold it though.
post #531 of 600
I am having the same issue as Angelfire - Band of Brothers static w/Bonusview/Sammy BD-P2500. Does anyone know if going back to firmware 2.3 might help? "ve also switched audio w/no success. Other proposed solutions?

Angelfire - Has this issue been reported to Sammy?
post #532 of 600
I just picked this up, wow what a great series. Sound and pic quality are excellant. Has anyone put together a list of discs and chapeters of the best demo material on this series? Just wondering.
post #533 of 600
Got mine tonite. Forgot how good this was, (hadn't seen it in years) What a bargain that amazon price was.

post #534 of 600
Anyone else notice in dark scene that it seems pixelated? Or that the picture isn't as smooth as the lighter scenes? I've used this projector with other BD and haven't noticed it as much as this and never noticed it on video games. My player is a PS3 with a Mitsu XD1000u.
post #535 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumavguy View Post

Anyone else notice in dark scene that it seems pixelated? Or that the picture isn't as smooth as the lighter scenes?

Not even remotely. Sounds like a setup issue on the PJ.
post #536 of 600
...or don't mistake film grain in dark scenes for pixelation.
post #537 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

i simply can't imagine a better mini-series.

The bd is imho worth every dime.

+1
post #538 of 600
Finally got mine from the Amazon sale, watched the first two episodes last night. Pretty good so far and I'm not usually into WWII material. During the first intense Epsiode 2 sequence I realized my mouth was gaping wide open lol, that was some crazy ****. Damien Lewis is really what pushed me into buying it, he's a fine actor and doesn't disappoint in this either.

And the quality is really top notch on these also - I noticed what might be a faint bit of smoothing on some closeups, particularily in motion, but overall there is some amazing detail in the PQ and the AQ is pretty much like being there. Amazing sound design.
post #539 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post

Finally got mine from the Amazon sale, watched the first two episodes last night. Pretty good so far and I'm not usually into WWII material. During the first intense Epsiode 2 sequence I realized my mouth was gaping wide open lol, that was some crazy ****. Damien Lewis is really what pushed me into buying it, he's a fine actor and doesn't disappoint in this either.

It only gets better as the characters develop, rise to their challenges, guide each other and face their mortality in sometime heroic ways and sometimes just realistic chicken-sh*t ways. It's an exceptional job.
post #540 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by b51cole View Post

thanks for the info. just placed my order. can't beat that price.

Damn...it's back to $54!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Band of Brothers