or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Band of Brothers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Band of Brothers - Page 3

post #61 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post

The HD-DVDs are fantastic--the crown jewel of my collection. Having already shelled out for the HD-DVD set (about $160), I doubt I'll go for the blu-ray. But if they do right by the blu-ray release, you guys are in for a treat.

And Mr. Oink, while the DVDs do look and sound excellent, if you are like many of us who watch this series probably once a year at least, it is well worth the upgrade to hi-def. It's that good.

+1 here. I was hesitant to spend to replace my DVD version with the HD-DVD, but I did and the upgrade is amazing!!! I wonder if the Blu version will provide the packaging that the SD-DVD got, I'm guessing no. I'm thinking it might be like the HD-DVD version but with the SD-DVD extra's.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #62 of 600
Band of Brothers is an absolute must own for me! I'd have bought a player (if I didn't have one) once BoB came out. This along with Lawrence of Arabia, Battlestar Gallactica and Star Trek (movie box set)

Also, has The Matrix trilogy or the Bourne series been announced for Blu Ray yet?
post #63 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post

+1 here. I was hesitant to spend to replace my DVD version with the HD-DVD, but I did and the upgrade is amazing!!! I wonder if the Blu version will provide the packaging that the SD-DVD got, I'm guessing no. I'm thinking it might be like the HD-DVD version but with the SD-DVD extra's.

I really hope so. I don't like tins at all, and avoid them at any cost.
post #64 of 600
the sd version was around $100. i wonder how much they'll bleed us for the bd version?
post #65 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post

I really hope so. I don't like tins at all, and avoid them at any cost.

I agree. It's nice to have the box set match the "feel" of the series, but the SD DVD tin was quite annoying. The tin was highly susceptible to scratches and dings, and the fold out discs holders were a pain. Even though the 5 HD DVD cases take up more space, they are far more practical. I hope that HBO avoids the disastrous packaging of Star Trek and BSG on HD DVD.
post #66 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg131 View Post

I agree. It's nice to have the box set match the "feel" of the series, but the SD DVD tin was quite annoying. The tin was highly susceptible to scratches and dings, and the fold out discs holders were a pain. Even though the 5 HD DVD cases take up more space, they are far more practical. I hope that HBO avoids the disastrous packaging of Star Trek and BSG on HD DVD.

Yeah, both of those were bad. I ended up buying the UK version of BSG and it has a multi-fold version with the same casing style for each disc as to what Warner is using for the 'book' releases. I'd prefer separate cases for each title (ala That's Entertainment, Ultimate Missions, Ocean's Trilogy), but a foldout with plastic disc holders is defintely better than the cardboard and foam dots that the US got. With Star Trek, it is quite terrible, but I almost would prefer the rest of the series having similar casing since they already did the first one this way.
post #67 of 600
I don't have a personal copy of BoB (I bought my dad a copy of the DVD and watched it before I left for college), but I think I'll definitely have to pick this up!

It will probably be too expensive for me for a while unfortunately.
post #68 of 600
There's artwork (which mentions DTS, but not which flavor) up in Bill's update at the Digital Bits.
post #69 of 600
For those who don't wanna go to the bits:
post #70 of 600
Does anyone recall that these flicks looked grainy as hell when they aired? That was intentional. I'm assuming they will look that way when they are released on BD. I'm all for it because that is how they were shot and it was part of the mood. But I remember some people complaining about it.

Be prepaired for some reviews from websites that have statements like, "this transfer looks like due to terrible amlounts of grain!"

By the way, I really do not like tins. Give me something more functional, please.
post #71 of 600
Simply put, the HD-DVDs really seem to be true to the source, but look outstanding. Hopefully they do the same with BD.
post #72 of 600
What do they mean by 'DTS Sound'? It's being done by Warner. So they must mean DTS 768kbps(or whatever it is for DVDs).

It would be wicked if they meant DTS-MA...
post #73 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

What do they mean by 'DTS Sound'? It's being done by Warner. So they must mean DTS 768kbps(or whatever it is for DVDs).

It would be wicked if they meant DTS-MA...

Well Soprano have PCM on Blu-ray (didn't on HD DVD), it's HBO.. Just like C3K, because Speilberg is in this it will either have DTS or DTS HD MA
post #74 of 600
I really hope that's not the exact same tin as my DVD set. I'd like something that's Blu-ray sized, thank you very much. That turned me off of the Dirty Harry boxset.
post #75 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

What do they mean by 'DTS Sound'? It's being done by Warner. So they must mean DTS 768kbps(or whatever it is for DVDs).
It would be wicked if they meant DTS-MA...

FWIW, the Japanese HD DVDs are DTS-HD.
The mix is a bit front heavy but overall it's dynamite.
post #76 of 600
post #77 of 600
Hey, everyone.

With the recent news of Xploited Cinema closing shop once they sell their inventory, I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on their Japanese HD DVD 5-disc set of Band of Brothers. What's been holding me back is the Xbox 360 HD DVD addon not allowing for the sweet DTS-HD MA output, and the price of $200 is very high.

I searched Google to see if it was coming out on Blu-ray anytime soon and I found this 2-week old article stating it will be out this Fall on Blu-ray.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1444

I couldn't be happier! I just hope it really will have the DTS-HD MA that the Japanese HD DVD's have got. 7.1 would be excellent but 5.1 would be fine, too! Since it won't be an import, it will be decently priced as well. I can't wait for this to come!
post #78 of 600
It's still going to be expensive as heck
post #79 of 600
I REALLY want this... but I'll hold off until the price is better

Anyone know how much this is set for? I hope the studio looks at how 'well' other expensive sets did in terms of sales and at what prices... Hopefully their price strategy hits my sweet spot. I'm patient enough to hold out for a sale
post #80 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleyjj View Post

I couldn't be happier! I just hope it really will have the DTS-HD MA that the Japanese HD DVD's have got. 7.1 would be excellent but 5.1 would be fine, too! Since it won't be an import, it will be decently priced as well. I can't wait for this to come!

Just a note: The HD DVDs didn't have lossless DTS-HD:MA, they had lossy DTS-HD at (IIRC) 1.5mbps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post

Anyone know how much this is set for? I hope the studio looks at how 'well' other expensive sets did in terms of sales and at what prices... Hopefully their price strategy hits my sweet spot. I'm patient enough to hold out for a sale

No price yet, but if I had to make a guess, the MSRP would be around that for one of the "Sopranos" sets, which are $130. That would be come out to ~$90 at Amazon.

But as LeVar Burton says, don't take my word for it.
post #81 of 600
The price is too steep for me and I loved this series. Wish to God my DVHS recordings turned out OK. All were hit with numerous glitches so they were essentially useless and I recorded over them.

I'd love to see screen shots comparing the HD airings vs the HD-DVD and BD releases.
post #82 of 600
Matt, I had DTheater recordings of them for a long time and I found my HD DVD versions superior. The sound, despite only being DTS-HD, is also a large step up.
post #83 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow View Post

Just a note: The HD DVDs didn't have lossless DTS-HD:MA, they had lossy DTS-HD at (IIRC) 1.5mbps.
No price yet, but if I had to make a guess, the MSRP would be around that for one of the "Sopranos" sets, which are $130. That would be come out to ~$90 at Amazon.

But as LeVar Burton says, don't take my word for it.

The HD DVD set's DTS-HD tracks are at 2046 kbps, not 1.5 mbps.
post #84 of 600
One of my most anticipated titles.

Nonetheless, I'm a little concerned about the "digitally restored" bit. Hopefully, it's just marketing tripe, but I recall the differences between the U.K. and domestic (more DNR) Pan's Labyrinth.
post #85 of 600
"Digitally restored" is just marketing ********e that won't quit. It never dies.

Perhaps I can convince my wife to buy the set for me as a Christmas gift.
post #86 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post

For those who don't wanna go to the bits:

AWESOME!
post #87 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

"Digitally restored" is just marketing ********e that won't quit. It never dies.

Perhaps I can convince my wife to buy the set for me as a Christmas gift.

Great, because Xylon's screencaps have me salivating.

For those viewers who will discover this on Blu-ray - you are in for a treat!
post #88 of 600
The UK release is due on 10th November and is up for pre-order on a UK site, price is £34.99, at current rates thats about $70.
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;-1&sku=838117
post #89 of 600
That would mean a November 11 release in the US. That's highly appropriate, since it's Veteran's Day here.
post #90 of 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post

The UK release is due on 10th November and is up for pre-order on a UK site, price is £34.99, at current rates thats about $70.
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;-1&sku=838117

Wow. $70 is dirt cheap. If I didn't have the HD DVD set, I'd order this in a heartbeat.
Hmmm, maybe I will anyway.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Band of Brothers