or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › LG BH200: Is anyone still experiencing VIDEO dropouts with March firmware?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG BH200: Is anyone still experiencing VIDEO dropouts with March firmware? - Page 2

post #31 of 90
I've seen reports of drop-outs on HD-DVD and standard DVDs... have you ever had a dropout with a Blu-ray?

I've only watched one Blu-ray, and had no dropouts, but it was on a different tv (so maybe the HDMI problem didn't exist with that TV). At the time I'd watched some HD-DVDs too without dropouts.

Since I got my new TV, I've only watched HD-DVDs, and had dropouts.
post #32 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

I've seen reports of drop-outs on HD-DVD and standard DVDs... have you ever had a dropout with a Blu-ray?

Once on Blu-ray, during an extra on the Hostel II disc. This was last Saturday - the day after I received the player. I haven't watched any Blu-rays since last weekend though.

Quote:
I haven't tried wiggling my cables so I don't know if it'll affect my picture... have you confirmed that wiggling your cables caused your picture to drop out? (ie: was it a coincidence or can you reproduce it by wiggling the cable?)

The first time my screen went blank and stayed that way it was random - I was just navigating through the setup menu and suddenly I had no picture. When I wiggled the HDMI cable, the picture didn't come back, so I unhooked and re-hooked until it finally re-appeared. The cable moved a bit when I slid the TV stand back and that's when the picture dropped out again. Last night I tried to switch inputs on the TV, but I spotted another dropout so that didn't seem to work.
post #33 of 90
I'm gonna be watching I Am Legend on Blu tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted.

It's definitely very annoying... hopefully LG can sort this out in firmware.

I would think that if something is causing a temporary handshake failure, then they could just modify things to be a little more forgiving... the dropouts are very brief, so if they could just make things more tolerant and give it more time to re-establish the handshake before dropping the connection.

I hope someone from LG will speak up on this issue soon.

I was sitting on the fence about the LG player, but when the March firmware got prematurely released and people reported the dropouts had been fixed that made up my mind (unfortunately, a lot of people who said the dropouts were gone found that they persisted). I don't regret my purchase at all, but I really hope they can fix this.

Next-gen players should be a step-up from standard DVD, but I've never had a standard DVD drop out like this. It seems like a very basic thing that NEEDS to be fixed.

I have a new amp on it's way so maybe with that connected to my player the problem will go away...
post #34 of 90
Just a quick update...

I haven't watched I Am Legend on Blu yet, but I did pick up a USB flash thumb drive today (they had a nice 4gig one on sale, so I picked one up).

I put some music and pictures on it and was trying it out.

Just for the fun of it, I turned down my amp, and turned up my TV speakers, so that both my audio and video were going over HDMI.

I had 2 video dropouts while listening to music off the thumb drive (there's a nice track-listing menu, and animated realtime spectrum analyzer, you should check it out if you haven't), but no audio dropouts (the music kept playing completely solidly.)

So two things... we were wondering if it affected all disc types, and in this case, it even happened when not using disc based media.

And, the dropout was video only (at least for me) over HDMI... the audio stayed intact.
post #35 of 90
I watched Roving Mars on Blu-ray last night, and during the special feature: Mars:Past Present and Future, I lost the video. I saw a flash of black, then the signal was lost. I saw a quite colourful type of snow. I experienced this same thing with my Samsung 5000 during I am Legend on Blu.

When I unplugged the DVI cable from my tv, and reconnected it, the video came back.

For video, I am running over HDMI to DVI with a monster adapter to my Sony KF50WE620 LCD Rear Pro.

For audio, I have my Yamaha HTR-5860 via optical.

I have the March firmware and 702 driver, with the March firmware re-flashed after the 702 driver.

This is the first hiccup I have experienced with this unit.
post #36 of 90
Ya I have had nothing but problems with this thing. After I updated the player with the march firmware (which I did right out of the box) I began experiencing random green screens followed by the bh 200 shutting itself down abruptly. I had it connected by hdmi to my onkyo 805 which at times had trouble recognizing it and then from there to my sony kds 60a3000. I power cycled everything and even switched hdmi cables with no luck. I even connected directly to the television but still experienced the green screen (I also received the message of the unsupported audio). I was fortunate enough to flash my memory back to its original firmware but was still experiencing problems. I even tried playing a disk but didn't make it more than a minute before the "green screen" made its appearance. Luckily I was within my return period from the dealer and am now able to get a replacement which I am still waiting for. I don't believe this was a handshaking issue as the player froze consistently and shut itself down randomly. Ntm when I did get the bd disc I threw in there to play, and I mean I literally threw it in there b/c of this non-sense, it went to the green screen but was accompanied with high pitched pulses of audio that came out of my speakers. I have no idea if this was a defective unit right from the start or if the firmware I installed was bugged.
post #37 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steckz18 View Post

Ya I have had nothing but problems with this thing. After I updated the player with the march firmware (which I did right out of the box) I began experiencing random green screens followed by the bh 200 shutting itself down abruptly. I had it connected by hdmi to my onkyo 805 which at times had trouble recognizing it and then from there to my sony kds 60a3000. I power cycled everything and even switched hdmi cables with no luck. I even connected directly to the television but still experienced the green screen (I also received the message of the unsupported audio). I was fortunate enough to flash my memory back to its original firmware but was still experiencing problems. I even tried playing a disk but didn't make it more than a minute before the "green screen" made its appearance. Luckily I was within my return period from the dealer and am now able to get a replacement which I am still waiting for. I don't believe this was a handshaking issue as the player froze consistently and shut itself down randomly. Ntm when I did get the bd disc I threw in there to play, and I mean I literally threw it in there b/c of this non-sense, it went to the green screen but was accompanied with high pitched pulses of audio that came out of my speakers. I have no idea if this was a defective unit right from the start or if the firmware I installed was bugged.

That doesn't sound like a firmware issue to me. I'd say you definitely got a bad unit.

The dropouts I'm seeing are about 1 split-second in length, and although they're annoying, they're nothing like what you're seeing...
post #38 of 90
Thread Starter 
I can confirm that the new April firmware does not address the issue of video dropouts.
post #39 of 90
Thanks

Video and Audio drop outs do seem to affect as many as it doesn't though.
post #40 of 90
Just started using this player/ with my JVC proj; have watched 3 movies over the last week and have had several video drop outs.... literally for about a second. I have the latest April FW! Any other suggestions? I bought this from CF for less than $400! I would hate to return it! Any help is appreciated

Thxs!!
post #41 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by met64 View Post

Just started using this player/ with my JVC proj; have watched 3 movies over the last week and have had several video drop outs.... literally for about a second. I have the latest April FW! Any other suggestions? I bought this from CF for less than $400! I would hate to return it! Any help is appreciated

Thxs!!

What kind of cable are you using? Are you going directly to your display or is there a receiver/HDMI switch, etc. in between?

I'm using a cheap Cables Unlimited going directly from my BH200 to my Mits DLP. I only get dropouts when fast forwarding or rewinding.
post #42 of 90
Hi; thxs for the reply.... I am using HDMI direct to display.... not sure of brand HDMI.
post #43 of 90
One more note.... this video loss is happening on both formats.... HDDVD; BR;

thxs!
post #44 of 90
I commented on the main BH200 review thread about my video/audio dropouts for about a second. I tend to have 2 or 3 of them during any HD or Blue disk. I have the newest firmware installed. This is my second unit with the exact same problem. It is connected by a 3 foot 1.3a HDMI cable to my receiver (AVR4308). Connected to that by HDMI is a LG Plasma 50PC1DRA.
post #45 of 90
So far using the April firmware upgrade, I've experienced video drop outs on the following movies:

HD Smokey and The Bandit
BD Celine Dion: A New Day

Everything else has played through cleanly.
post #46 of 90
3:10 to Yuma tonight on BR.... Video loss 1x.... Is there NOT a fix for this???? Thxs!!
post #47 of 90
Just to give my point of view. I watched Blade Runner: Final Cut on USA BD last night and I didn't get one video or audio drop out.

I use HDMI to my HD Ready Samsung LCD TV at 1080i, the HDMI cable is a cheap one off eBay. I use DTS Re-Encode to my Sony Receiver using an Optical cable.

So far I've not had any audio or video drop outs.

I was a wee bit worried as it's the first time my Mum had seen HD, Blade Runner and I think Surround Sound and I didn't want it to disturb her viewing. She thought HD was impressive but she'd probably have been as impressive with the DVD, she uses a 14" 4:3 CRT TV with Mono sound .
post #48 of 90
My HDMI cable is a cheap 1.1 (no 1.3 deep color but honestly a cable is a cable it's just not certified for 1.3). Different displays and AVR's handle handshakes differently. When I get dropouts my display blanks out and makes a bump sound like when I change resolutions or inputs with HDMI. It definitely reads like a handshake issue which has been reported before.
post #49 of 90
I've read so called better HDMI cables is just marketing, they're all 1.3 compatible. It's digital so it sends binary regardless.
post #50 of 90
Ok here is what I have noticed on my player. I get dropouts when I first start using it, regardless of whether it is BD or HD, after about an hour of use though everything seems to work great! Case in point, I wanted to try a bunch of different movies yesterday. Most of the time when I have had a drop out it is right away at the start of the movie. The first movie had 3 within the first 20 minutes. Although as I watched more movies not dropouts. We went all the way through Close Encounters, Ratatoolie (splng) (both of those movies load up so freaking fast on this player) and Serenity (HD) without a single drop out in any one of them. Later on we went back to finish watching a movie and it had a dropout within the first few minutes and then no more..... Seems like it has to do with maybe the state of the memory or something....

Mine, Hooked up to a Bravia 46" LCD via HDMI; always displays the display info when it does drop out, so it may be an HDMI thing... Not sure why it improves over the length of use though.

So I just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone else wanted to see if they found similar findings.

TV
post #51 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidNiki View Post

Ok here is what I have noticed on my player. I get dropouts when I first start using it, regardless of whether it is BD or HD, after about an hour of use though everything seems to work great!

I noticed the same thing. I only seem to have dropouts within one hour of turning on the player.
post #52 of 90
Would turning it on but not using it for an hour fix it? Granted that's a right pain in the neck though.
post #53 of 90
I'd prefer a fix.

And, if letting it heat up first fixes it, it's indicative of some sort of problem that could get worse over time...



Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Would turning it on but not using it for an hour fix it? Granted that's a right pain in the neck though.
post #54 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

I'd prefer a fix.

Of course. It was just a work around .
post #55 of 90
Yeah; this video loss now has me considering 2 players (MY XA2) and return the LG and replace it with a standalone BD!
post #56 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

I've read so called better HDMI cables is just marketing, they're all 1.3 compatible. It's digital so it sends binary regardless.

There are better and worse HDMI cables, they just don't necessarily correspond to the more expensive and cheaper ones. It's all digital but over a certain cable length and with a high enough throughput some lower-quality cables aren't quite up to it and you get sparklies and so on. It's always worth trying a different HDMI cable especially if you're running at 1080p60 with audio bitstreaming, even though all of them should work.
post #57 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

I'd prefer a fix.

And, if letting it heat up first fixes it, it's indicative of some sort of problem that could get worse over time...

Do the people experiencing video dropouts correlate with colder climates? Here in Australia I've never had one
post #58 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidNiki View Post

Ok here is what I have noticed on my player. I get dropouts when I first start using it, regardless of whether it is BD or HD, after about an hour of use though everything seems to work great! Case in point, I wanted to try a bunch of different movies yesterday. Most of the time when I have had a drop out it is right away at the start of the movie. The first movie had 3 within the first 20 minutes. Although as I watched more movies not dropouts. We went all the way through Close Encounters, Ratatoolie (splng) (both of those movies load up so freaking fast on this player) and Serenity (HD) without a single drop out in any one of them. Later on we went back to finish watching a movie and it had a dropout within the first few minutes and then no more..... Seems like it has to do with maybe the state of the memory or something....

Mine, Hooked up to a Bravia 46" LCD via HDMI; always displays the display info when it does drop out, so it may be an HDMI thing... Not sure why it improves over the length of use though.

So I just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone else wanted to see if they found similar findings.

TV

Your explanation is right on the money from my experience. I've tried different HDMI cables and unit placement with no fix.
post #59 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by met64 View Post

Yeah; this video loss now has me considering 2 players (MY XA2) and return the LG and replace it with a standalone BD!

Try the BD-UP5000 if you can first. (I would avoid refurbished models, though).
post #60 of 90
There hasn't been an update to this thread in a while and i was wondering how everyone who were experiencing dropouts are going nowdays with their units?

I ask because I've just bought one of these and it had the Nov07 firmware on it. I played a few BD with no issues, then i tried an HD and half way thru I got all these terrible video dropouts. I kicked the disc out and the turned off the machine but turning it back on it was no different. It has dropout now with just the menu running. So much so that the screen goes black and doesnt come back. Only way to fix it is to power off. I have since loaded the June firmware and while it seems stabler now i did have 1 dropout. [mind you it was late so didn't really get time to play around with it] I'll check again tonight.

I just wanted to know if this is still amajor issue or did the June firmware fix it for most?

Cheers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dual Format Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › LG BH200: Is anyone still experiencing VIDEO dropouts with March firmware?