or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › The "Official" Canon Vixia HF10 / HF100 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Canon Vixia HF10 / HF100 Owner's Thread - Page 39

post #1141 of 3808
what is the cheapest software to buy that can do AVCHD read and write. Vegas Platinum only does read. i'm not looking to spend more than $120 for software.

i'll be using a Vista PC - 2.4ghz Athlon X2, 8800gts640mb
post #1142 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by varsos View Post

The bundled software does not work well with Vista. Mine hangs as well. I never got to play anything with the player. The ImageMixer can only copy the recordings to Hard Disk for me now, that is all.
However it seems to work well in XP, although my XP PC is too slow to play them.

I use ImageMixer to transfer the files from my HF10 on Vista. Haven't seen any problems.

I am using WMP to play back, which is using the Pixela codec.

A couple things I've read that can help:
  1. Make sure you have the latest update for ImageMixer
  2. Make sure you don't have the Haali Media Splitter. This may be installed by various codecs including CoreAVC.
post #1143 of 3808
Thanks, I downloaded the trial of VoltaicHD but haven't tried it yet.

Instead, I followed some advice from these boards and tried Sony Vegas and so far I really like it. In some ways it seems much more responsive than Premiere and seems a bit easier to use. Also, it handles AVCHD files natively without any intermediate conversion.

So what format do people recommend exporting the projects to such that they look great full-screen on a PC? I want to keep the HD resolution and wide screen aspect ratio if possible.

TIA!
post #1144 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

YOu can burn your HD onto good ole DVD-R media and play that with any Blu-ray player. That is what I am doing and I can get 1 full hour of highest quality 1920x1080/60i onto a DVD+-DL disc.

What software are you using to do this?
post #1145 of 3808
So I just watched my first stuff I shot with my HF100 camera on my 46" samsung lcd tv and it looks amazing. I'm going to buy the VoltaicHD software tonight and start some editing
post #1146 of 3808
Thanks for all the help! I'll try it!

Bob
post #1147 of 3808
just got the camera: battery question:

how long does it take to charge the battery to full out of the box? i've been charging the battery for 1 hour and when i check on the charge status on the menu it tells me it's still at 0%? is it super slow charging?
post #1148 of 3808
You need to make sure you push the power cord all the way into the camera. When it is charging, you will see a red led pulsate on the camera.
post #1149 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegun23 View Post

So I just watched my first stuff I shot with my HF100 camera on my 46" samsung lcd tv and it looks amazing. I'm going to buy the VoltaicHD software tonight and start some editing

The first time I saw my HF-10 footage on my 63" DLP, I couldn't believe my eyes. By far the best picture I've seen on that TV. The difference between it and my Sony HDR-HC7 is like night and day. There are a few features on the HF-10 that I don't like, but picture wise, it is superb.
post #1150 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by transco View Post

The first time I saw my HF-10 footage on my 63" DLP, I couldn't believe my eyes. By far the best picture I've seen on that TV. The difference between it and my Sony HDR-HC7 is like night and day. There are a few features on the HF-10 that I don't like, but picture wise, it is superb.

+1 I just got my HF100 and the video is very good. Taking some shots outside of the house I noticed trails(like a comet tail) dragging behind on the grass detail. Light was not very good, @7:30 pm, but still I didn't expect to see this issue with capturing motion.

Overall much better response than my panasonic sd in low light and in good (not great) light outside the picture is a good 8/10.

Franke46
post #1151 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke46 View Post

+1 I just got my HF100 and the video is very good.

+2. My wife doesn't typically get too excited about this kind of stuff, but even she commented on how great the video quality is from the HF100.
post #1152 of 3808
I can not comment on how good the A-Data media is, but they definitely had some of the best looking girls at Computex last week in Taipei. Here is a shot from my HF100 using the Canon Wideangle lense. It had to be reduced to 1024x768 to attach.

I shot some decent video's with it last week and the quality looks pretty good. Files play fine on my PS3 either directly from my SDHC or connecting the camera to the PS3 via USB.


Unfortuately the Camera Flash does not work on it so I am going to need to return it and get another unit (I bought it at costco because of their 90 day return policy and double warranty)

Russell
LL
post #1153 of 3808
I have had my Canon FH100 for about two weeks now and and just past the learning curve and I am very pleased with the results.
I use Oxygen AVCHD free player on my PC to watch all my AVCDH Videos and it is crystal clear.
I hope this helps.
post #1154 of 3808
I bought an HF-100 at B&H last week and I'm very pleased by the picture it delivers.
But.
The 24p feature doesn't work that good
It's recorded as a 60i stream and my PS3 switches output to 1080i when it reads those videos.
Is there a simple way to reflag the streams as being 24PsF and not 60i?
post #1155 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babook View Post

I bought an HF-100 at B&H last week and I'm very pleased by the picture it delivers.
But.
The 24p feature doesn't work that good
It's recorded as a 60i stream and my PS3 switches output to 1080i when it reads those videos.
Is there a simple way to reflag the streams as being 24PsF and not 60i?

You need a software tool to remove the pulldown from the footage. Keep in mind though, that even if you have removed the pulldown to get true 24p, the capabilities of your PS3 and your TV still play a major role in how good the footage will look when you watch it.
post #1156 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babook View Post

The 24p feature doesn't work that good It's recorded as a 60i stream and my PS3 switches output to 1080i when it reads those videos.

This is not a big deal, this is how movies are broadcast, your TV should take care of 2:3 pulldown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babook View Post

Is there a simple way to reflag the streams as being 24PsF and not 60i?

You got it backwards. It is 24p that is flagged for 60i devices. The HF produces native 60i that cannot be flagged as 24p. you need to IVTC if you want true 24p. But it will not look better on a TV.
post #1157 of 3808
My father never likes to admit something is good, especially video. When he saw the video from the HF100 of his grandchildren for the first time on the lousy Samsung HDTV we got him, he exclaimed rather loudly "WOW! Look at the resolution..." Then he realized what he said, lol.
post #1158 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by almach1 View Post

what is the cheapest software to buy that can do AVCHD read and write. Vegas Platinum only does read. i'm not looking to spend more than $120 for software.

i'll be using a Vista PC - 2.4ghz Athlon X2, 8800gts640mb

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_8_Video.html

It's just the CD, but it's all you need and I love it.
post #1159 of 3808
FYI, I use a Tvix M-6500A to play my HF-10 AVCHD files just as they come out of the camera; i.e. no conversion necessary. There aren't many multimedia players that can do this (that I know of).
post #1160 of 3808
I saw some non-Canon BP-809 batteries on ebay. Has anyone tried them yet?
post #1161 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellm View Post

I can not comment on how good the A-Data media is, but they definitely had some of the best looking girls at Computex last week in Taipei. Here is a shot from my HF100 using the Canon Wideangle lense. It had to be reduced to 1024x768 to attach.

I shot some decent video's with it last week and the quality looks pretty good. Files play fine on my PS3 either directly from my SDHC or connecting the camera to the PS3 via USB.


Unfortuately the Camera Flash does not work on it so I am going to need to return it and get another unit (I bought it at costco because of their 90 day return policy and double warranty)

Russell


There are some babes in that shot. There is nothing wide about any of them.
post #1162 of 3808
It took my HF-10 cam all night to charge the first time, even after 2-3 hours it showed 0% then it finally filled up after about 6 hours.
post #1163 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlyshark View Post

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_8_Video.html

It's just the CD, but it's all you need and I love it.

I have tried Vegas Pro 8.. it seems that the avc option is 1440x1080 instead of 1920x1080...

Pinnacle pro 11.5 handles mts files just fine and outputs to avc but i'm not sure what the resolution is.. in either case its 15 mbps...

Anyone ever tried both on a blu ray player and noticed a difference (pinnacle vs vegas pro)..

Also.. vegas pro doesnt seem to have any menu options..
post #1164 of 3808
I'm considering buying the HF100 but I got a few questions:

1. I'm confused about the transfer rate (from SD card to computer). I've read somewhere that it takes forever and some say its quicker compared to a HDV format. Which is the truth?

2. Does the processor/memory of the computer matter even if you're just transferring from camcorder/SD card to computer hard drive? I'm planning to go on a vacation and not planning to take a computer with me but I am planning to take a portable hard drive and will use whichever computer is available to transfer from camcorder to hard drive.

4. Once I've transferred a footage to my computer would I be able to watch it as is without editing or using special program?

Thanks in advance!
post #1165 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by petshopboy View Post


1. I'm confused about the transfer rate (from SD card to computer). I've read somewhere that it takes forever and some say its quicker compared to a HDV format. Which is the truth?


SD can be much faster. HDV is a fixed 25Mb/s. SDHC read rates can be anything from 10-30MB/s (80 - 240Mb/s). There's no upper limit, just depends which card you buy and the card reader you use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petshopboy View Post


2. Does the processor/memory of the computer matter even if you're just transferring from camcorder/SD card to computer hard drive?

Nope. At these transfer rates, any processor can keep up. Since it's only marshalling data from one bus to another, the amount of RAM shouldn't matter much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petshopboy View Post

4. Once I've transferred a footage to my computer would I be able to watch it as is without editing or using special program?

Most camcorders come with software that at least allows you to play back the footage, or do some rudimentary editing. Be warned, though, that software-based AVCHD playback requires a hefty CPU for smooth results. My T7500 Core2 duo runs at 85%, for example, using the bundled ImageMixer software. There are other products which can use your GPU for offloading, but that's an additional cost.

BTW, what happened to item 3?
post #1166 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlyshark View Post

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_8_Video.html

It's just the CD, but it's all you need and I love it.

I thought that version didn't come with the authoring software?
post #1167 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbec View Post

I dropped my HF100 off a tripod and broke it. I'm sending it to a an authorized repair facility for repair. My fingers are crossed.

I'll let you know what happens.

I just got the quote from Canon, $166. I am very relieved.
post #1168 of 3808
Has anyone use this cam to shoot of a TV Screen? More specifically a front projector? If so how is the quality?

*Edit* - No this isn't for bootlegging. It's for video reviews of games.
post #1169 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellm View Post

I can not comment on how good the A-Data media is, but they definitely had some of the best looking girls at Computex last week in Taipei. Here is a shot from my HF100 using the Canon Wideangle lense. It had to be reduced to 1024x768 to attach.

I shot some decent video's with it last week and the quality looks pretty good. Files play fine on my PS3 either directly from my SDHC or connecting the camera to the PS3 via USB.


Unfortuately the Camera Flash does not work on it so I am going to need to return it and get another unit (I bought it at costco because of their 90 day return policy and double warranty)

Russell

Does costco accept returns with full refund of a HF100 if it has been opened and used?
post #1170 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapenguin View Post

Has anyone use this cam to shoot of a TV Screen? More specifically a front projector? If so how is the quality?

*Edit* - No this isn't for bootlegging. It's for video reviews of games.

As an initial test I took a short clip of a Laker/Spurs playoff game a few weeks ago on my 52" LCD HDTV and I was amazed at the quality of the recording! You could see every detail on the players on the recording, it was almost crystal clear. You could definitely tell it was a recording of a screen tho but the video quality was way better than I expected. I can definitely see it being useful for doing video game reviews. I'll try recording a session with Call of Duty 4 on the xbox 360 later tonight and reply at a later time. I'll see if I can put up stills of the video.
LL
LL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Camcorders
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › The "Official" Canon Vixia HF10 / HF100 Owner's Thread