or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › The "Official" Canon Vixia HF10 / HF100 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Canon Vixia HF10 / HF100 Owner's Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 3808
Beside DW-100 what option do we have to record high definition video from HF-10/100. DW-100 seems to be kind of single purpose device. I would like to expore some other devices to record also DVD from like DVR or copy DVD discs. Is there something else on the horizont we can use without locking ourselves to corner with this limited use device?
post #32 of 3808
You can use the Pixela software that comes with the camera to take the AVCHD footage and burn it to DVD-R's, those DVD-R's will play in blu-ray players in full HD.... I have tested this with my HF100 and it works great.... very easy to do.... with a dual layer DVD-R you should be able to get about an hour on a disc.....

dropping the SD card in the PS3 works great as well, too bad the PS3 can't view shared folders on my network, it would be nice to store the AVCHD files on my NAS drive, and browse to them on the PS3 to view.... the AVCHD files do not work with the media server setup that the PS3 has access to....







Quote:
Originally Posted by kosinar View Post

Beside DW-100 what option do we have to record high definition video from HF-10/100. DW-100 seems to be kind of single purpose device. I would like to expore some other devices to record also DVD from like DVR or copy DVD discs. Is there something else on the horizont we can use without locking ourselves to corner with this limited use device?
post #33 of 3808
I will connect my HF100 to the PS3 and see if it picks up the SD card inside...


Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL View Post

HF 10 users does a PS3 recognize the internal flash memory? Also does it detect a SDHC card inside a HF 10/100?
post #34 of 3808
Anyone know a way to play AVCHD files on a Mac aside from within iMovie? I've tried Mplayer and VLC and neither work very well.....
post #35 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikse View Post

Anyone know a way to play AVCHD files on a Mac aside from within iMovie? I've tried Mplayer and VLC and neither work very well.....

Did u try the virtural windows thing with Mplayer & VLC?
post #36 of 3808
Will the xbox 360 media center stream avchd files from the network?
post #37 of 3808
using parallels on my mac quad core 3GHz, I was able to play them using the pixela player, but the screen redraw is slow and it doesn't quite play right.... I was able to use the pixela software in parallels and burn the avchd footage to the DVD-R's....

optimally, native mac avchd support via quicktime would be great, I have a mac-mini hooked up to my 71" Samsung DLP, and use frontrow to browse all my previous video footage over the network from the couch.... I can still do that if I use imovie to import/export the avchd footage to m4v, but that takes a LONG time....


Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL View Post

Did u try the virtural windows thing with Mplayer & VLC?
post #38 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat9 View Post

Will the xbox 360 media center stream avchd files from the network?


No...not yet.
post #39 of 3808
Just wanted to give any potential HF100 buyers a heads up. Computers4sure has the HF100 for $754.95 and free shipping. I ordered one yesterday and it is on its way.
post #40 of 3808
I also got a pretty good deal on the SanDisk 8GB Extreme III SDHC card. The card is $80.99 and free shipping. Plus if you apply for the new Revolution credit card on the site you get $50.00 off your first order, so the card cost me $30.99. I know you can get other cards cheaper, but I wanted to make sure that the card was as fast as possible for good transfer rates, plus they are suppose to be a very durable and reliable card.
post #41 of 3808
Just placed an order for a HF100 from Computers4sure. No sales tax and free shipping to Utah. I clicked through fatwallet for the 2% cash back.

I also ordered a Transcend 16GB SDHC with a compact card reader for about $72 shipped from Newegg.com and a 6ft mini-hdmi to hdmi cable for around $8 shipped from Monoprice.com
post #42 of 3808
the PS3 does not see the memory card of the HF100 when connected via USB, so it probably won't see the HF10's internal memory either....
post #43 of 3808
Ordered for a HF100 from Computers4sure for 16% off retail with no sales tax and free shipping to Georgia (thx circuit1 and mikeslc).

What do suggest for AVCHD editing software for an old AMD +4600 dual-core, XP pro, 1GB RAM??
post #44 of 3808
Hi all I am new to the forum. I ordered the HF10/819 battery pack/ filter set/ & transcend 16gb memory card. I am hoping that this camera lives up to the reviews. I have been waiting for HD & flash memory at a reasonable price & good performance. I have 2 Macs & a Dell although I would prefer using my Macs for video editing. I am just going to buy memory cards for each trip until Mac comes out with a Blue Ray burner drive then I will buy a new computer. My worry is that if I load the HD video on to my computer how will I be able to retrieve it without a HD burner of some sort. Also I will lose my ability to watch the video in HD until some sort of solution for burning or streaming HD to my tv. Maybe the Apple TV thing would work. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks Rob
post #45 of 3808
Has anyone who ordered from Dell received their order yet?
post #46 of 3808
You can burn the raw AVCHD footage from the camera to DVD-DL discs an store an hour on each disc. Those discs will play in blu-ray players. To view on a mac, you can put those discs in and open imovie to play. To view via Apple TV, you'll need to import and export to m4v, a long and time consuming process....

If we could open shared folders with the PS3, we could have an AVCHD streaming solution...


Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2ski View Post

Hi all I am new to the forum. I ordered the HF10/819 battery pack/ filter set/ & transcend 16gb memory card. I am hoping that this camera lives up to the reviews. I have been waiting for HD & flash memory at a reasonable price & good performance. I have 2 Macs & a Dell although I would prefer using my Macs for video editing. I am just going to buy memory cards for each trip until Mac comes out with a Blue Ray burner drive then I will buy a new computer. My worry is that if I load the HD video on to my computer how will I be able to retrieve it without a HD burner of some sort. Also I will lose my ability to watch the video in HD until some sort of solution for burning or streaming HD to my tv. Maybe the Apple TV thing would work. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks Rob
post #47 of 3808
I have a question. If you goto Apple.com they clearly say iMovie can handle AVCHD. That being said is the problem that the media cannot be burned? What is everyone doing then who has macs?

What is the burner solution canon is showing? I too am a bit concerned

I ordered from Dell 2 weeks ago none in stock yet.
post #48 of 3808
"To view on a mac, you can put those discs in and open imovie to play"

Do I need Imovie 08? I have last years Imovie.
post #49 of 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBILITYTODAY View Post

I have a question. If you goto Apple.com they clearly say iMovie can handle AVCHD. That being said is the problem that the media cannot be burned? What is everyone doing then who has macs?

What is the burner solution canon is showing? I too am a bit concerned

I ordered from Dell 2 weeks ago none in stock yet.

You can burn data discs. I'm sure, but thats not today that apple will have some avchd support that matchs PC's. Thats something that the PC man from the apple comercials could fire back to the apple guy but not for long.
post #50 of 3808
Oh boy! Any ideas for me Mac owners? Should I cancel my order? ARGHHHH
post #51 of 3808
yes, you need imovie 08....

the burner than canon shows will just burn the avchd footage to dvd so it can be archived and played back in blu-ray players, nothing you can't do with your computer....

the HF10/100 works fine with imovie, I don't think imovie/idvd had any HD burning options?
post #52 of 3808
Thats my problem. So my only option is to buy the Canon DVD to offload ACVHD? Then purchase a BlueRay DVD player and play those videos on it?
post #53 of 3808
you can burn the AVCHD files to DVD-R DVD-R DL on the mac, just copy the files from the card and burn em. You will need a blu ray player to play them on your TV.... OR just hook the HF100/10 up to the TV and play the files on the SD cards....




Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBILITYTODAY View Post

Thats my problem. So my only option is to buy the Canon DVD to offload ACVHD? Then purchase a BlueRay DVD player and play those videos on it?
post #54 of 3808
Quick Question..

Since only 30 minutes fits on a DVD in AVDHC wouldn't it be better to buy a bunch of 4GB SDHC cards so this way you know a full 4GB SDHC card will fit perfectly on a DVD?

If I buy a 16GB SDHC card I will still need to crop my vids down to 4GB segments anyway to fit on a DVD?

Thoughts? Ideas?
post #55 of 3808
I think in six months the Macs will have Blue Ray drives. For now I will transfer my footage to an external hard drive for retrieval when I get a blue ray burner or new computer.
post #56 of 3808
computer4sure has the the HF10 for $910.95 shipped. the cheapest HF100 is $730 from cameraaddict. add $75 for 16GB mem card and your up to $805. so about $100 dollars cheaper. of course, for some people the coloring being black will be worth the extra $100.
post #57 of 3808
I would think twice before buying from Cameraddict. You can check their reviews at resellerratings, they are rated really bad by customers. I have never bought from them myself but the reviews are not good. Just wanted to warn you guys.
post #58 of 3808
post #59 of 3808
It would be great if someone could answer my question about the 4GB SDHC cards.
post #60 of 3808
Each time you press 'stop' and then start to record again, the camera creates a new file. Even if you are recording a long event and never press stop, I believe The camera will never record a file larger than 2gb. I don't believe there would be any advantage to only using 4gb cards.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Camcorders
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › The "Official" Canon Vixia HF10 / HF100 Owner's Thread